Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > this cant be normal...can it? (macbook pro lid movement)

this cant be normal...can it? (macbook pro lid movement)
jaybert
Jul 3, 2007, 05:03 PM

http://www.eggroll.org/DSCF0355.AVI

Can someone look at that and tell me if it is normal? This is a brand new macbook I just got in today...when the lid is closed, there is a good amount of movement if i give any sort of pressure on the left side of the macbook. It also has a squeaking noise that is not captured in the video. I also went ahead and showed the right side, where if i push down, there is no real movement.

I am planning on bringing it to the apple store for replacement..but wanted to see if this was out of the norm...before I brought it in to be replaced

Scott F
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 3, 2007, 06:17 PM

What model is that? My friends 17 inch MacBook Pro does not experience this problem, but it is an older version.
( Last edited by Scott F; Jul 3, 2007 at 06:38 PM. )

jaybert  (op)
Jul 3, 2007, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by Scott F View Post
What model is that? The 17 inch (I believe) does not have that, but it is an older version.
thats a 15.4", latest 2.2ghz LED version

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 3, 2007, 06:38 PM

There is a certain amount of play in your lid that I would not call "normal" but may be close to "typical." Since the video wasn't very well focused, it's hard to quantify that gap, but it looks like it's around 3mm or so. Have the Apple Store folks look at it and tell you what they think. If it's due to the lid being warped, or something wrong with the hinges, then you really have a problem.

A number of people have noted that there is not a consistent amount of space between the base and lid on their MBPs; some have apparently wanted absolute perfection, while others simply wanted consistency. Sometimes you have to compromise with the fit and finish of a manufactured device, but if that amount of space is a problem, Apple needs to address it for you.

On the other hand, there are a number of simple ways to keep the lid from getting to be a problem if that space isn't something Apple will fix. There are rather pricey products that are nothing more than little foam dots you put on the lid to keep the spacing even-or you can get the value pack of "bumpers" suitable for putting on the bottom of anything you don't want to mar a surface of (like chair glides, but for lamps and picture frames) for a couple of bucks.

Anyway, have the Apple Store look at it-a new MBP should be thrilling, not frustrating.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

jaybert  (op)
Jul 3, 2007, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
There is a certain amount of play in your lid that I would not call "normal" but may be close to "typical." Since the video wasn't very well focused, it's hard to quantify that gap, but it looks like it's around 3mm or so. Have the Apple Store folks look at it and tell you what they think. If it's due to the lid being warped, or something wrong with the hinges, then you really have a problem.

A number of people have noted that there is not a consistent amount of space between the base and lid on their MBPs; some have apparently wanted absolute perfection, while others simply wanted consistency. Sometimes you have to compromise with the fit and finish of a manufactured device, but if that amount of space is a problem, Apple needs to address it for you.

On the other hand, there are a number of simple ways to keep the lid from getting to be a problem if that space isn't something Apple will fix. There are rather pricey products that are nothing more than little foam dots you put on the lid to keep the spacing even-or you can get the value pack of "bumpers" suitable for putting on the bottom of anything you don't want to mar a surface of (like chair glides, but for lamps and picture frames) for a couple of bucks.

Anyway, have the Apple Store look at it-a new MBP should be thrilling, not frustrating.
thanks for the response. i have a appointment with an mac genius in about an hr..just wanted some info before I went in there. I am definitely not looking for perfection..i understand there might be a little gap, but the amount Im seeing here seems pretty unreasonable. The fact that it makes a squeaking noise everything it is depressed on the left side is also troubling.

I actually ended up ordering a set of the wildpeepz dot things from radtech. $15/shipped..yuck. But I figure even if apple replaces/fixes this, it would be nice to have on there. I had them on my powerbook and they seemed to do their job quite nicely.

I will update this thread when I come back, whether it be them telling me I am SOL, sending it off to apple for repair, or replacing it with a new one.

EDIT: some pictures!
right side:

left side:

alainmeyer1
Jul 3, 2007, 08:11 PM

I have EXACTLY that problem but mine is worse.

Tell me what the genius says please.

jaybert  (op)
Jul 3, 2007, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by alainmeyer1 View Post
I have EXACTLY that problem but mine is worse.

Tell me what the genius says please.
they wouldnt exhcange it, since i didnt purchase in store, but was willing to ship it off to the depot repair place to get fixed. said it would take 7-10 business days. Im moving in about 2 weeks, so I couldnt risk it taking 10 days as I would have left my current location already.

I will use it for a few days..and if it still bothers me, I'm going to have them send it off and just have it delivered to my new place.

EDIT: oh yeah, the guy kept insisting it was within specs....which questions why he was willing to send it off. maybe it was just to get rid of me...haha

alainmeyer1
Jul 3, 2007, 09:10 PM

I assume it's normal... I wouldn't send it off...

My old Powerbook at this also.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 3, 2007, 09:20 PM

I haven't had an Apple laptop that didn't have some play in the lid.

Just leave it be, it's perfectly fine and will continue to be in 4 years time.

Golden Halo
Jul 3, 2007, 09:32 PM

Mine too. exact same model. it irritates me a bit but I have a mentality that you cant have anything perfect anymore. If its not your lid messed up.... say you got it replaced, then you could be having hard drive problems. I dont know, maybe im stupid for thinking this way but im just going to try to not let it bother me. I do however believe a $2,000 computer should be FLAWLESS!!
15.4" Macbook Pro 2.2 Core 2 Duo, 4GB Ram, 500GB HD @ 7,200rpm. 20" iMac Intel Core Duo, 2GB RAM, 256 VRAM, 250 GB HD. Pro apps: Final Cut Studio, and Logic Pro 8.

alainmeyer1
Jul 3, 2007, 09:45 PM

And even if you do replace it, odds are the lid will still be messed.

jaybert  (op)
Jul 3, 2007, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by Golden Halo View Post
Mine too. exact same model. it irritates me a bit but I have a mentality that you cant have anything perfect anymore. If its not your lid messed up.... say you got it replaced, then you could be having hard drive problems. I dont know, maybe im stupid for thinking this way but im just going to try to not let it bother me. I do however believe a $2,000 computer should be FLAWLESS!!
in the grand scheme of things, you're right...lid issues arent that big of deal. Id prefer that to have dead pixels on my LCD or whatever. Oh well, I ordered the wildpeepz clear things from radtech and will put them on when they arrive. It looks like if the right hand side isnt allowed to depress as much when closed, the left side will actually sit more flush. Kind of stupid to pay $15.xx shipped for little rubber stickers, but whatever

Dark_Lotus
Forum Regular
Jul 4, 2007, 01:28 AM

I think its fine. Mine does the same thing.

jaybert  (op)
Jul 10, 2007, 02:32 PM

fwiw, i picked up the wildeepz cushion things from radtech.us and it fixed the problem. no movement at all on the lid, on either sides, when it is closed. def not worth $15 though...looks like they just took a hole puncher and punched out some round pieces of rubber with sticky stuff on one side. whaever though..it works, problem solved.

Kfunk
Jul 10, 2007, 03:07 PM

Same thing happened to my 15" 1.33ghz. I assumed it was from opening the lid from that side (instead of the middle).

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 10, 2007, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by jaybert View Post
fwiw, i picked up the wildeepz cushion things from radtech.us and it fixed the problem. no movement at all on the lid, on either sides, when it is closed. def not worth $15 though...looks like they just took a hole puncher and punched out some round pieces of rubber with sticky stuff on one side. whaever though..it works, problem solved.
See my post above: the little foam bumpers you can get at Wal-Mart cost less than $4 and include way more pieces than you need for a bunch of MBPs.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules