Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > David Petraeus: Ass Bandit

David Petraeus: Ass Bandit
subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 9, 2012, 04:13 PM

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/11/09/us-usa-petraeus-idUSBRE8A81FP20121109

Rule 8:

reader50
Administrator
Nov 9, 2012, 04:51 PM

To properly judge this story, we need a picture and/or name for the other side of the affair.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 9, 2012, 05:07 PM

We improperly started commenting on this in the Batshit thread.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 9, 2012, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
To properly judge this story, we need a picture and/or name for the other side of the affair.
Paula Broadwell, author of All In.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 10, 2012, 05:13 AM

Why is he resigning? Adultery is bad, but you know, just stop doing it and go back to work. FFS.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Dork.
Professional Poster
Nov 10, 2012, 05:21 AM

At least now we know he's qualified to run for office now. But only as a Democrat: a Republican would have had an affair with a man.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Nov 10, 2012, 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
Why is he resigning? Adultery is bad, but you know, just stop doing it and go back to work. FFS.
The only reason this was even exposed was because the FBI was checking his personal Gmail account. And then some blabla about external unauthorized access attempts on the account by the well broad, or somebody close to her.

Why was the FBI investigating Petraeus' private e-mail account? Doesn't that seem fishy to you?

My gut feeling:

This isn't about Broadwell, but Broadwell made a pertinent excuse before whatever else was actually going down could do too much damage to Obama's position.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 10, 2012, 10:33 AM

The head of the CIA can't keep shit secret?

The head of the CIA uses a Gmail account?

Someone, supposedly in this country, tries to hack said Gmail account? Not enough anal rape at home?

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 10, 2012, 11:14 AM

So, the DoJ breaks this to the Director of National Intelligence at 5 PM... on Tuesday.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Nov 10, 2012, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
The head of the CIA can't keep shit secret?

The head of the CIA uses a Gmail account?

Someone, supposedly in this country, tries to hack said Gmail account? Not enough anal rape at home?
Well, if it's a legitimate hack, the FBI has ways to try to shut that whole thing down.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Nov 10, 2012, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Well, if it's a legitimate hack, the FBI has ways to try to shut that whole thing down.
That would only be the case under a republican president.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Nov 10, 2012, 05:29 PM

Something *is* fishy.

I expect Petraeus to testify soon on the Benghazi issue. Now that he's no more the head of the CIA, he will tell it like it was. There will be heads rolling once the whole truth comes out. Maybe even Obama's. We can only hope.

Edit: Well, hello. Now this makes much more sense.

Why Did CIA Chief David Petraeus Suddenly Resign?

CIA boss David Petraeus suddenly resigned, admitting to an affair. This could be the real explanation, given that affairs of high-level intelligence chiefs could compromise national security.

But the timing of Petraeus’ resignation becomes more interesting once one learns that that he was scheduled to testify under oath next week before power House and Senate committees regarding the Benghazi consulate.

Many speculate that it wasn’t an affair – but the desire to avoid testifying on Benghazi – which was the real reason for Petraeus’ sudden resignation.
I need to do more digging. But if it turns out that Petraeus can't be forced to testify ow that he has resigned, that of course would be a very clear sign that he was "forced out".

-t

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 10, 2012, 07:28 PM

That's certainly what's popping into my head, but let's break this down.

It seems to me Petraeus would have to know something his immediate subordinates don't know, otherwise stopping his testimony accomplishes nothing. Someone else will just say what he was going to say.

That makes no sense. How long is the chain of command between him and operations in Benghazi? At least two people, probably more like five. These people don't know the damning information and can't testify as such?

Likewise, if Petraeus really has the goods, an affair isn't enough to force him out without squealing. If anything, it's going to prompt him to spill. What could they be giving him to stay quiet?

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 10, 2012, 09:18 PM

**** you, you made me shoot pineapple juice out of my nose.

+1 for you.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 10, 2012, 09:21 PM

That's certainly what's popping into my head, but let's break this down.
It seems to me Petraeus would have to know something his immediate subordinates don't know, otherwise stopping his testimony accomplishes nothing. Someone else will just say what he was going to say.
That makes no sense. How long is the chain of command between him and operations in Benghazi? At least two people, probably more like five. These people don't know the damning information and can't testify as such?
Likewise, if Petraeus really has the goods, an affair isn't enough to force him out without squealing. If anything, it's going to prompt him to spill. What could they be giving him to stay quiet?
or, more likely, what are they threatening to take away.
- Thomas Paine

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 10, 2012, 09:55 PM

Like?

