Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Router kills World of Warcraft

Router kills World of Warcraft
Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jul 8, 2005, 01:55 AM

I have a Linksys 802.11g router. I recently got World of Warcraft, but I can't play it through the router. The game will work for a short time (anywhere from, say, two seconds to a couple of minutes), then everything in the world will freeze and I won't be able to interact with anything. I went through the connection troubleshooting page on Blizzard's site and made sure all the ports they mentioned were forwarded to this computer's IP, but still no go. Even with a DMZ turned on and the router's firewall turned off, the connection dies. I'm pretty much stumped, so I was hoping this might sound familiar to somebody here. Anybody?
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 8, 2005, 09:37 AM

Is your computer's firewall passing that traffic too? And what about your ISP-do they say anything about games?

Do you have this problem when you're plugged directly into the modem? And what happens if you connect to the router via cable instead of wireless?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Chuckit  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 8, 2005, 03:38 PM

It works if I plug in directly to the modem, but not if I plug into the router. I had my software firewall off for all the tests.

Strangely, I've found that if I leech my neighbors' connection (also on Roadrunner, and also using a Linksys router, though I'm not sure of the model), I get through. I wonder if my router is defective.
Chuck
___

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 8, 2005, 05:31 PM

If you're certain that your router is set correctly to put your computer in its DMZ, there is probably something wrong with the router.

The DMZ settings are pretty straightforward; you specify one LAN IP that will be placed "in the DMZ," and the router passes any and all traffic for that computer without any interference. In order for this to work though, you have to assign that computer a manual IP. Most people find that using port forwarding is better for them, because only the specific ports they specify are passed untouched, and the rest are left to the router to handle.

The one thing I still don't understand from your original post is the phrase "even with the router's firewall turned off..." What precisely do you mean by that?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Chuckit  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 10, 2005, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter
If you're certain that your router is set correctly to put your computer in its DMZ, there is probably something wrong with the router.
That's pretty much what I thought, but I'm always hesitant to say, "It's broken!" when in fact my knowing-what-I'm-doing may be broken. I thought maybe there was some kind of well-known quirk of MMOGs that I didn't know about.

Originally Posted by ghporter
The one thing I still don't understand from your original post is the phrase "even with the router's firewall turned off..." What precisely do you mean by that?
The router has an SPI firewall built in.

Anyway, thanks for your help. I guess it's time for a new router. (Maybe one whose company actually supports the Mac this time...)
Chuck
___

Forum Links
Forum Rules