Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Downloaded .dmg / doc files won't open

Downloaded .dmg / doc files won't open
dzp111
Senior User
Nov 2, 2009, 06:23 PM

I guess it's been happening since Snow Leopard, but when downloading .dmg files (i.e. Flip4Mac), or a .doc file, there's no way of opening them.

Furthermore, if I download such files with Firefox, the file disappears from my desktop should I quit Firefox.

If I do the same with Safari, the file stays on my desktop but won't open, except the .doc file which only opens if I launch Word then open file in Menu. Double-clicking it won't do it.

Any ideas?
.................................................. .................................................. ..................................www.DNCH.com

.................................................. .................................................. .......................www.daniel.poirier.com

ibook_steve
Nov 2, 2009, 07:01 PM

Right-click (or control click) one of the files and select Get Info. See what the "Open with" application is and make sure it is set to Word for the Word docs and DiskImageMounter for the .dmg files.

As for downloading files with Firefox, check FF preferences to make sure you've selected a download location for the files or that you manually select a location whenever you download a file.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

dzp111  (op)
Senior User
Nov 2, 2009, 07:31 PM

Thanks Steve.

Right-click (or control click) one of the files and select Get Info. See what the "Open with" application is and make sure it is set to Word for the Word docs and DiskImageMounter for the .dmg files.
-Check (all good)

As for downloading files with Firefox, check FF preferences to make sure you've selected a download location for the files or that you manually select a location whenever you download a file.
-Check (all good)

But no go.

I noticed 2 things while going through the above. While the prefs (and Get Info) are set to open .dmg files with Diskimagemounter, it insists to try and open with Stuffit. Stuffit icon bounces until it quits.

Also, I can't seem to find DiskImageMounter application anywhere.
.................................................. .................................................. ..................................www.DNCH.com

.................................................. .................................................. .......................www.daniel.poirier.com

Cold Warrior
Nov 2, 2009, 07:45 PM

Start Disk Utility (in Apps/Utilities), click File menu > Open. Try to open your dmg this way to prevent stuffit from opening.

dzp111  (op)
Senior User
Nov 2, 2009, 07:50 PM

Start Disk Utility (in Apps/Utilities), click File menu > Open. Try to open your dmg this way to prevent stuffit from opening.
That worked. Thanks.

Will I have to open .dmg files this way from now on?

reader50
Administrator
Nov 2, 2009, 08:43 PM

/System/Library/CoreServices/DiskImageMounter.app

This is probably from Snow Leopard ignoring creator codes on files. That would be my first guess anyway - Firefox is setting the desired code, but SL sends the file elsewhere. Not sure why the files would vanish from the desktop though.

dzp111  (op)
Senior User
Nov 2, 2009, 08:53 PM

/System/Library/CoreServices/DiskImageMounter.app
Found it. However it won't launch by either double-clicking on it or right-click>Open.

Not sure why the files would vanish from the desktop though.
Only with FF, not with Safari.

Would Repair Permissions help? Haven't done that in a long while.

Forum Links
Forum Rules