Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Feedback > NewsPoster

NewsPoster
Dork.
Professional Poster
Mar 23, 2013, 10:06 AM

I've been quite busy lately, and in the limited time I have to hang out online, I've noticed that I've spent less time on MacNN. Today, I figured out why: I generally use New Posts to see what is going on, and 3/4 of it is taken up with NewsPoster posts about topics that I've already read about in other places and have no desire to talk about here. So I see fewer interesting threads, and then just go to Reddit or Ars Technica instead (to see what NewsPoster will post about tomorrow.) I've tried ignoring NewsPoster, but its' posts still show up in New Posts.

Does NewsPoster only post in the News Forums? If so, can I request a ban from the News forums, in order to remove them from my New Posts view?

Thank you!

cgc
Professional Poster
Mar 23, 2013, 10:34 AM

I wish NewsPoster would just go away as it post crap articles, some out of context. Don't see the value of a stupid autobot posting junk to try to draw people in...I think it pushes people out.
"Like a midget at a urinal, I was going to have to stay on my toes." Frank Drebin, Naked Gun 33 1/3: The Final Insult

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 23, 2013, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by Dork. View Post
I've been quite busy lately, and in the limited time I have to hang out online, I've noticed that I've spent less time on MacNN. Today, I figured out why: I generally use New Posts to see what is going on, and 3/4 of it is taken up with NewsPoster posts about topics that I've already read about in other places and have no desire to talk about here. So I see fewer interesting threads, and then just go to Reddit or Ars Technica instead (to see what NewsPoster will post about tomorrow.) I've tried ignoring NewsPoster, but its' posts still show up in New Posts.
There's a logical disconnect in there somewhere.

All you see is Newsposter threads, which you're not interested in discussing. But if you take those away, there's hardly any discussion at all, let alone any you'd be interested in discussing.

So NewsPoster or not, it's a lose-lose, no?

I've been spending *slightly* less time here, mostly due to the fact that stuff simply isn't being discussed, and the news comments are just filled with trolls, since almost none of the regulars participate there or ignore NewsPoster outright.

reader50
Administrator
Mar 23, 2013, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by Dork. View Post
Does NewsPoster only post in the News Forums? If so, can I request a ban from the News forums, in order to remove them from my New Posts view?
Yes, yes, and done. See, you shoulda asked for the money too.

I think ignoring NewsPoster should make those threads vanish ... unless other people reply. The current behavior is a bug in my opinion. One of several things I need to dig into.

The integration idea is some of the news commenters may wander out to the wider forums. Without a source of new members, we kept declining more every year.

Dork.  (op)
Professional Poster
Mar 23, 2013, 02:12 PM

Ahh, much better. Thank you!

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 2, 2013, 11:16 AM

Please can you do your magic for me to not see the NewsPoster posts when I click on 'new posts'.

Thanks in advance.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 2, 2013, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
All you see is Newsposter threads, which you're not interested in discussing. But if you take those away, there's hardly any discussion at all, let alone any you'd be interested in discussing.
I think the argument is that Newsposter doesn't foster meaningful discussion. Given the rate of posting and the inability to apply he's little more than a spambot. The one point I would give you is by refusing to comment on News stories, regulars have re-erected a wall between the forums and the news section, stunting any attempt to get new blood.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Apr 2, 2013, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
I think the argument is that Newsposter doesn't foster meaningful discussion. Given the rate of posting and the inability to apply he's little more than a spambot.
NewsPoster isn't the one discussing the news in the comments. But there are actually a few comments regulars, and some interesting discussion there.

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
The one point I would give you is by refusing to comment on News stories, regulars have re-erected a wall between the forums and the news section, stunting any attempt to get new blood.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 2, 2013, 03:36 PM

Thankyou thankyou thankyou !!!

Forum Links
Forum Rules