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 11, 2012, 03:35 AM

His life, freedom, pension, testes, or all of the above.

Oh, and, damn... wouldn't you hate to be this guy?

http://gawker.com/5959398/did-paula-broadwells-cuckolded-husband-write-a-letter-to-chuck-klosterman-aka-the-new-york-times-ethicist
- Thomas Paine

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Nov 11, 2012, 04:27 AM

http://gawker.com/5959398/did-paula-broadwells-cuckolded-husband-write-a-letter-to-chuck-klosterman-aka-the-new-york-times-ethicist
I dunno. Of course, yeah, that sucks. But apparently, he's been dealing with the situation for a year.

And this current scandal is going to boost sales of her book like crazy.

Depending upon the pre-nup, he's going to be come out of this situation with a cheating ex-wife less and a fat bank account.

andi*pandi
Nov 11, 2012, 06:44 AM

Anybody in the business of secrecy, who has an affair or other dirty little secret can be blackmailed. It shows lack of judgement.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Nov 11, 2012, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
Anybody in the business of secrecy, who has an affair or other dirty little secret can be blackmailed. It shows lack of judgement.
This. It's certainly possible that there's a larger conspiracy here, especially if that's what you want to believe, but it's also possible that the explanation is simple.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 11, 2012, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Well, hello. Now this makes much more sense.
Originally Posted by Moronic Conspiracy Obsessed Website
Many speculate that it wasn’t an affair – but the desire to avoid testifying on Benghazi – which was the real reason for Petraeus’ sudden resignation.
No, it doesn't make a ounce of sense. Petraeus is obligated to testify to Congress when asked whether he is still CIA Director or not, and he is obligated to tell the truth whether he is CIA Director or not.
I need to do more digging. But if it turns out that Petraeus can't be forced to testify ow that he has resigned, that of course would be a very clear sign that he was "forced out".
You should consider digging in the correct place first.

Anyone attempting to link the resignation to Benghazi should go back to investigating the Lock Ness monster or whether man ever walked on the moon.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Nov 11, 2012, 08:33 AM

Can you rephrase that with a somewhat less offensive tone?

Starting with "no, I don't think so. Here's why:" would be a good start.

Cuz you know, some of us aren't 100% aware of the procedural requirements DESPITE not being totally dumb assholes, and do appreciate knowledgable discussion and details without being assumed to be morons.

Yours from the left-wing gallery,

-dumb asshole (apparently)

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Nov 11, 2012, 08:38 AM

I do agree that the simplest explanation is likely to be the correct one, though I am intrigued as to what sort of "criminal activity" would warrant covert inspection of the head of CIA's private email.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 11, 2012, 09:17 AM

I suppose I could. But I won't. Besides, I would call it "confrontational," not "offensive."
Cuz you know, some of us aren't 100% aware of the procedural requirements DESPITE not being totally dumb assholes, and do appreciate knowledgable discussion and details without being assumed to be morons.
I don't think you're a dumb asshole. In fact, I didn't call anyone here dumb or asshole. I said that site was moronic and conspiracy obsessed, and I still think so.

Congress can call on anyone they like, whether gov't employees or not, and demand answers. CEOs are called to testify to Congress all the time. I thought everyone knew this.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 11, 2012, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by lpkmckenna View Post
Congress can call on anyone they like, whether gov't employees or not, and demand answers. CEOs are called to testify to Congress all the time. I thought everyone knew this.
and, he can plead the 5th. If he were still a civil servant he'd have a tougher time doing that. Now he can just repeat it over and over again without being in contempt of congress or possibly have his career placed in jeopardy.
- Thomas Paine

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 11, 2012, 10:42 AM

and, he can plead the 5th. If he were still a civil servant he'd have a tougher time doing that. Now he can just repeat it over and over again without being in contempt of congress or possibly have his career placed in jeopardy.
Think about what you are saying. He quit his job so he could plead the fifth without without placing his job in jeopardy? Tell me that makes sense to you.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Nov 11, 2012, 01:15 PM

I suppose I could. But I won't. Besides, I would call it "confrontational," not "offensive."
"Abrasive" would have been a better word.

I just realized over the past few days that I actually enjoy reading and discussing political issues in a civilized manner.

