Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Hillary and the email

Hillary and the email (Page 6)
Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 11, 2016, 01:27 AM

"Regular folk" are concerned about poor decision making and possible treason, whoda thought that?
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 11, 2016, 01:27 AM

Hillary ending up in the pokey impacts the lives of the voting public, no?

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 11, 2016, 02:40 AM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Hillary ending up in the pokey impacts the lives of the voting public, no?

In the big picture? Not as much as people think.

If she ends up not being the president, our national problems (i.e. concentrations of powers in the upper social classes, etc. - you've heard me ramble about these many times in the past) remain. Many of our problems would remain if she is president, or if Trump or anybody else is president, and we aren't focused on these issues as an overall population.

Our national problems are systemic, not specific to a presidency. While a productive president might help put us on the right path to addressing these problems, and while her being put in the pokey might accomplish the same, it is so very very very very very very very very tiresome to see all of this wasted energy being focused on symptoms of a problem rather than its root cause. If she is put in the pokey, she'll be replaced by somebody else, or Trump will be elected, and in the grand scheme little will be accomplished in just continuing this broken pattern.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 11, 2016, 03:16 AM

We have only two parties. If the leader of one explodes in a giant fireball, there would be utter chaos. That's not the symptom of a problem, it's an actual problem.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 11, 2016, 10:19 AM

We have only two parties. If the leader of one explodes in a giant fireball, there would be utter chaos. That's not the symptom of a problem, it's an actual problem.
For a short time, until the VP takes over, or the party comes up with a new nominee.

The US has recovered from this a number of times Vice Presidents , so I think we have different definitions of utter chaos. I would argue that we'd be facing even greater utter chaos without breaking these patterns.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 11, 2016, 03:06 PM

The closest thing on that list is Nixon, which was pretty frigging bad, and this would be far worse.

The important distinction is whether it is perceived an election was interfered with. Nixon was already in office, so that question never came up.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 11, 2016, 03:29 PM

Just think what would happen if Hillary is formally indicted a few weeks, or even a month, before the GE. While that would be entertaining in many respects, and she does need to answer for any possible crimes, it certainly would turn the country on its ear.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 11, 2016, 03:33 PM

And the DNC would appoint Bernie Sanders and the election would continue, sans chaos.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 11, 2016, 03:34 PM

You think the Feminists and BLM people wouldn't lose their shit? There'd be chaos alright, more than you imagine.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 11, 2016, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
And the DNC would appoint Bernie Sanders and the election would continue, sans chaos.
Here's the thing... whether that's the case depends entirely on timing. This happens next week, it's a speed bump.

This happens in three or six months? Fasten your seatbelts, it's going to be a bumpy night.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 11, 2016, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by Cap'n Tightpants View Post
You think the Feminists and BLM people wouldn't lose their shit? There'd be chaos alright, more than you imagine.
Any more so than Trump being nominated?

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 11, 2016, 03:48 PM

Any more so than Trump being nominated?
Yes.

Being denied a run has different optics than running and losing.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 13, 2016, 03:09 PM

45/47

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 23, 2016, 10:20 AM

Emails: State Dept. scrambled on trouble on Clinton's server

Originally Posted by AP
State Department staffers wrestled for weeks in December 2010 over a serious technical problem that affected emails from then-Secretary Hillary Clinton's home email server, causing them to temporarily disable security features on the government's own systems, according to emails released Wednesday.
Yes, you read that right. Anti-phishing security on the State Department network was blocking emails from the server in a closet, so the State Department turned that security off.

For the entire State Department.

BadKosh  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 23, 2016, 10:55 AM

Pleading the 5th over 125 times is an amazing number. Hillary attracts the worst people.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 23, 2016, 11:15 AM

TBH, if I didn't have to, I wouldn't say a goddamn thing. My guilt or innocence wouldn't even enter into it.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 23, 2016, 11:19 AM

Dear AP headline writer,

It should be "scrambled over trouble on Clinton's server". Don't repeat a word in the same sentence if you don't have to.

No charge for that.

