Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Need help with 'sudo'

Need help with 'sudo'
dzp111
Senior User
Sep 12, 2010, 11:08 AM

I have an external (cellular) modem that I occasionally need to use. But after upgrading to 10.6 the modem has been rendered useless. The manufacturer has not yet decided to update the device in question.

I did however stumble on a work-around to fix the problem but it entails the use of the Terminal. Thing is I'm not experienced with it.

I do have a solid backup (clone) and am willing to do this. What I need are step by step instructions as to how to proceed.

According to the author I need to do the following:

"Disconnect the u727 and open terminal and run these three commands then reboot — always be careful with sudo and especially rm -rf, they can destroy your data if you aren’t careful."

sudo mount -uw /
sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/NovatelWireless3G.kext/
sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/NovatelWirelessFilter.kext/[/I]

One of my questions is, do I enter these commands one at a time?

Can anyone help?
.................................................. .................................................. ..................................www.DNCH.com

.................................................. .................................................. .......................www.daniel.poirier.com

Cold Warrior
Sep 12, 2010, 11:33 AM

yes, one at a time, followed by pressing return.

dzp111  (op)
Senior User
Sep 12, 2010, 11:36 AM

Thanks.

Is there anything in these commands that I should be concerned about, in your opinion?
.................................................. .................................................. ..................................www.DNCH.com

.................................................. .................................................. .......................www.daniel.poirier.com

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Sep 12, 2010, 01:19 PM

The first step looks like it is only necessary when booted into single user mode, as / should already be mounted while booted into OS X. All three steps are harmless though, unless you think you should hang onto the NovatelWireless files in which case you might want to move them out of the kernel extensions folder rather than just deleting them. I'm assuming the "[/I]" at the end of the last command was not in the original...

dzp111  (op)
Senior User
Sep 12, 2010, 01:45 PM

Much appreciated guys. Problem has been solved.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Sep 12, 2010, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
The first step looks like it is only necessary when booted into single user mode, as / should already be mounted while booted into OS X. All three steps are harmless though, unless you think you should hang onto the NovatelWireless files in which case you might want to move them out of the kernel extensions folder rather than just deleting them. I'm assuming the "[/I]" at the end of the last command was not in the original...

Actually, in single user mode you wouldn't need to sudo to mount / rw. Don't know what that step is in there...

Glad you got stuff working though.

reader50
Administrator
Sep 12, 2010, 02:31 PM

Assuming you have an admin account, you don't need sudo or Terminal at all. Just use the Finder to move both kext files out of the Extensions folder. Authenticate to make it happen. Then reboot.

Forum Links
Forum Rules