Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Further degradation of our civil rights

Further degradation of our civil rights (Page 3)
subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 21, 2013, 04:46 PM

My apologies, not my intent (no snark).

I admit, I'm a little taken aback by your ambivalence when it comes to your UScentrism. That's not a bad thing in your book?

People hate us for that shit, and I can't say I blame them.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 21, 2013, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
My apologies, not my intent (no snark).

I admit, I'm a little taken aback by your ambivalence when it comes to your UScentrism. That's not a bad thing in your book?

People hate us for that shit, and I can't say I blame them.
I think you've completely lost context on the discussion. I'm US Centric is use of the political compass when talking about US politics. And I do this mostly out of necessity – do any conservatives on here give a shit that in the rest of the world they're considered fringe and the US liberals moderates? No. If I start calling all of the Democrats policies 'moderate' because I'm using the rest of the world as reference won't I get caught up in endless semantic arguments?

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 21, 2013, 05:05 PM

Vis-a-vis "semantic warfare", not the best example, but whenever I say "we can (and should) have a political spectrum which is global, historically applicable, consistent, and resistant to diddling by interest groups", the response I get is "**** YOU! **** YOU, MOTHER****ER!*"

*Slightly exaggerated for effect.

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 21, 2013, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
I think you've completely lost context on the discussion. I'm US Centric is use of the political compass when talking about US politics. And I do this mostly out of necessity – do any conservatives on here give a shit that in the rest of the world they're considered fringe and the US liberals moderates? No. If I start calling all of the Democrats policies 'moderate' because I'm using the rest of the world as reference won't I get caught up in endless semantic arguments?
You've got to start somewhere. I'll take potential semantic confusion over lack of reasoning. Every time.

It's also not endless. While I don't think I've made my position as clear as it could be for you (though I'm trying), you have a better handle on it than you did, so the next discussion will require less clarification.

FWIW, I'm not the only person to slice up the spectrum this way, so it's not quite one man vs. the world. If a well reasoned spectrum exists (which I maintain it does), multiple people are going to arrive at it despite the overwhelming pressure to stick with the status quo.

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Nov 22, 2013, 08:30 AM

You guys are arguing semantics with reality. Literally doesn't mean literally anymore. I don't like it, but reality is literally now means figuratively. Its like arguing about how people use the term ironically. You're just wasting everyones time. What liberal should mean doesn't matter. There aren't enough "real " liberals to flip the definition back.
I wasn't arguing semantics with reality, but affirming what has indeed become reality. These terms are a "brand" that gives the audience a general sense of that brand's advocacy. No memo went out to the public that these brands had evolved or had been hijacked, they just did. I was also reminding the audience of what "Conservative" means in the US and how that differs slightly from the term when used more broadly.

You'll rarely see me use the term "liberal" for just the reasons you indicate, instead opting for "leftist" or "progressive" as these align more effectively with their pro-establishment advocacy.

He'll likely rue the day I offered a compliment, but OldManMac is likely the closest thing to a classic liberal on this board and frankly -- I miss these types.
ebuddy

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 22, 2013, 03:20 PM

@Dakar,

Am I being punished for unsatisfactory discussion?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 22, 2013, 03:35 PM

I'm busy

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 22, 2013, 03:53 PM

I'll wait till Monday then.

No lack of satisfaction there.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 22, 2013, 04:01 PM

Don't hold you breath. Someone is out with surgery and I'm covering their workload, as well as mine.

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 22, 2013, 04:11 PM

Reality takes a shit on my posts yet again.

Snow-i
Professional Poster
Nov 22, 2013, 07:52 PM

Don't hold you breath. Someone is out with surgery and I'm covering their workload, as well as mine.
I hope they didn't lose their insurance plan like millions of other Americans.

Forum Links
Forum Rules