Snow-i
Professional Poster
Jun 24, 2016, 06:20 PM

I propose we start a new list for "national security" and to stop mass corruption. Anyone on this list is denied their 5A & 1A rights without due process because, think of the children!!!!

The list is comprised of those who are in a position to cause harm to the nation through their positions of and around power. There won't be any legal criteria for the list, at least not publicly and there won't be any appeals process. We'll just stick a couple of suits in a room and come up with people we think may at some point in the future cause harm to the nation (read: our agenda) without oversight. Once on the list, all constitutional rights and especially the 5A are foreit, and failure to comply will be a felony offence. No one will come off the list, and we won't even make public the list itself. HRC's IT guy would be the first on the list, obv. This new approach is "common sense" for combatting corruption. If you don't agree that this is "common sense" and good for our nation, you're a rapist/terrorist/republican.

It's what we're trying to do with guns, and those aren't even the real threat to our nation and our way of life.

But really, a vote for HRC is a vote for corruption. Plain and simple. I'm not advocating you vote for Trump (I'm not even going to) but at a certain point we've got to let the elites know that we're not standing for this bullshit any more.

BadKosh  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 25, 2016, 11:03 AM

Well said!

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jun 25, 2016, 07:17 PM

American gun lovers bitching about political corruption. Thats a good one.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 25, 2016, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
Well, you're a simpleton if your thinking only goes along these lines.

Not sure why I even make this a qualifying statement...

-t

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 25, 2016, 08:30 PM

I feel there's irony which is supposed to be slapping me in the face, but I'm somehow missing it.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jun 25, 2016, 09:40 PM

The NRA has owned your entire government for years now.

No doubt thats Hilary's fault somehow.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 25, 2016, 10:17 PM

I feel there's irony which is supposed to be slapping me in the face, but I'm somehow missing it.
An EU croney droning on about political corruption, maybe?

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Well, you're a simpleton if your thinking only goes along these lines.
For you:

BadKosh  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 26, 2016, 05:52 AM

Your gullibility and naive nature makes you see some fictional stereotypes and plots as facts. You have NO IDEA about what the NRA actually does. Do you typically confuse reality with some TV show or movies you've seen in the past? Hey, thats OK, if I can believe that Black Adder represents TRUE British and European history.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jun 26, 2016, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by BadKosh View Post
Your gullibility and naive nature makes you see some fictional stereotypes and plots as facts. You have NO IDEA about what the NRA actually does. Do you typically confuse reality with some TV show or movies you've seen in the past? Hey, thats OK, if I can believe that Black Adder represents TRUE British and European history.
Blackadder is probably closer to reality than anything that wanders through the quagmire that passes for your mind.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 26, 2016, 10:07 AM

ABC 20/20 did this report (2001) on Clinton fundraiser Peter Paul. Hillary, sitting between Paul and Stan Lee, can be heard, on video saying
""As much as I’ve been investigated and all of that, you know, why would I —- I don’t even want -— why would I ever want to do e-mail?" Can you imagine?" she said."

I haven't seen this reran on ABC.

The full report.

ABC link What Hillary Clinton Said About Email in 2000 - ABC News
45/47

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 26, 2016, 11:43 AM

Blackadder is probably closer to reality than anything that wanders through the quagmire that passes for your mind.
Says the fool who believes people regularly get so drunk that they spontaneously decide to blow their brains out.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 26, 2016, 11:52 AM

What's most notable about Blackadder is how in the second season, Mr. Bean actually managed to be sexy.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 26, 2016, 12:01 PM

I'm not sure what this means. They're a powerful special interest group with an easily energized base who won't play nice if you cross them, but that's not owning the government.

I don't particularly like them, despite being a supporter of the second Amendment, but I don't like most special interest groups. The EFF and the ACLU are the only special interest groups who haven't managed to piss me off yet.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 26, 2016, 12:30 PM

These sorts of issues are a waste of time.

