Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Backup.app - Where'd it go?

Backup.app - Where'd it go?
Ted L. Nancy
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 3, 2008, 11:22 AM

I never liked this app. It is unstable, unreliable. To be fair, its problems were probably the result of it being ahead of its time. (Apple released offsite backup software before it released Time Machine for local backups. )

Nonetheless, I used this app because it was the simplest way for .Mac users to copy files to their .Mac account. I kept hoping the software would be updated so to be more reliable.

Now it appears the entire project has been abandoned. (Or perhaps I missed it and this post is out-of-line.) You can't download it at MobileMe, even though some Apple support articles mention that the two work together under Leopard (example).

What's the deal?

I'd really like to continue to do offsite backups, and since I'm paying for a MobileMe account, I might as well use the storage. Does Apple now expect me to do this manually?

EDIT: And, yes, I realize I can still download the app at that download page I linked to, but that was kinda hard to find. My point is that Apple doesn't seem to be pushing, updating, or supporting the software any longer.
10.7.1 on Mac Pro 8x2.8

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Dec 3, 2008, 11:36 AM

I think Time Machine replaced it.

I understand with backup.app you backup data to .mac and TM uses an attached hard drive, but given the speed of .mac, and the volume of data, it was never a viable option to backup anything but small documents. Whereas TM can and does back everything up
~Mike

Ted L. Nancy  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 3, 2008, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by Maflynn View Post
it was never a viable option to backup anything but small documents. Whereas TM can and does back everything up
I suspect this is Apple's philosophy too, but for me, I NEED to backup nothing but small documents (pages/numbers/pdfs) offsite. The reason? Law office. If a fire/theft/hurricane/whatever occurred, I simply can't afford to lose my forms folder, various emails, etc. My business would be "stranded" for over a month--a LONG time in this industry.

I realize I can get a hard drive built into a fire resistant casing, but this is not good enough for me.

I know so many other sole-practitioners that pay anywhere between $100 and $500 /mo. for offsite backup. Ridiculous.

I guess I'm just upset that it seems the concept of offsite backup storage is becoming less of a priority at Apple. It was one of the main reasons I originally purchased my .Mac account forever ago. If the app is still available and supported, they should link to its download within your MobileMe account.
10.7.1 on Mac Pro 8x2.8

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 3, 2008, 01:49 PM

Apple Backup is on your iDisk.

Originally Posted by Ted L. Nancy View Post
Apple released offsite backup software before it released Time Machine for local backups.
Apple Backup supports local backups.

Ted L. Nancy  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 9, 2008, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by TETENAL View Post
Apple Backup is on your iDisk.

Apple Backup supports local backups.
Yeah, I know. My point was that it is somewhat backwards thinking to say "Time Machine 'replaces' backup" when Backup, from a standpoint of technology and customizability, had/has more to offer.
10.7.1 on Mac Pro 8x2.8

B Gallagher
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 14, 2008, 06:20 PM

Interesting comments. Can you give any examples of how Backup.app has been unstable or unreliable for you? I've been using it for a few months now and have never had any problems. Just wish I could disable the notification which comes up telling me it's going to start a backup.

You realise that Backup.app is still given for all MobileMe users at iDisk > Home > Software ? I would hardly think that the software isn't being supported anymore, but I agree that it doesn't seem to be a top priority anymore (given that the last update was almost 14 months ago).

I disagree that Time Machine has replaced Backup - Time Machine seems to be used mostly for on-site backups, for those that have an external hard drive sitting next to their computer. Apple got my money for the year for MobileMe because of Backup.app allowing off-site backups to MobileMe (albeit only up to a very small 20GB).
MBP 15" C2D 2.2GHz 4.0GB 500GB@5400
iPhone 4 32GB Black

Ted L. Nancy  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 15, 2008, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by B Gallagher View Post
Interesting comments. Can you give any examples of how Backup.app has been unstable or unreliable for you? I've been using it for a few months now and have never had any problems. Just wish I could disable the notification which comes up telling me it's going to start a backup.
Here's one example.. I've tried to restore a backup after a real-life crash and it did not work. Called Apple. Their response: "Yeah, it seems Backup didn't properly work. It's a convenient app, but it's not that reliable."

You realise that Backup.app is still given for all MobileMe users at iDisk > Home > Software ? I would hardly think that the software isn't being supported anymore, but I agree that it doesn't seem to be a top priority anymore (given that the last update was almost 14 months ago).
Yup. I found it there. It's also available via the .mac/mobileme support pages... now available for all to download! Remember, though, when that stern umbrella was lurking conspicuously all over your .Mac pages? To me, no updates + lack up promotion + inability to download from MobileMe site = App about to either a) die or b) receive hefty upgrade.

I disagree that Time Machine has replaced Backup - Time Machine seems to be used mostly for on-site backups, for those that have an external hard drive sitting next to their computer. Apple got my money for the year for MobileMe because of Backup.app allowing off-site backups to MobileMe (albeit only up to a very small 20GB).
Yeah, it's definitely not a replacement. Time Machine is its own separate feature bundled with Leopard.
10.7.1 on Mac Pro 8x2.8

Forum Links
Forum Rules