And your posts sort of stuck out and reminded me of why I had myself banned from the Poli lounge for years and years.

Mind you, there was much worse here in the past, and I've certainly held up with the best of them, but I just wanted to point out that it could be so much nicer here if people stressed themselves and others a little less.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 11, 2012, 02:03 PM

Think about what you are saying. He quit his job so he could plead the fifth without without placing his job in jeopardy? Tell me that makes sense to you.
No, I didn't say that, read it again. Retiring is different than getting canned, he's thinking about how he'll be perceived historically. Plus, as I added, there's the whole contempt of congress thing.
- Thomas Paine

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 11, 2012, 02:04 PM

I just realized over the past few days that I actually enjoy reading and discussing political issues in a civilized manner.
It's been refreshing, for a change.
- Thomas Paine

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 11, 2012, 03:31 PM

His life, freedom, pension, testes, or all of the above.
That seems to be about a different high-ranking official who's hiding the sausage.

I don't buy Petraeus has to concern himself with things such as being "disappeared". That's an impractical solution to dealing with someone who's that popular, and well connected.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 11, 2012, 05:13 PM

My feminist sensors are tripped by this successful, married mother going Glenn Close on a friend of Petraeus.

It's one of those things I think a lot of people are inclined to buy without analysis, but is actually kind of implausible.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Nov 11, 2012, 05:33 PM

And your posts sort of stuck out and reminded me of why I had myself banned from the Poli lounge for years and years.
Mind you, there was much worse here in the past, and I've certainly held up with the best of them, but I just wanted to point out that it could be so much nicer here if people stressed themselves and others a little less.
I wish we could all agree to make a pact to tone down the confrontational stuff.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 12, 2012, 07:01 AM

This story was believable until the second chick turned out to be a twin.

Also, Bill is somewhere thinking, "I'd like to have a drink with that guy."

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 12, 2012, 08:31 AM

No, I didn't say that, read it again.
Actually, that's exactly what you said.

Retiring is different than getting canned, he's thinking about how he'll be perceived historically.
Right, because he would rather be remembered as an adulterer than as the head of the CIA when an event 5000 miles away occurred.

And even in the unlikely event that the CIA criminally screwed up regarding Libya, his refusal to answer questions is meaningless because there are mountains of official documentation, the potential testimony of hundreds of other CIA personnel, and so on. He can't cover up anything by quitting his job.

And to plead the fifth is a public declaration of criminal behaviour (which cannot be used against you). Like admitting adultery, it destroys his public reputation. He is essentially telling the world: I broke the law.

And after doing both of those things and quitting his job, what exactly do you think he is accomplishing? What is it he is trying to escape from by doing these three crazy things?

Petraeus was bonking his biographer. That's all that's happened.

Plus, as I added, there's the whole contempt of congress thing.
Like I said, he escapes none of that by quitting his job.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 12, 2012, 12:03 PM

Ok, this can't be real. The timing is just too cheeky.

'Sesame Street' Elmo puppeteer takes leave amid sex scandal

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 12, 2012, 12:07 PM

Petraeus banging a muppet confirmed.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 12, 2012, 01:41 PM

The first decent conspiracy theory I've heard is the CIA annex in Benghazi was detaining a bunch of prisoners. You know, that thing we supposedly didn't do anymore.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 12, 2012, 01:45 PM

That sounds like the least hair-brained of the lot, but I can't see that it would be enough to push out the director.
- Thomas Paine

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 12, 2012, 02:05 PM

It's a violation of a direct order from the president.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 13, 2012, 08:56 AM

It looks like the real issue isn't Petraeus banging Broadwell, but that Broadwell may have been helping herself to classified information. It doesn't look good when the general's girlfriend is stealing information.

And it looks like another general is being torn down too: Gen. John Allen tied to Jill Kelley, Petraeus affair scandal.

Commanders in Afghanistan seem prone to bad behaviour. An affair brought down a Canadian general just last year: Ex-Canadian Forces commander Menard loses rank.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 13, 2012, 11:51 AM

From the first link above:

"Kelley initially went to an agent in the FBI’s Tampa field office who was an acquaintance to report the threatening e- mails, said one of the officials. The Wall Street Journal reported last night that the agent, who hasn’t been identified, was barred from the case for inappropriate behavior.

