Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > iLife '06 [Macworld Official Thread]

iLife '06 [Macworld Official Thread] (Page 3)
pliny
Mac Elite
Jan 13, 2006, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by magnitude
If you buy a software product less than a month before the new product was released, and the employees in the Apple store have no knowledge that a new product was coming out, it just makes good PR sense to allow someone to exchange the old product for the new. If employees of the company don't "know" the product is coming out, they can't expect the public to "assume" the product is coming out.
I agree.

Originally Posted by barney ntd
All your arguments, Pliny, amount to one thing: "I want to pay less". That means either someone else has to pay more, or the market has to grow. Since almost everyone who has a mac has ilife, growing the market means selling more macs, which Apple has been trying to do for years. So who should pay more?
I think the key word in your reply is "pay"--I want to pay for stuff I'll use. Naturally I want to get a good deal--you don't? Ok. Apple should make it easier for more people to buy software. I think they can stand to be a bit more creative in this area. Like I said, upgrade paths are not revolutionary, they are standard. Apple likes to compare iLife to Office, which has many upgrade paths and flavors. You can even buy and upgrade to the specific components of it.

Originally Posted by barney ntd
I don't understand how you can believe that more complicated sales structures are free. They just aren't.
Well, to be you fair you are responding to a point I didn't make, but which you made. Anyway, I can think of a couple of ways off the top of my head to sell upgrades that don't entail an entire package, if Apple can't with all their resources, yet MS (to cite one big one) can, and with a variety of different packages to boot...well, hmm. Sheesh, we are not inventing the wheel here!
i look in your general direction

magnitude
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 13, 2006, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by mpancha
Forget the fact that most manufacturors announce their new products months in advance, instead of at release, the logic remains the same.
Ummm ... but it shouldn't. The whole point is, as you say, MOST MANUFACTURERS ANNOUNCE THEIR PRODUCTS MONTHS IN ADVANCE.

Are companies required to provide an exchange? Of course not.
Would providing an exchange in this situation be a good PR move? ABSOLUTELY

At a minimum, why not drop the price of iLife '05 to $39 or $49 a month or two before '06 bis released?

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Jan 13, 2006, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by magnitude
Ummm ... but it shouldn't. The whole point is, as you say, MOST MANUFACTURERS ANNOUNCE THEIR PRODUCTS MONTHS IN ADVANCE.
You must be new to Apple.

magnitude, meet Apple, one of the most secretive company (for what I thought were obvious reasons.)

Apple, meet magnitude, someone that has just learned a valuable lesson today.

There's also the fact that it makes no business sense to announce that something new is right around the corner and risk losing sales. But I won't get into that, I'll let schools teach that to you.

Kiddo311
Jan 13, 2006, 12:00 PM

people: could we please drop this years old endless discussion and get back on topic: i want first hand impression reports on iweb and iphoto.

is it possible now in iphoto to import an existing folder-structure of picture-folders?

Kiddo

kman42
Professional Poster
Jan 13, 2006, 12:18 PM

It's $79, people! It's already an upgrade price. I would argue that the people who don't own it and are paying $79 are getting the deal of the century! Six programs, 3-4 of them near the best in their class on any platform. Each one could sell for $79 by itself.

Quit bitching. Buy it and be happy or don't buy it and be happy. Or, be a dick and go pirate it. Period.

Sorry, I don't usually get so truculent around here, but this is ridiculous.

kman

P_lam0
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 13, 2006, 12:50 PM

Goes

P_lam0
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 13, 2006, 12:52 PM

Does the iweb application allows users to upload to a different location, other than .mac, all the apple webiste mentions is that it can easily create website and upload, with the click of a button to .mac!

What about my own webpage??

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 13, 2006, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by P_lam0
Does the iweb application allows users to upload to a different location, other than .mac, all the apple webiste mentions is that it can easily create website and upload, with the click of a button to .mac!

What I read is that you can't upload to anything else but .mac. If you want to publish to your own webpage you need to save to your hard disk and upload yourself.

:dragonflypro:
Senior User
Jan 13, 2006, 01:25 PM

Just reading this thread of whining at my hourly rate is approaching the price of a copy of iLife.

It's a shame, really.

mrwilly123
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 13, 2006, 01:29 PM

You guys. Apple is not a person, it is not your friend whose motives you have to defend. It is a company whose only goal is to make money.

I also love their products and buy them, but I'm not going to actually attack someone who just thinks he is paying too much money. What are you all thinking?

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Jan 13, 2006, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by mrwilly123
You guys. Apple is not a person, it is not your friend whose motives you have to defend. It is a company whose only goal is to make money.

I also love their products and buy them, but I'm not going to actually attack someone who just thinks he is paying too much money. What are you all thinking?
We're not defending Apple, we're showing some people here the error in their ways, Mr. Product-Lover.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Jan 13, 2006, 02:18 PM

Agreed. Apple is a company out to make money. Don't like their products and/or policies - don't buy from them. It's really quite simple. I didn't like it that they revised the iMac with an iSight camera, Front Row, Remote, etc. just 4 months after the I bought my Rev. B but I didn't publicly whine about it on a forum. And that was a $1900 purchase, not an $80 one.

Personally, I think the people who frequent this forum should know better than to purchase anything from Apple 1-2 months before a MacWorld Expo. The same thing happens EVERY year and people still make the same mistake (i.e. buying software and/or hardware in Nov/Dec when they know Apple will release, or potentially release, new things in January).

vaccy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 13, 2006, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by adamskwersky
You know what? I don't mind spending $79 per year to get the latest iLife, but I had only just purchased iLife 05 last December 2005, and had no inkling that 06 was less than a month away (my bad????).

I purchased iLife 05 on December 15, 2005, expecting to get the most UP TO DATE iLife suite. Yet less than a month after I recieve the product, Apple announces iLife 06. Guess what, they won't let me exchange or upgrade my product. I have to purchase the complete product iLife 06. I feel like I was baited and switched. There was no warning that a new iLife was coming out (Apple advertises it as a must-have upgrade). If I had known it was coming out I would have waited. Don't tell me I should have expected it. Would you buy a 2005 model car at full price now that a 2006 model is out?

If you purchased iLife 05 in December 2005, feel upset about the recent upgrade, I recommend you call Apple to let them know how stiffed you feel.
Looks like the cut off date was 1-10-06 but you can ask...
http://www.apple.com/ilife/uptodate/
( Last edited by vaccy; Jan 13, 2006 at 03:09 PM. )

pliny
Mac Elite
Jan 13, 2006, 03:08 PM

Ah yes, we are all old timers, we know that Apple likes to ThinkSecretâ„¢ and drop little surprises that come with nice new programs and features. HOWEVER (clearing throat). If recent data are true it seems there are batches of unsuspecting former Windows-only users who do not know that their nice software (and it is nice if it has a new program that is nice, hence the desire to get it, preferably as cheap as possible, say $5) is not current. Big deal? Nooo. Irritating? Maybe!

What's the big deal about offering a $25 iApp singleton? As far as making the "mistake" of getting software in Nov/Dec, aren't we at least assuming, just to continue the whining for another page or two mind you, that the buyer could have waited? Maybe he needed to do some photo editing, or movie editing, or whatever, ASAP. They used to sell the iApps individually before the "iLife" wrapper was around. I think iMovie was like $49!
i look in your general direction

adamskwersky
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 13, 2006, 03:58 PM

I appreciate that people are finally having a discussion about this and that it wasn't just me vs. everyone else. For the record:

1) I was the original person who 'whined' about Apple not providing an upgrade to a product I had only purchased 20 days before iLife 06 was announced.
2) I DO think iLife 05 was worth the $80 I paid for it, WHEN I BOUGHT IT, but according to eBay 'market price setter' its only 'worth' $15-20 now. Why is that? I think the consumers rightly percieve that iLife 06 is much more superior than iLife 05. I could very well desire to pay $80 for iLife 07 when it comes out (even though I have no use for GarageBand). It is not the price of the product I was complaining about. It was the lack of upgrade policy for recent customers.
3) I never called anyone else a fanatic and say that they were fanatics because they disagreed with me. I said "WE", as in US as in including me, fanatics.
4) Yes I would have felt different if I had bought iLife 05 in July instead of December, but thats beside the point. My point is it was LESS THAN A MONTH. Its just plain good customer relations to allow your customers upgrade relief in that situation, ESPECIALLY since Apple is so secretive. Does anyone disagree with that point??? That its good customer relations?? hmm??
5) One of the main reasons I bought the software was to get the new book templates so we could create a book in time for the holidays. So I really wasn't paying much attention to when or if a new product would be coming out. Who has time to think like that during the holidays anymore?
6) I bought the product form the Apple Store online, so no I couldn't look at the box and find out when it actually got released.
7) I do not frequent this forum. So does that mean I shouldn't have known better?
8) There is a software update program for iLife 06 (or Mac). unless you've purchased a computer recently.