They are designed to ensure that either a Democrat or a Republican gets elected, and to galvanize the public and all of their energy around rallying around one or the other, using issues like this as inspiration. Once one person is elected, the population will go back to their normal lives, and in 4 or 8 years we'll be in the exact same place, only worse.

In the grand scheme, Hillary's email and electability based on this sole issue are relative distractions. As a population we need to be focused on the important issues relevant to the country and to each of us, and not just around election years, but constantly. I know that some of you think that this begins with getting the right person elected, and I'm not saying that this isn't important, but it is only a part of the overall picture.

This country is going nowhere until we begin to focus.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 26, 2016, 02:24 PM

It was important to at least the families of four people.
45/47

Snow-i
Professional Poster
Jun 26, 2016, 03:33 PM

You enjoy the smell of your own farts entirely too much.

Snow-i
Professional Poster
Jun 26, 2016, 03:35 PM

They are designed to ensure that either a Democrat or a Republican gets elected, and to galvanize the public and all of their energy around rallying around one or the other, using issues like this as inspiration. Once one person is elected, the population will go back to their normal lives, and in 4 or 8 years we'll be in the exact same place, only worse.

In the grand scheme, Hillary's email and electability based on this sole issue are relative distractions. As a population we need to be focused on the important issues relevant to the country and to each of us, and not just around election years, but constantly. I know that some of you think that this begins with getting the right person elected, and I'm not saying that this isn't important, but it is only a part of the overall picture.

This country is going nowhere until we begin to focus.
Suspending constitutional rights at will, without due process and in a veil of secrecy w/o oversight isn't an important issue to you?

HRC supports doing so, and just because it makes her look bad (and you by extension) is no reason to write it off as a "distraction". You see besson, we are focused. Just turns out you're on the wrong side of what that focus leads to, so now you look for ways to shift the discussion.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 26, 2016, 06:13 PM

It is an important issue, but it is monopolizing all of our attention and focus, is my point. There are many, many important issues, but this one is getting a ton of media attention because it connects nicely to horse race politics.

I'm saying that we need to resist devouring what is being fed to us and set our own political agendas. This should definitely include this issue, but the proportion of attention this has been getting in comparison to virtually anything else is extremely skewed.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 26, 2016, 06:22 PM

I'll rephrase my original point, because I can anticipate it being lost in parsing how I've said it.

The issue is getting a disproportionate amount of attention in comparison to a whole host of other important issues, and in the grand scheme the fate of Hillary here is small compared to the real core issues affecting us.

If you feel this strongly about this issue, one way to steer the conversation in a more productive direction is looking at the broader issues this exposes about transparency, money/power, technological policies, etc. instead, it is very clear that this issue is just being used to be about something that will persuade somebody to vote either a D or an R, and once the election is behind us this will disappear into obscurity, without having really resolved or concluded much of anything in the bigger picture.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 26, 2016, 06:28 PM

The other thing, if you do feel this issue is important (and I do) treating it in the same cycle and pattern as Obama and his pastor, Joe the Plumber, and similar past nonsense issues you are risking having this issue shortchanged.

If you get partisan talking heads talking about this incessantly you are just going to galvanize your partisan base, and this should be a non-partisan issue.

Snow-i
Professional Poster
Jun 26, 2016, 09:12 PM

It is an important issue, but it is monopolizing all of our attention and focus, is my point. There are many, many important issues, but this one is getting a ton of media attention because it connects nicely to horse race politics.
Or maybe because the people are focused on that issue again? HRC is corrupt - and now they have proof of it....and your suggestion is "oh just look at all the other issues...nothing to see here". lol

I'm saying that we need to resist devouring what is being fed to us and set our own political agendas.
Political Agenda #1 - do not vote a corrupt politician into even higher office. What's unreasonable about that?
This should definitely include this issue, but the proportion of attention this has been getting in comparison to virtually anything else is extremely skewed.
"Nothing to see here folks, lets look at other issues that I feel like I'm on the right side of."

Snow-i
Professional Poster
Jun 26, 2016, 09:14 PM

I'll rephrase my original point, because I can anticipate it being lost in parsing how I've said it.

