Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Set Service Order = poopy

Set Service Order = poopy
Ted L. Nancy
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 12, 2008, 03:03 PM

Currently, on my MacBook, my order is set for ethernet first, AirPort second.

Problem: If AirPort is on, the computer prefers the Airport connection, regardless of my service order. Ethernet is working properly (connect to same Time Capsule hosting the Airport). I know the problem occurs because when trying to play a movie over my network on my MacBook, I'll have the ethernet plugged in and Airport on, but if I turn Airport off, the connection is dropped, VLC/DVD Player crashes, etc.
10.7.1 on Mac Pro 8x2.8

ibook_steve
Dec 12, 2008, 04:09 PM

Check your network preferences and make sure when the ethernet is connected that it is getting a valid IP address. If for some reason it isn't, the computer will keep using the next interface in the list, namely Airport. You may have been connecting to the TC over Airport, thinking you were connecting by ethernet.

You could have a bad ethernet cable as well.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

Ted L. Nancy  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 12, 2008, 04:31 PM

Like I said, ethernet is working properly. I've got an IP address. In fact, I've watched my Network pref pane when I recreate the issue, and ethernet does in fact move to the top, but it is obvious that the connection being used is in fact Airport since the failure described above occurs.

I know some elevator companies don't wire the "close door" button, and its effect is essentially reduced to making people feel good. I almost get the sense that I'm getting the same treatment from the Set Service Order preference.
10.7.1 on Mac Pro 8x2.8

ibook_steve
Dec 12, 2008, 08:35 PM

So with Airport turned off, nothing works even though you have a valid IP address for ethernet?

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 12, 2008, 11:04 PM

I have yet to use an elevator in which the "door close" button does not work as expected-it closes the door when you push it. You're experiencing something going wrong with your networking services, not some placebo Apple has foisted on you.

I wonder if turning off your AirPort card causes the computer to restart or reinitialize anything in the networking system. Do you have a G or N AirPort network? What speeds are you seeing your transfers going for your videos?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Ted L. Nancy  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 12, 2008, 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
I have yet to use an elevator in which the "door close" button does not work as expected-it closes the door when you push it.
That's what they want you to think.

Do you have a G or N AirPort network?
N
What speeds are you seeing your transfers going for your videos?
Not sure. How would I check?
10.7.1 on Mac Pro 8x2.8

Ted L. Nancy  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 13, 2008, 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by ibook_steve View Post
So with Airport turned off, nothing works even though you have a valid IP address for ethernet?
Incorrect.

- Airport off / Ethernet plugged in: Ethernet works.

- Airport on / Ethernet unplugged: Airport works.

- Airport on / ethernet plugged in: I have a network connection (I can connect to my MP's server and the internet), but I am unsure as to whether it is via Airport or Ethernet. (According to my settings for Set Service Order, it should be Ethernet.)

----- Problem: When both are on, and I'm, say, playing a video_ts folder located on my MP via DVD Player on my MB, and I turn Airport off (to save battery), the moment I do so the movie stops in DVD Player and my mounted drives from my MP are disconnected.

Sorry for being unclear in my OP.
10.7.1 on Mac Pro 8x2.8

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 13, 2008, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by Ted L. Nancy View Post
That's what they want you to think.
Nope, I've seen the hardware. It works. Unlike the call button on the first floor--that might be a dummy...

N
Good to know.
Not sure. How would I check?
That depends on your player. Most have some sort of way to monitor either the stream speed or buffer status, either of which should be able to tell you what speed the data is getting to you.

I still think that there's something goofy about how your Mac is handling turning off your AirPort card...

Ted L. Nancy  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 13, 2008, 01:03 PM

I still think that there's something goofy about how your Mac is handling turning off your AirPort card...
So do you think it is a hardware issue? Software? Any suggestions on what I should do to fix it?
10.7.1 on Mac Pro 8x2.8

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 14, 2008, 12:08 PM

So do you think it is a hardware issue? Software? Any suggestions on what I should do to fix it?
I don't know yet, and I'm still doing some research on it. I don't think it's hardware...

Ted L. Nancy  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 14, 2008, 01:41 PM

k, appreciate the help...
10.7.1 on Mac Pro 8x2.8

Forum Links
Forum Rules