Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Easiest way to find my IP address? (Besides browser)

Easiest way to find my IP address? (Besides browser)
dzp111
Senior User
Feb 1, 2010, 06:23 PM

I'm trying to help someone remotely. We both have Timbuktu but he's unable to get his browsers going so having him go to myipaddress site is moot.

Two problems have occurred from what I can see. First he gave his young daughters access to the Administrative account. Second, they went and played around with Parental controls in the Prefs, and who knows what else..

Now for me to go into his computer he needs to tell me his IP address so that I can go in via Timbuktu. But he has no browser (strangely we're able to Skype).

So how can he give me his IP address withought a browser? I looked around my own Network prefs but could'nt find anything helpful.

Appreciate any resolutions.

D
.................................................. .................................................. ..................................www.DNCH.com

.................................................. .................................................. .......................www.daniel.poirier.com

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 1, 2010, 07:12 PM

Depending on whether he’s on Tiger or Leopard/Snow Leopard [I think SL has things set up the same way as Leopard]:

Tiger
Go to System Preferences -> Network -> [the network interface he’s using, i.e., Ethernet/AirPort/etc.] -> TCP/IP fan. It’ll have his address there.

(Snow) Leopard
Go to System Preferences -> Network.
The active network interface (Ethernet/AirPort/etc.) should be at the top and already highlighted, so in the right-hand part of the window, it should give him his IP address under “Status”.

Of course, if he’s on a local network (for example, if he has a wireless router or accesses the Internet through a shared Internet connection in the building), his IP address will likely be useless to you, as you won’t be able to access his local IP address from outside his local network.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 1, 2010, 07:16 PM

DynDNS.com

Create an account, then install the updater client on his Mac, and it will automatically transmit the IP back to DynDNS.

-t

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 1, 2010, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
DynDNS.com

Create an account, then install the updater client on his Mac, and it will automatically transmit the IP back to DynDNS.

-t
How would you install the updater client on his Mac without access to the Mac or the Internet?

reader50
Administrator
Feb 1, 2010, 07:29 PM

This could get involved, especially if the OP is behind a router. Perhaps it would be simpler to have him revert to a Time Machine snapshot from before the daughters messed with network settings?

Alternatively, use a 2nd computer (or boot from a different partition) and visit the usual websites to see his external IP address. If a router is involved, the simplest way to make the troubled computer accessible would be to turn on DMZ for that computer.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 1, 2010, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by Oisín View Post
How would you install the updater client on his Mac without access to the Mac or the Internet?
Uhm, yeah, not really.

-t

dzp111  (op)
Senior User
Feb 1, 2010, 07:59 PM

Well, my friend in question lives an hour and a half from me. I told him that he might have to bring his iMac here if he wants it fixed. His bad. I expressively told him not to give administrative pw to his kids. Why he did is beyond me.

Isn't there a terminal line that would give out this info?
.................................................. .................................................. ..................................www.DNCH.com

.................................................. .................................................. .......................www.daniel.poirier.com

Cold Warrior
Feb 1, 2010, 08:03 PM

just have him do an archive-install. Does he have any OS X DVDs?

kido331
Feb 2, 2010, 02:46 AM

From Terminal.app

% ifconfig -a

you can also try

% traceroute www.google.com

additionally, you could enable logging on your machine for Skype as outlined

https://developer.skype.com/Support/...6a0b80508b0815

and then read the connection info after a skype session.
( Last edited by kido331; Feb 2, 2010 at 02:54 AM. )

Simon
Posting Junkie
Feb 2, 2010, 04:14 AM

Just get the free IP widget. From now on just launch Dashboard and you'll see your IP at once.

You can even chose which interface to get the IP for. If you're behind a router you'll want to make sure to select display of the WAN IP.

Forum Links
Forum Rules