To the moderator: I am sorry this thread appears to be off topic to you, but to me it appears on topic since it says "iLife 06" and in a previous thread you said "I am closing this thread because there is already an iLife thread". I will refrain from any future posts on this topic if you so want it.

JohnCoffee
Forum Regular
Jan 13, 2006, 04:19 PM

Today, I wanted to order iLife '06 and iWork '06 through the Apple store here in Switzerland. Unfortunately the time until Apple will ship them from the store takes as long as 3 weeks (!) I question myself why they are available now in the US and 3 weeks later in Europe. Maybe the printing of the box or whatever.

Anybody got a idea, where I can buy these programs in the U.S. now?

Thanks
John

nerd
Senior User
Jan 13, 2006, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by P_lam0

When you tell it to Publish to a Folder it asks for the URL for your site. From there you can upload the exported site on your own. I haven't tried it. I only opened the site from the exported folder on the desktop and it worked fine there.

bilbo--baggins
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 13, 2006, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by slugslugslug
Anyone at MacWorld play around with iPhoto yet? Does it handle RAW photos any better than '05? Like, if you open one in your external editor, does it open the RAW or the iPhoto-generated jpeg? Can you adjust any of the exposure/white-balance parameters from within iPhoto?

That'd be cool.

Tooki, don't you think it'd be okay to have separate threads for the individual Apps in iLife '06? They're all pretty substantial and can probably each spawn lotsa discussion..
You will be very pleased to learn that Apple have (partially at least) overcome this major flaw of previous versions of iPhoto.

Advanced preferences gives you 3 options 1) default conversion to jpeg, 2) conversion to 16 bit TIFF 3) use RAW when using external editor.

The only problem I have now, is when I double click a photo, it opens the RAW image in Photoshop, I don't know how to save the edited image so it appears in iPhoto (without re-importing it - which would largely defeat the purpose...)

Anyone worked out how to do this, let me know please!

In answer to your other question, unfortunately no - there is no way of influencing the RAW conversion within iPhoto, it's still horrible as in iPhoto 5. Some of my photos are still yellow, but when I open them in Photoshop the colour (white balance) is fine. I almost got excited when I found the menu option 'Reprocess RAW' but unfortunately it didn't make any difference (at first I wondered if I was looking at iPhoto 5's conversion, and choosing 'Reprocess RAW' would create a nicely improved iPhoto 6 conversion, but alas no!

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Jan 13, 2006, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by JohnCoffee
Today, I wanted to order iLife '06 and iWork '06 through the Apple store here in Switzerland. Unfortunately the time until Apple will ship them from the store takes as long as 3 weeks (!) I question myself why they are available now in the US and 3 weeks later in Europe. Maybe the printing of the box or whatever.

Anybody got a idea, where I can buy these programs in the U.S. now?

Thanks
John
I think the reason why iLife and iWord aren't available in Europe or Japan is because the localizations aren't complete yet. Once they've translated everything for European countries and Japan, they'll ship iLife there.

If you can find iLife '06 somewhere in the US, that would be your best bet. Try a nearby (or far away Apple Store).

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 13, 2006, 08:19 PM

iWeb's Publish to Folder, Uploaded to my server

Under File, iWeb has a 'Publish to Folder' and then you enter the url where the site will be. That link is the result of a template that I made, published, and uploaded. It works well.

lavar78
Professional Poster
Jan 13, 2006, 10:48 PM

The part in bold is important. I'd wager they did enough research to determine what the best price point for iLife is and whether they should offer upgrades. They may be right or they may be wrong. It seems like you're criticizing them for trying to make money.

