Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > PSP2 vs. 3DS vs. Mobile Devices

View Poll Results: Do you plan on buying any of these?
Poll Options:
Nintendo 3DS 1 votes (8.33%)
Sony PSP2 2 votes (16.67%)
Both. I'm a gaming addict. 0 votes (0%)
Neither. I'm not interested in mobile gaming. 1 votes (8.33%)
Neither. I'm satisfied with my iPhone/Android phone. 6 votes (50.00%)
Too early to tell. 2 votes (16.67%)
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll
PSP2 vs. 3DS vs. Mobile Devices (Page 2)
Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 31, 2011, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
No, actually I'm quite aware of it. The PSP2 doesn't quite change the form factor and shift mentalities quite the way the iPad did, but the powerful hardware, back-facing touchscreen, 3G (already mentioned my skepticism), online store, trophies, 5" OLED screen, and two analog sticks are definitely presenting something different. If the device (and its price) resonate with just 50% of gamers, it could still be considered a success.
Something different? Half that shit is already available on my iPhone 4. (3G, touchscreen, App Store, Gamecenter.) The only real advantage the NPG has over mobile devices are analog sticks and powerful hardware. Let's face it, the powerful hardware advantage is only temporary. I'm sure there will be some Android phones matching NPG's hardware within 2 years.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jan 31, 2011, 03:58 PM

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jan 31, 2011, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
That's what makes it so scary. Arguably the 3DS has a killer feature (3D, duh) and the PSP2 really doesn't (Aside from the powah), so I don't see how you can get away with more than a $50 difference before you start pricing yourself out of the conversation. I mean, Nintendo just set the bar. That's what the market now considers appropriate.
I'm guessing, based on impressions from Engadget/Kotaku/IGN, that the 3D is going to wind up being turned off 90% of the time. The bad viewing angle, battery life, and eye strain all sounds bad. Regardless, Nintendo has become synonymous with handheld, so it'll sell boatloads.

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
Something different? Half that **** is already available on my iPhone 4. (3G, touchscreen, App Store, Gamecenter.) The only real advantage the NPG has over mobile devices are analog sticks and powerful hardware. Let's face it, the powerful hardware advantage is only temporary. I'm sure there will be some Android phones matching NPG's hardware within 2 years.
3G, yes.
App Store, yes.
Front-facing touchscreen, yes. Add in the fact that it's a 5" OLED, and it trumps the iPhone.

Back-facing touchscreen, no.
Actual buttons and analog sticks, no (which is why iPhone gaming will always be limited).
Game Center/Trophies? No comparison, especially if the trophies apply to your PSN ID's existing collection. Who actually keeps up with Game Center achievements?

If anything, the PSP2 might be adding too many hardware features for its own good, driving up the price. I'm especially concerned that the 3G might be subsidized, similar to the Kindle, which would drive the cost per unit up significantly for Sony.

The PSP2 (or NGP or whatever the crap they want to call it) is a handheld gaming dream come true, but if enough people feel the way many of you in this thread do, then the thing is going to flop. If people truly want a handheld system to be an underpowered version of its console brethren with a completely different play experience across the board, then the 3DS will never be slightly threatened by the PSP2.

Yet another side note: Sony is once again getting to market later than the direct competition. We know how well that went over with the PS3/360.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 31, 2011, 04:59 PM

I'm guessing, based on impressions from Engadget/Kotaku/IGN, that the 3D is going to wind up being turned off 90% of the time. The bad viewing angle, battery life, and eye strain all sounds bad. Regardless, Nintendo has become synonymous with handheld, so it'll sell boatloads.
Way to try and beat me to punch. So you're predicting it'll be like the Wii and motion control. Bought but not ultimately used in the long run?

If anything, the PSP2 might be adding too many hardware features for its own good, driving up the price.
It only does everything – on the go ?

Seriously, I just don't see the killer features. I see a bunch of features you may or may not like. Just like the PS3.

The PSP2 (or NGP or whatever the crap they want to call it) is a handheld gaming dream come true, but if enough people feel the way many of you in this thread do, then the thing is going to flop. If people truly want a handheld system to be an underpowered version of its console brethren with a completely different play experience across the board, then the 3DS will never be slightly threatened by the PSP2.
Well as far as actual gaming goes, my opinion is all but moot. I had an advance and I got sick of using it thanks to trying to find a decent third-party rechargeable solution + the lack of a backlight. Then they introduced the ugly but functional SP and I was out on portable gaming.

I have an iPod Touch, but that thing burns through its juice so fast, and I honestly don't care for doing casual gaming on that tiny ass screen. I'm really looking forward to the iPad 2.

Yet another side note: Sony is once again getting to market later than the direct competition. We know how well that went over with the PS3/360.
This wouldn't be critical if it weren't likely that the price won't be competitive. If the PSP2 beat the 3DS to market they could at least justify the price as "What else you got?"

