Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Dictator Ronald Reagan Aided Iraq and Saddam Hussein in Chemical Warfare against Iran

Dictator Ronald Reagan Aided Iraq and Saddam Hussein in Chemical Warfare against Iran
hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 10, 2013, 07:51 AM

Just as Ronald Reagan to denied any involvement in the Iran-Contra scandal, Ronald Reagan denied knowing Iraq was using chemical warfare on Iran.

However, recent declassified CIA documents and interviews released under FOIA, revealed that the U.S. had firm evidence of Iraqi chemical attacks beginning in 1983. The Reagan administration decided that it was better to let the attacks continue if they might turn the tide of the war. Even helping by providing military assistance and intelligence to Iraq.

The declassified CIA documents show that Casey and other top officials were repeatedly informed about Iraq's chemical attacks and its plans for launching more. "If the Iraqis produce or acquire large new supplies of mustard agent, they almost certainly would use it against Iranian troops and towns near the border," the CIA said in a top secret document.

But it was the express policy of Reagan to ensure an Iraqi victory in the war, whatever the cost.

It was in late 1983 that Ronald Reagan made Mr Rumsfeld his envoy as the Iranians gained the upper hand in their war with Iraq.

Terrified that the Iranian Islamic revolution would spread through the Gulf and into Saudi Arabia - threatening US oil supplies - Mr Reagan sent Mr Rumsfeld to prop up Saddam and keep the Iranian militants within their own borders. US Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld helped Saddam Hussein build up his arsenal of deadly chemical and biological weapons.

Rumsfeld 'helped Iraq get chemical weapons' | Mail Online

Exclusive: CIA Files Prove America Helped Saddam as He Gassed Iran - By Shane Harris and Matthew M. Aid | Foreign Policy

U.S. Gave Iraq Intel, Ignored Chemical Attacks In 1980s, Report Says
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 10, 2013, 09:54 AM

It's already common knowledge that the US provided military and weapons support to Saddam Hussein in the 80s.

I'm not really sure why you're frothing at the mouth over the actions of a guy who's dead now. Who cares?
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 10, 2013, 10:24 AM

FDR knew the Japanese were going to attack Pearl Harbor with planes built from scrap iron we sold them and Howard Hughes' design the Army Air Corp turned down.
45/47

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Sep 10, 2013, 03:51 PM

I knew this back in high school, and I'm 43 now.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Snow-i
Professional Poster
Sep 10, 2013, 03:53 PM

hyteckit  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 10, 2013, 08:25 PM

It's new information released in Aug 2013, not just confirming what most of you guys knew, but that Reagan and the Reagan administration was more involved and knew a lot more than previously thought or had us lead to believe.

hyteckit  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 10, 2013, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by shifuimam View Post
It's already common knowledge that the US provided military and weapons support to Saddam Hussein in the 80s.

I'm not really sure why you're frothing at the mouth over the actions of a guy who's dead now. Who cares?
Just dispelling the myth of Super Reagan and how Super Reagan would not let Assad go on using chemical weapons according to Bill O'Reilly and guys at FOX News.

Stephen Colbert Mocks Bill O'Reilly's Ridiculous Reagan vs. Syria Argument (VIDEO)

hyteckit  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 10, 2013, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
I knew this back in high school, and I'm 43 now.
Guys working at FOX news doesn't seem to know that. Neither do most of their viewers.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Sep 10, 2013, 09:00 PM

Wouldn't know, I don't watch Faux News.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Sep 10, 2013, 09:06 PM

All I can say is the Rants & Raves forum on Craigslist, Mars must've slowed down a hell of a lot.
ebuddy

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 10, 2013, 10:49 PM

I watched a bit of Al Jazeera. Their panel's take was Putin is covering his ass because he sold the Syrians the nerve gas used.
45/47

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 11, 2013, 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by hyteckit View Post
Just dispelling the myth of Super Reagan and how Super Reagan would not let Assad go on using chemical weapons according to Bill O'Reilly and guys at FOX News.

Stephen Colbert Mocks Bill O'Reilly's Ridiculous Reagan vs. Syria Argument (VIDEO)
Nobody is fapping over Reagan in here.

You are such an amateur at trolling...

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Sep 11, 2013, 01:03 AM

Nobody is fapping over Reagan in here.

You are such an amateur at trolling...

Can girls fap?

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Sep 11, 2013, 07:40 AM

And people criticize me for decrying the amateur punditry on Comedy Central. You've got different posts of this Administration at direct odds with one another, on the hour, in perhaps the most hastily and sloppily crafted foreign policy known to mankind and what is newsworthy to Colbert?

What O'Reilly thinks of all this.

Meanwhile, Reagan was generally accepted as such a foreign policy failure that this President would be compelled to quote the man. We're going to "trust, but verify" whether or not what Kerry claimed "impossible" just hours prior, really isn't.
ebuddy

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Sep 11, 2013, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by ebuddy View Post
And people criticize me for decrying the amateur punditry on Comedy Central. You've got different posts of this Administration at direct odds with one another, on the hour, in perhaps the most hastily and sloppily crafted foreign policy known to mankind and what is newsworthy to Colbert?

What O'Reilly thinks of all this.

Meanwhile, Reagan was generally accepted as such a foreign policy failure that this President would be compelled to quote the man. We're going to "trust, but verify" whether or not what Kerry claimed "impossible" just hours prior, really isn't.

I think the evident fact that you believe that Colbert and Stewart are pundits is worthy of criticism.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 11, 2013, 01:36 PM

My mother straight-up didn't believe me when I told her Colbert's a Democrat.

She looked at me with her mouth slightly open, did a double-take, and said "Noooo he's not! Have you seen his show?!"

I used to hate on Jon Stewart until I started watching his stuff. We mute it when John Oliver comes on, though. He grates on me something fierce.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Sep 11, 2013, 02:27 PM

My mother straight-up didn't believe me when I told her Colbert's a Democrat.

She looked at me with her mouth slightly open, did a double-take, and said "Noooo he's not! Have you seen his show?!"

I used to hate on Jon Stewart until I started watching his stuff. We mute it when John Oliver comes on, though. He grates on me something fierce.

I don't understand why so many people, evidently ebuddy included, don't seem to understand that Colbert's and Stewart's gig is to make people laugh using some sort of opinion as a means to do so. Stewart/Colbert generally try to make their opinions somewhat if not fully informed, because I think for those that can see the fallacy of their comical bit the bit loses its comedic edge. However, this doesn't mean that they are somehow responsible for making their opinions bulletproof, that they are pundits, journalists, or anything of that nature, they just need to make their material worthy of comedy so that they can entertain, that is it. They have no other responsibility.

I don't understand why people criticize them as pundits or journalists. They aren't, and I don't think Stewart could do any more to make it clear that he is a comedian above everything else. Colbert doesn't seem to be put on the defensive as much as Stewart this way because his character is different, he is a running parody of a lovable but woefully misinformed blowhard. I think the silliness of his viewpoints and the nature in which he makes them makes it clear that he also is not a pundit.

I don't think Colbert has ever said that he is a left-winger, but either he is, or else the right just creates way too much content for him to pass up, or both... Not that it really matters, at the end of the day if he is funny he is doing his job.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 11, 2013, 03:57 PM

Wikipedia's article about him cites a 2004 interview in which he said he's a Democrat. Then again, he's a pretty smart guy, so I suppose he might choose to not identify directly with either party.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 11, 2013, 04:36 PM

I feel like mods left this thread open as punishment.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Sep 11, 2013, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
I feel like mods left this thread open as punishment.

Forum Links
Forum Rules