Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Mail.app Sucks as IMAP

Mail.app Sucks as IMAP
l008com
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 2, 2004, 07:06 PM

Has anyone else noticed this? I host my own mail and i switched from POP to IMAP when I got my iBook so that I could check my mail from anywhere, and not have to worry about some emails only being on certain computers etc. So it all seemed to be going fine, until I started doing stuff with it. To move an email from one IMAP account to another takes a LONG time. Try to do more than one at once, and it gives you an error. Do a whole bunch of emails one at a time, and slowly they will all go, but their Date received changes from the real date, to the exact date/time you move it. Thats very annoying. So many of my mailboxes are so out of order now.
( Last edited by l008com; Jan 2, 2004 at 09:09 PM. )

ckohler
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 2, 2004, 08:20 PM

I've always had a single IMAP mailbox and it's always worked perfectly in Mail. Sounds like trouble starts when you have more than one.

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 2, 2004, 08:28 PM

I have 17. I also have a problem with mail filters. Filters that specifically "move" mail from one account to another (rules or whatever they are called) still copy instead. I had to change the rule so it first copies, then deletes the original, and I'm still waiting to see if it works.

AND another thing, I still get those instances where you quit Mail and it won't quit, and the quit option is grayed out so you can't choose it again. Every upgrade to OS X claims better mail.app, and the problem has certainly lessened each time, but I still get it once in a while even on 10.3.

maxintosh
Mac Elite
Jan 2, 2004, 08:31 PM

I was wondering if it was just my IMAP account at school. Mail very often mysteriously "re-appears" after deleting it! It's the most annoying thing in the world. And if a filter moves the message, then a copy of the message will pop up and sit in my main inbox folder. Argh!

larkost
Mac Elite
Jan 3, 2004, 12:34 AM

I run my own Courier-MTA server, and have had great results with Mail.app and IMAP. Rules work fine, moving single messages (even que'ed) is fast (well... when I am not on a bad dial-up).

The only issues I have had are a slight bug in how folders are laid out (this is a know issue for Courier), and mail.app does not like to move threads as a single piece.

Toyin
Mac Elite
Jan 4, 2004, 04:02 PM

Originally posted by l008com:
I have 17. I also have a problem with mail filters. Filters that specifically "move" mail from one account to another (rules or whatever they are called) still copy instead. I had to change the rule so it first copies, then deletes the original, and I'm still waiting to see if it works.

AND another thing, I still get those instances where you quit Mail and it won't quit, and the quit option is grayed out so you can't choose it again. Every upgrade to OS X claims better mail.app, and the problem has certainly lessened each time, but I still get it once in a while even on 10.3.
17 IMAP accounts? Apple's free apps aren't for advanced users (ie iMovie, iPhoto). You are obviously a 'power' email user. Sounds like you're going to need a commercial solution to manage your email (or maybe an X11 app)

Good luck.
-Toyin
13" MBA 1.8ghz i7
"It's all about the rims that ya got, and the rims that ya coulda had"
S.T. 1995

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 4, 2004, 04:14 PM

Originally posted by maxintosh:
I was wondering if it was just my IMAP account at school. Mail very often mysteriously "re-appears" after deleting it! It's the most annoying thing in the world. And if a filter moves the message, then a copy of the message will pop up and sit in my main inbox folder. Argh!
Sounds like Mail isn't getting a chance to update your remote mailboxes. Are you on a slow connection? Try looking at the progress window to make sure Mail finishes all its processes before you quit or disconnect.

Mail works fine for my (single) IMAP account.

CatOne
Mac Elite
Jan 4, 2004, 08:26 PM

Originally posted by l008com:
Has anyone else noticed this? I host my own mail and i switched from POP to IMAP when I got my iBook so that I could check my mail from anywhere, and not have to worry about some emails only being on certain computers etc. So it all seemed to be going fine, until I started doing stuff with it. To move an email from one IMAP account to another takes a LONG time. Try to do more than one at once, and it gives you an error. Do a whole bunch of emails one at a time, and slowly they will all go, but their Date received changes from the real date, to the exact date/time you move it. Thats very annoying. So many of my mailboxes are so out of order now.
I regularly back up my IMAP based emails (on internal mail server and .Mac accounts), to an IMAP server (running on OS X Server 10.3). About 100 megs on the corporate email server, and about 20 megs on .Mac.

I just drag copy all the folders, and let it go. Takes about 5-10 minutes, and everything copies perfectly.

So it's not Mail.app. You have a crappy network connection somewhere.

A certain copy who writes mail.app encourages its users to use IMAP (and mail.app). I think it's tested a bit, and it works fine

CatOne
Mac Elite
Jan 4, 2004, 08:28 PM

Originally posted by ckohler:
I've always had a single IMAP mailbox and it's always worked perfectly in Mail. Sounds like trouble starts when you have more than one.
Definitely not. I have > 100 IMAP mailboxes, and it works fine. As I said above I can also drag copy 100 IMAP mailboxes at a time from one mail server to another (for backup purposes). Works great, if you have a fast network (in my case 100 Mbps ethernet -- intranet).

Forum Links
Forum Rules