Hmmm... why am I assuming this "inappropriate behavior" includes banging?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 13, 2012, 11:56 AM

So this story got crazy over the weekend. Been having trouble connecting the dots, but someone summarized it well enough that I find it less confusing:

Broadwell sends threatening emails to Kelley because of her proximity to Petraeus.
Kelley reaches out to a friend in the FBI
FBI Agent has a thing for Kelley so does best looking into Broadwell
Finds out Broadwell is connected to Petraeus, mostly at the crotch
FBI Agent gets in "too deep" and is pulled off the case for being obsessive (including sending a topless photo to Kelley)
FBI Agent thinks there's a cover-up afoot and tells a congressional representative
This gets related right back to FBI HQ
FBI HQ expands the investigation but tells no one
As a result they find a metric ****-ton of emails between Kelley and a general in Afghanistan, Allen.
The poster theorizes this all started because Kelley was a "base whore" (unpaid social liaison) that was starting work closely with Petraeus, so Broadwell wanted to mark her territory clearly.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 13, 2012, 12:13 PM

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Nov 14, 2012, 04:17 AM

OH! Look at the pretty shiny thing mommy!!

This is a bunch of smoke screen BS.

Lets get back to the timing of all this in relation to the election, and what the various players were doing Sept 11 and after.
Who knew what when?
Who was covering for who?
Whats the deal with possible prisoners being held in a CIA 'safe house'?
Who ordered the CIA to stand down?
Is the White House trying to throw the CIA under the bus?

CIA Head resigns and may not testify.
Same for Hillary - won't be testifying, gonna go visit some friends on Gov't dime.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 15, 2012, 10:56 AM

One thing which has come out of this which I thought was nifty was people writing emails to each other by sharing the same account and communicating via drafts.

Never would have thought of that. I'd make a crappy spy.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 15, 2012, 12:21 PM

One thing which has come out of this which I thought was nifty was people writing emails to each other by sharing the same account and communicating via drafts.
Never would have thought of that. I'd make a crappy spy.
Teenagers do this. A spy never would.

(It's important to remember: spies are experts at uncovering information, not hiding it. Most modern spies completely rely on the knowedge of their IT people for communications security, just the same as everyone else.)

As for the single account thing, it actually accomplishes no security at all, since it's all stored on the same server whether as a sent item or a draft. The only point is to keep your affair communications completely separate from your normal email, and there's not much point for both people to make new email accounts when you can get by with just one, and you always remember to log off afterwards.

It's actually a bad system, since if one person decided to break up, he/she can just change the log-in password, giving them complete ownership of all the info, which the other party could be blackmailed with but can never use as blackmail themselves. What I'm saying is, don't do it.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 15, 2012, 02:06 PM

How exactly are you going to blackmail me with drafts from an email account (which now) only you have the password to?

Besides, I'd rather tell the whole world about our affair like I just did rather than give you a goddamn penny.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 15, 2012, 02:32 PM

How exactly are you going to blackmail me with drafts from an email account (which now) only you have the password to?
Besides, I'd rather tell the whole world about our affair like I just did rather than give you a goddamn penny.
I didn't really mean blackmail for money, but that is certainly possible, and some people would pay. More likely though, using it as leverage for other things like demanding the occasional booty call, or just to be mean for no reason at all.

In the affair, you've likely shared a lot of info in that draft folder about lies you've told to your spouse, complaints you've made about your spouse, methods of evading detection and ways of meeting up, and so on. Your ex-lover could pass on bits and pieces of the very text your wrote back to your spouse, and it would be very painful for her/him to read, as it would be obvious that it was really your way of writing. And your ex-lover would have that power exclusively, as you couldn't demonstrate the context where you said something nasty, or the many places in your drafts where you insist that you still deeply love your spouse and would never leave him/her.

The point is, the ex-lover who closes the account has something you don't, and a possible reason to use it.

Think of it like your ex-lover having a sex tape of you, but you don't have a copy. Whatever happens, they can do anything with it, and any time in the indeterminate future, and he/she could release whatever parts that make you look bad, and never release any parts that make them look bad.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 15, 2012, 02:35 PM

Unless I've made copies. Then it's MAD.

I don't even need copies. I just have to make you think I do.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 15, 2012, 03:11 PM

Unless I've made copies. Then it's MAD.
I don't even need copies. I just have to make you think I do.
If you already knew you needed your own copies of your emails, you wouldn't share a GMail account for the affair. You'd insist on your own separate accounts.

Forum Links
Forum Rules