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jan 31, 2011, 05:35 PM

Way to try and beat me to punch. So you're predicting it'll be like the Wii and motion control. Bought but not ultimately used in the long run?
Without a doubt. The strain/headaches that are being reported might cause some stink for Nintendo.

It only does everything – on the go ?
An emoticon, just for you:

Seriously, I just don't see the killer features. I see a bunch of features you may or may not like. Just like the PS3.
I don't think I can debunk that criticism. It's bigger, more powerful, more thumbsticks, more touch, more everything, but not necessarily anything everyone has to have. I understand that.

As was already mentioned, it's going to come down to the one thing that makes or breaks every system: software.

Well as far as actual gaming goes, my opinion is all but moot. I had an advance and I got sick of using it thanks to trying to find a decent third-party rechargeable solution + the lack of a backlight. Then they introduced the ugly but functional SP and I was out on portable gaming.

I have an iPod Touch, but that thing burns through its juice so fast, and I honestly don't care for doing casual gaming on that tiny****screen. I'm really looking forward to the iPad 2.
Same problem as the iPhone: no physical buttons makes for a crappy play experience for many times of games.

There are plenty of game genres that work well for it, but sports/racing games are all but hopeless. I hate playing them on the iPad, even though Reckless Racing HD isn't too shabby. Games like SimCity Deluxe aren't bad, and Civilization would be perfect for it, but the iPad is still a browsing/emailing/reading device first for me, and gaming is a distance afterthought. Basically, it's an Angry Birds machine.

This wouldn't be critical if it weren't likely that the price won't be competitive. If the PSP2 beat the 3DS to market they could at least justify the price as "What else you got?"
Yup. And with a decent launch line-up waiting, the 3DS will be bringing out their holiday big guns while the PSP2 is going to rely on one or two of those massive titles they announced. I seriously doubt more than a few will be ready by launch.

I want it to do well, because I know the games will come, just as they did for PSP and PS3, but if the 3DS steals all of the attention nearly a year before PSP2's release, there might not be much interest left for it.

Then again, maybe millions of 6-to-10-year-olds around the country will be cross-eyed thanks to the 3DS' terrible 3D, and the PSP2 will swoop in to save the day.

In case it's not obvious, my feelings on the PSP2 are all over the place so far. I'm likely going to have to wait 'til I get my hands on one to make any serious judgments.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 31, 2011, 05:47 PM

An emoticon, just for you:
Acknowledge my greatness!

As was already mentioned, it's going to come down to the one thing that makes or breaks every system: software.
I don't keep up much on things, but fro the comments I've read the PSP has been a ghost town the past few years. Possibly thanks to piracy.

I want it to do well, because I know the games will come, just as they did for PSP and PS3, but if the 3DS steals all of the attention nearly a year before PSP2's release, there might not be much interest left for it.
Meh, I could give a damn in the long run. Whoever wins will have no discernible affect on my life.

In case it's not obvious, my feelings on the PSP2 are all over the place so far.
Just like everything else.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 31, 2011, 06:04 PM

3G, yes.
App Store, yes.
Front-facing touchscreen, yes. Add in the fact that it's a 5" OLED, and it trumps the iPhone.

Back-facing touchscreen, no.
The Retina Display on my iPhone 4 looks amazing. I don't see what OLED could add besides slightly better battery life? Besides, who's to say Apple won't have OLED display in the next iPhone before the NGP is released?

Is the back-facing touchscreen really that big a deal? I don't see many games taking advantage of this.

Actual buttons and analog sticks, no (which is why iPhone gaming will always be limited).
As I said before, this is the one clear advantage the NGP has over mobile phones. I wish there was some way Apple could incorporate analog sticks and buttons with the next iPhone. I think they could dominate the mobile gaming space if that happens.

Game Center/Trophies? No comparison, especially if the trophies apply to your PSN ID's existing collection. Who actually keeps up with Game Center achievements?
I do. Quick, give me your GameCenter ID so we can compare Angry Bird stats.

(Hey how funny would it be if Apple included party chat in GameCenter before Sony does with PSN.)

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Feb 1, 2011, 12:22 PM

I don't keep up much on things, but fro the comments I've read the PSP has been a ghost town the past few years. Possibly thanks to piracy.
Definitely thanks to piracy. It's apparently why devs started avoiding it like the plague after two years or so.

Meh, I could give a **** in the long run. Whoever wins will have no discernible affect on my life.
But as someone who is considering buying either a 3DS or PSP2 in the future, it could for me.

Just like everything else.
All impressions I've read so far say, "This is great, that is cool, and this is exciting...BUT..."

