Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > iTunes 10... slower?

iTunes 10... slower?
Ted L. Nancy
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 19, 2010, 10:51 AM

With so many others talking about how "snappier" iTunes 10 is, I'm beginning to wonder if something went wrong with my download/install. Generally speaking, I don't experience any performance issues, except occasionally certain tasks (the most recent would be syncing my iPhone) will give me a spinning rainbow for anywhere between 10 and 45 seconds. Very annoying.
10.7.1 on Mac Pro 8x2.8

mduell
Posting Junkie
Sep 19, 2010, 01:03 PM

Thanks for reaffirming my decision not to upgrade. The initial reviews were pretty grim and Ping is [censored] stupid.

Cold Warrior
Sep 19, 2010, 01:18 PM

v10 has been great for me. I don't use the latest features, just browsing the media (rarely purchase) and apps (routinely purchase). v10 is much more responsive.

If you're having issues with any sort of OS X application, the initial, easiest troubleshooting steps are

1. reinstall the app
2. delete its cache(s)
3. delete its plist(s)

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 19, 2010, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
Thanks for reaffirming my decision not to upgrade. The initial reviews were pretty grim and Ping is [censored] stupid.
Really?

I find it better in a good many ways, and worse only in these:

1. vertical window controls - fixed via plist entry in Terminal
2. No way to hide Ping at left.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Sep 27, 2010, 09:59 AM

This is the first time I've just simply refused to "upgrade" an Apple app. Much thanks to Ping and well... iTunes is just a bloated mess. Microsoft would be proud of such an app!

There is nothing 'Apple' about iTunes. Thus my lack of interest.

(by the way: who here likes Ping and uses it?)
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 27, 2010, 10:08 AM

Funny Thing is that it feels much LESS bloated due its speed - almost nimble, in fact…

OreoCookie
Sep 27, 2010, 10:33 AM

You can deactivate Ping completely and thus I don't find it to be an issue. The service is pretty useless right now anyway. But I find iTunes 10 a lot faster than iTunes 9, especially the 1-2 seconds are gone that I had to wait until iTunes 9 finally skipped a song.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Sep 27, 2010, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
You can deactivate Ping completely and thus I don't find it to be an issue. The service is pretty useless right now anyway. But I find iTunes 10 a lot faster than iTunes 9, especially the 1-2 seconds are gone that I had to wait until iTunes 9 finally skipped a song.
You can disable Ping, yes - but most people can't. When I say iTunes is bloated, I don't mean it's slower (necessarily) but rather it is feature bloated. It's like a goddam swiss-army knife. Besides UI gripes (which 'can' also be fixed) and the fact that every version of iTunes just adds some random 'features' instead of making the app cleaner, fixing bugs etc.

I've lost interest.
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

cgc
Professional Poster
Sep 27, 2010, 06:15 PM

Yup...unfortunately there's not much out there that can replace iTunes. SongBird is average at best and I don't think there are any plans to port MediaMonkey to OSX. Oh well...on the positive side iTunes 10 is much faster (e.g. try scrolling through a large library or flipping through covers).
"Like a midget at a urinal, I was going to have to stay on my toes." Frank Drebin, Naked Gun 33 1/3: The Final Insult

OreoCookie
Sep 27, 2010, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by voodoo View Post
You can disable Ping, yes - but most people can't. When I say iTunes is bloated, I don't mean it's slower (necessarily) but rather it is feature bloated. It's like a goddam swiss-army knife.
I also don't like the fact that you use iTunes to do everything with. But on the other hand, there is no replacement for it in sight and the speed-ups are very welcome.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

ChocolateGal
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 28, 2010, 02:45 AM

I was very disappointed with iTunes 10. It mixed my playlists up, and not to mention the order I had my music in under the "Music" tab. Stupid traffic lights too.

However, there is hope! Probably after a week after I downloaded it, a new version has come out (I've just been onto iTunes). Hurrah!

I think Steve-monger has seen the error in his ways for iTunes 10, or at least his minions have, and they changed it. Haven't downloaded it yet, but I will soon!

gooser
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 28, 2010, 05:32 AM

i have four macs i regularly use and all four run itunes 6. works for me, i doubt it would work for many others.
imac g3 600
imac g4 800 superdrive
ibook 466

Forum Links
Forum Rules