Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPhone -Rogers? Or Bell??

iPhone -Rogers? Or Bell??
dzp111
Senior User
Jun 28, 2010, 03:39 PM

I have one year left on my contract with Rogers, but having looked at Bell's iPhone plans I'm wondering if it would be worth it for me to terminate contract with Rogers and switch to Bell.

The break down:

Rogers:
nearly $100.00 for;
-150 minutes
-free weekends and evenings after 9 pm!!
-6 Gigs (the most we've ever used up was about 5 mb)

Bell:
$65.00 + tx for;
-250 anytime local minutes plus 50 bonus local minutes
-free weekends and evenings after 6 pm!!
-1 GB of data for personal email, Internet browsing and tethering
-unlimited Wi-Fi at Starbucks
-and tethering
-Another $10.00 for 2500 text messaging

(ok, I just did my calculations. I'd be saving roughly $15.00 per month for 100 more minutes while free after 6 pm. instead of 9 pm).

Any point of views?

I suppose I need to call Rogers and see what my penalty fee would be..
.................................................. .................................................. ..................................www.DNCH.com

.................................................. .................................................. .......................www.daniel.poirier.com

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jun 28, 2010, 03:56 PM

5 MB? Really? I can use 5 MB in about 5 minutes. I've never used more than 1 GB even with tethering though, but then again, I don't usually tether more than a few days a month.

P.S. That Rogers plan you listed isn't great, even for Rogers. You might want to try to haggle with Rogers retentions.

FireWire
Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2010, 04:11 PM

Yeah, if you want to pay a decent price, you need to speak with the retention department. When my contract ended two years ago, I threatened to leave for a competitor and managed to get a 62$ + tx deal that includes:

- unlimited eve. and w-e after 6 pm
- 250 anytime minutes
- 6 GB of data
- visual voicemail, caller ID and 2500 text messages

and 50$ off the phone itself, in the form of a credit for my first month. It really pays off. Keep in mind that it costs more for them to lose a customer than to gain a new one, so they will try hard to keep you from leaving the ship!

State that you found a better deal elsewhere, (talk with Bell or Telus, or make up one if you want), and ask them to match it.

As your contract is still not over, you may try to argue that you will transfer your existing plan to a friend (or simply cancel it) and go elsewhere anyway and won't come back, because you're not satisfied.

Forum Links
Forum Rules