I'm thinking he doesn't have to pay any money at all. Of course, I didn't attack him, so you probably weren't talking to me.

Yes I would have felt different if I had bought iLife 05 in July instead of December, but thats beside the point. My point is it was LESS THAN A MONTH. Its just plain good customer relations to allow your customers upgrade relief in that situation, ESPECIALLY since Apple is so secretive. Does anyone disagree with that point??? That its good customer relations?? hmm??
I agree with you, but that's irrelevant. Would it be nice if there were an upgrade path? Sure. Would it be nice if QuickTime Pro had upgrade pricing? Definitely. However, it's Apple's prerogative to set the price of its software however it chooses. Personally, I think iLife '06 is worth the money, so I bought it. As far as I can see, your only constructive recourse is to call Apple and ask for a price break. If they don't give you one, buy it or don't.

"I'm virtually bursting with adequatulence!" - Bill McNeal, NewsRadio

zoetrope
Jan 13, 2006, 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by lavar78
Would it be nice if there were an upgrade path? Sure. Would it be nice if QuickTime Pro had upgrade pricing? Definitely. However, it's Apple's prerogative to set the price of its software however it chooses. Personally, I think iLife '06 is worth the money, so I bought it.
iLife is a bargain compared to Windows equivalent software of the same quality. And to those who are purchasing iLife software within 60 days of a MacWorld keynote, I have some news for you. You are probably new to the Mac dimension, and while this isn't written anywhere in stone, its almost a guarantee (99.5% I'd say) that a new version of iLife is announced every single MacWorld. I'm certain it has for at least that last three. Rule of thumb...don't purchase any new software/hardware so close to MacWorld if you are easily annoyed by upgrades so soon after a purchase.
That being said, Apple should be more supportive when someone purchases a software product , say within 30 days or so, of a major upgrade. At least a $10 trade-in would be nice.
-- Power Mac G5 Dual 2.7GHz | 2.5GB RAM | 2x250GB HDs | 16x SuperDrive | 20" ACD
-- PowerBook G4 12" 1.33GHz | 1.25GB RAM | 80GB HD | 4x SuperDrive
-- Mac mini G4 1.42GHz | 512MB RAM | 80GB HD | Combo Drive

semprini
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 14, 2006, 12:58 AM

Quick question: Does iPhoto 6 do anything more clever than iPhoto 5 with regards to the photo filenames in the iPhoto library? It'd be a pleasant surprise if renaming photos in the library actually renames them in the folder structure. If Apple's fixed that nuisance, it just might compel me to pay for an upgrade...

mrwilly123
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 14, 2006, 02:48 AM

Originally Posted by pliny
They used to sell the iApps individually before the "iLife" wrapper was around. I think iMovie was like $49!
Nah...they were all free before the iLife wrapper was around...at least iMovie and iPhoto were. Was iDVD?

bilbo--baggins
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 14, 2006, 04:27 AM

Nah...they were all free before the iLife wrapper was around...at least iMovie and iPhoto were. Was iDVD?
None of them were ever sold individually. I think that they were free with new Macs, but weren't available for download - just like the current situation with Front Row (grrr).

JLL
Professional Poster
Jan 14, 2006, 05:32 AM

iMovie upgrades was sold seperately. You got iMovie with your Mac but you had to pay for new versions.
JLL

- My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.

iamnotmad
Senior User
Jan 14, 2006, 09:41 AM

Quick iLife 06 Nooob question: Are homepages (to publish photos simply) in iPhoto simply gone, in favor of iWeb publishing?
Thanks

adamskwersky
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 14, 2006, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by lavar78
The part in bold is important. I'd wager they did enough research to determine what the best price point for iLife is and whether they should offer upgrades. They may be right or they may be wrong. It seems like you're criticizing them for trying to make money.
I guess I didn't mention that I also own a bunch of AAPL stock and could sell just one share to get iLife 06. I REALLY DO WANT Apple to make lots of money since I am a stockholder, but I sure hope they did their research regarding how many potential purchases they'd lose on customers who feel cheated by lack of upgrade path for recent purchases.

kman42
Professional Poster
Jan 14, 2006, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by mdc
iWeb's Publish to Folder, Uploaded to my server

Under File, iWeb has a 'Publish to Folder' and then you enter the url where the site will be. That link is the result of a template that I made, published, and uploaded. It works well.