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
The Retina Display on my iPhone 4 looks amazing. I don't see what OLED could add besides slightly better battery life? Besides, who's to say Apple won't have OLED display in the next iPhone before the NGP is released?
I'm on board for an OLED Retina Display for an iPhone. The OLED phones I've seen so far (namely the HTC Incredible) looked pretty sweet.

And battery life is always a major concern with portable devices. Period.

Is the back-facing touchscreen really that big a deal? I don't see many games taking advantage of this.
I certainly hope it's not, but I could be proven wrong. As it stands right now, I hope that it's pretty much ignored except for secondary buttons (à la the RB/LB on 360) on shooters.

As I said before, this is the one clear advantage the NGP has over mobile phones. I wish there was some way Apple could incorporate analog sticks and buttons with the next iPhone. I think they could dominate the mobile gaming space if that happens.
Apple will never add physical buttons to the iPhone/iPad. Not a chance.

I do. Quick, give me your GameCenter ID so we can compare Angry Bird stats.
Gladly. Jawbone54.

I'm guessing I'm going to have some catch-up work to do against you. I mostly played Angry Birds before Game Center came around.

(Hey how funny would it be if Apple included party chat in GameCenter before Sony does with PSN.)
You're wrong for that.

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Feb 15, 2011, 01:06 PM

Apparently, the NGP was stripped of features that would have made it even more expensive...

"There were elements that we found pretty cool, but had to set aside to remain on target," Sony Computer Entertainment worldwide studios boss Shuhei Yoshida told Edge. "It's a big lesson we learnt from the PS3. There's no point putting everything you want into a device and doing the math later."
Really? You guys really learned that? So does that explain the rear-facing touchscreen?

For the NGP, Yoshida said that Sony always had the price and the player in mind. "We had to sell something that people could buy," said Yoshida, adding that Sony "can't sell the NGP for the same price as a PSP".

If Sony is going to want to compete with the 3DS — which no matter what Sony says, the company is doing — then it'll need to price the NGP between US$250 and $300. The closer to $250, the better. If it's above $300, forget it.
At least they've been thinking about price from day one. The $300 mark sounds more attainable than it did at the announcement, but I'm still not convinced they'll hit it.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 16, 2011, 12:09 PM

Apparently, the NGP was stripped of features that would have made it even more expensive...

Really? You guys really learned that? So does that explain the rear-facing touchscreen?

At least they've been thinking about price from day one. The $300 mark sounds more attainable than it did at the announcement, but I'm still not convinced they'll hit it.
I had the opposite reaction.

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Feb 16, 2011, 12:35 PM

You're the cynic, and I'm the blind optimist. Surprise, surprise.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 16, 2011, 12:44 PM

You're not an optimist, you're an apologist. You'll have a lot more trouble buying the system for yourself if you believe it's as horrifically over-priced as it's going to be.

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Feb 16, 2011, 01:00 PM

You're not an optimist, you're an apologist.

You'll have a lot more trouble buying the system for yourself if you believe it's as horrifically over-priced as it's going to be.
I'd only be an apologist if I defend Sony's possible decision to price it over $300.

I'm optimistic in hoping there is someone at Sony listening to the editorials and keeping an eye on the boards enough to know that they will have a disaster on their hands if this thing isn't priced sensibly.

After thinking about it for a while now, I'll say this (and I'll stick to it): if the system is over $300, I won't buy it. If it's $250, I'll still have to wait for a while and consider it. I will not be buying one at launch.

Honestly, after reading some impressions, I'm looking a little bit more at the 3DS. I did enjoy my DS Lite. I just need to see some FIFA on it.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 16, 2011, 01:03 PM

Apologist wasn't exactly what I was looking for. You're looking to rationalize this stuff. Optimist means you see the good. I'm saying you're explicitly searching for it because it would benefit you to do so. I don't know how you'd categorize that.

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Feb 16, 2011, 01:05 PM

Apologist wasn't exactly what I was looking for. You're looking to rationalize this stuff. Optimist means you see the good. I'm saying you're explicitly searching for it because it would benefit you to do so. I don't know how you'd categorize that.
I'll accept that. I'm a Sony fan, and I'm hoping for good things.

However, if they blow it with the NGP, I'll readily admit it. I won't send money their way that I feel they don't deserve.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Feb 27, 2011, 07:19 AM

I had a go of a 3DS yesterday. I wasn't convinced before I saw it about the 3D effect, but it does work well. It was a demo machine in a Gamestation store, with a few games/demos installed. There's one that uses cards as a QR code type deal to generate a pop out box and shooting targets coming out of the desk or whatever you put the card on, I was shooting things, looking down the 3D hole in the desk and hitting the dragon monster thing that pops out of it. Good fun. No idea what actual games are coming out for it though.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Forum Links
Forum Rules