Dan got schooled by some hotties...

mrwilly123
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 14, 2006, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by bilbo--baggins
None of them were ever sold individually. I think that they were free with new Macs, but weren't available for download - just like the current situation with Front Row (grrr).
Originally Posted by JLL
iMovie upgrades was sold seperately. You got iMovie with your Mac but you had to pay for new versions.
I'm pretty sure that I remember downloading new versions of iPhoto and iMovie.

From Wikipedia:
The first versions of iMovie, iTunes, iPhoto, iDVD, GarageBand and iWeb were released in that order. The first three programs were originally available free via Apple's website, while iDVD was available only with computers that included SuperDrives.

Wasn't the deal with iLife ('03, though they didn't give it a year) that all the programs in it were free, except you had to buy the $49 package to get iDVD? And then iLife '04 made none of the apps (except iTunes) downloadable.

JLL
Professional Poster
Jan 14, 2006, 01:11 PM

I'm pretty sure that iMovie 2 wasn't a free update - remember that this is for Mac OS 9 as iMovie 2 was included with Mac OS X 10.0.
JLL

- My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 14, 2006, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by iamnotmad
Quick iLife 06 Nooob question: Are homepages (to publish photos simply) in iPhoto simply gone, in favor of iWeb publishing?
Thanks
It looks like the iWeb button in the iPhoto toolbar replaced homepage. Here's a screenshot of the toolbar and here are the iWeb options
( Last edited by mdc; Jan 14, 2006 at 02:07 PM. )

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Jan 14, 2006, 04:22 PM

Does holding down Option when launching iPhoto allow you to use different library locations, like in iPhoto 5?

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 14, 2006, 06:56 PM

I've just noticed something interesting.... Not that it makes much of a real-world difference, but when backing up my iLife '06 install DVD, I noticed its size is over 6GB, and Toast 7 indicates it is in fact on a dual-layer DVD. I'm glad I just bought another 10-pack of DL DVDs!


Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 14, 2006, 07:01 PM

Does holding down Option when launching iPhoto allow you to use different library locations, like in iPhoto 5?
Yes.


tigas
Forum Regular
Jan 14, 2006, 08:41 PM

Why is it that when I opened my library in iPhoto6 the photos got all dark, contrasty and saturated, like they suddenly had gone from 24bit to 15bit? And when I open the pictures in Preview, they're correct ?! Am I missing something?

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 14, 2006, 09:23 PM

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned, but iPhoto 6 works with flickr rss feeds. I read it on daringfireball.net and just tested it now.

File > Subscribe to Photocast

Miniryu
Mac Elite
Jan 15, 2006, 04:17 AM

I'm pretty sure that I remember downloading new versions of iPhoto and iMovie.
iPhoto was free, not iMovie.

"Sing it again, rookie beyach."
My website

Miniryu
Mac Elite
Jan 15, 2006, 04:26 AM

So here's the link to my blog. I use Haloscan for the commenting, but I hate haloscan. Does iWeb have integrated commenting (like Wordpress does?) How about customizability? Would I be able to customize the blog to integrate with the rest of my page (like my current blog is integrated?)

I wish iDisk could be used with Wordpress, that would solve all my problems)

"Sing it again, rookie beyach."
My website

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 15, 2006, 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by Miniryu
iPhoto was free, not iMovie.
iMovie 1 - Only shipped on the original iMac DVs.
iMovie 2 - Shipped on all macs with Firewire. Upgrade price was $50.
iMovie 3 - The only version that was available as a free download. (Coincidentally is shipped with the most bugs and was slower than any other version of iMovie.) Part of iLife 03.
iMovie 4 to 6 - Part of iLife. Pay $79 or buy a new mac.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 15, 2006, 06:19 AM

Does the new iPhoto finally allow you to pick and choose which photos you get to import from the digital camera? I've been requesting this feature since version 2.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

kcmac
Mac Elite
Jan 15, 2006, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by Stogieman
Does the new iPhoto finally allow you to pick and choose which photos you get to import from the digital camera? I've been requesting this feature since version 2.
Haven't we all? I would like to know as well.

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Jan 15, 2006, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by Stogieman
Not AFAICT from plugging my camera in and hitting iPhoto's Import button or from perusing the preferences. There's a pretty good workaround using Image Capture, though (and I'm pretty sure it works w/previous versions of iPhoto):
1) Launch Image Capture and select Preferences.. In the General tab, tell it to launch Image Capture when a camera is connected.

2) connect your camera. Image Capture will come to the front, and its window will have a pop-up menu for Automatic Task. Choose "Other..." from it, then navigate to iPhoto in the resulting Open dialog box.

3) Click on the Options... button to review other options before downloading (such as auto-deleting pics off your camera).

4) Click Download Some... which will then allow you to choose pics (and rotate them if necessary), then Download when you're ready.
Some notes on the above:
1) if you tell IC to delete pics from the camera when importing and then you use Download Some... , it'll only delete the ones that you actually import. This may or may not be what you expect, but it's a good idea, to prevent accidental hard-to-recover loss of a picture.

2) This works more like dragging files to iPhoto than like using its Import button. IC puts the pics in a folder, then iPhoto copies (not moves) them into its Library folder structure (if that; in iPhoto 6 it might just keep track of them where they are without making its own copies, depending on your Prefs). So if you want iPhoto to handle the file management, you may want to create a temp folder for IC to import into, then set up an AppleScript or Automator action to clear it out every so often..
( Last edited by slugslugslug; Jan 15, 2006 at 01:36 PM. )

LeeG
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 15, 2006, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by kman42
It's $79, people! It's already an upgrade price. I would argue that the people who don't own it and are paying $79 are getting the deal of the century! Six programs, 3-4 of them near the best in their class on any platform. Each one could sell for $79 by itself.

Quit bitching. Buy it and be happy or don't buy it and be happy. Or, be a dick and go pirate it. Period.

Sorry, I don't usually get so truculent around here, but this is ridiculous.

kman

Finally someone so perfectly put into words what I was thinking.

L
iPhone 3G 16Gb
24" 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo iMac, 4GB/320GB/256MB
12" AlBook 1Ghz/768Mb/80Gb/Combo/AX

adamskwersky
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 15, 2006, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by LeeG
Finally someone so perfectly put into words what I was thinking.

L
L,

Actually, kman missed the original point I had made, which was that I had purchased the iLife '05 20 days before iLife 06 was announced, and I was disappointed that Apple didn't provide an update deal of some kind for such recent purchases. I had no problem paying $79 for the iLife 05 product, which I had done approx Dec 20, 2005.

Adam

kcmac
Mac Elite
Jan 15, 2006, 09:21 PM

Not AFAICT from plugging my camera in and hitting iPhoto's Import button or from perusing the preferences. There's a pretty good workaround using Image Capture, though (and I'm pretty sure it works w/previous versions of iPhoto):
Thanks for the reply. That is really disappointing. We know about the workaround. Come on Apple. This has to be one of the easier things you could do. Image Capture is a crutch.

Brian McHale
Jan 17, 2006, 12:48 PM

Actually, wsn't iLife $49 until they added Garageband?
Brian

stoneage
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 18, 2006, 02:09 PM

I am able to access my pictures, but says system files are missing and iPhoto quits.
W....liar or idiot? Pick two.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 18, 2006, 06:38 PM

I recently installed iLife '06 on my PowerBook G4. iPhoto 6 seems to work as advertised however I've noticed that the "Reveal Original in Finder" contextual menu is always disabled. Anyone else experiencing this problem?

OAW

ryaxnb
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 18, 2006, 07:28 PM

Excuse me, but last December it was only iLife '04, iLife '05. Two years in a row does not a trend make! Some would argue that the fast pace of improvements, '04, '05, '06, might not leave any room for improvements for iLife '07! At least not enough thats worth $80.

I had thought iLife 05 had all the big improvements and there wasn't much left to improve and that there probably wouldn't be another version for some time.
iLife version 1 was released on Jan 03. Now see the trend?
Trainiable is to cat as ability to live without food is to human.
Steveis... said: "What would scammers do with this info..." talking about a debit card number!

Forum Links
Forum Rules