The issue is getting a disproportionate amount of attention in comparison to a whole host of other important issues, and in the grand scheme the fate of Hillary here is small compared to the real core issues affecting us.
See my first post.
If you feel this strongly about this issue, one way to steer the conversation in a more productive direction is looking at the broader issues this exposes about transparency, money/power, technological policies, etc. instead, it is very clear that this issue is just being used to be about something that will persuade somebody to vote either a D or an R, and once the election is behind us this will disappear into obscurity, without having really resolved or concluded much of anything in the bigger picture.
You're the one who clicked on this thread, so you're here just to tell me how you're tired of this issue and don't want to talk about it anymore? Here's some advice, next time don't click on the thread title if it's not important to you.

And again, see my first post.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 26, 2016, 09:35 PM

Snow-i, you have a knack of really going off half-cocked and reframing the other person's argument to be totally contrary to what they actually said (or at least meant). I don't even know where to begin.

I would honestly be interested in knowing what you think my position is, in your own words.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 26, 2016, 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by Snow-i View Post
You enjoy the smell of your own farts entirely too much.
It's a Regressive Left thing.

Snow-i
Professional Poster
Jun 26, 2016, 11:20 PM

Snow-i, you have a knack of really going off half-cocked and reframing the other person's argument to be totally contrary to what they actually said (or at least meant). I don't even know where to begin.

I would honestly be interested in knowing what you think my position is, in your own words.
I think you don't like what's being said in this thread, because it hits a little too close to home and ruins the narrative that you wish oh-so-hard to be true. I think you look for ways to diminish the significance of outcomes and logic that doesn't fit your worldview, and when you fail to diminish that significance using logic & reason you shift gears and say things like "this issue isn't even what we should be talking about" and
Originally Posted by besson
If this issue is a waste of time for you, why are you here in this thread? That's a serious question, one I'd like an answer to.

I think your position is whatever it needs to be to make "your guy" or woman as it were look like the right choice & that the ends justify the means for you.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 27, 2016, 03:07 AM

30k missing emails has become the new 18.5 minutes of missing audio.
45/47

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 27, 2016, 07:29 AM

I think you don't like what's being said in this thread, because it hits a little too close to home and ruins the narrative that you wish oh-so-hard to be true. I think you look for ways to diminish the significance of outcomes and logic that doesn't fit your worldview, and when you fail to diminish that significance using logic & reason you shift gears and say things like "this issue isn't even what we should be talking about" and

If this issue is a waste of time for you, why are you here in this thread? That's a serious question, one I'd like an answer to.

I think your position is whatever it needs to be to make "your guy" or woman as it were look like the right choice & that the ends justify the means for you.

Would it surprise you if I said that you're wrong?

For starters, I'm not a Hillary fan.

Snow-i
Professional Poster
Jun 27, 2016, 07:53 PM

Would it surprise you if I said that you're wrong?

For starters, I'm not a Hillary fan.
It wouldn't surprise me at all that you "say I'm wrong". After all, it would fit your MO.

Why are you in this thread if it's "a waste a time"? I answered your question. Your turn.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 27, 2016, 11:54 PM

It wouldn't surprise me at all that you "say I'm wrong". After all, it would fit your MO.

Why are you in this thread if it's "a waste a time"? I answered your question. Your turn.
It's like the EU, when Ireland voted "wrong" on the first Lisbon referendum and they sent it back and made them do it again. He's just trying to "help" us and we're being terribly ungrateful by wasting his time. Donchaknow?

BadKosh  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 28, 2016, 11:04 AM

The Benghazi report seems to suggest Hillary is a LIAR, incompetent, and irritated that she would be questioned about her shitty judgement. In typical style, her campaign is trashing the report. Knowing that her campaign is full of liars, I don't believe any of their BS.

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Jun 28, 2016, 01:07 PM

I guess we miss a lot of the news/views/zeitgeist over here but Hillary strikes me as pretty much your Tony Blair.

And we all know how HE turned out.

Would this be a fair assessment?
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 28, 2016, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by Doc HM View Post
I guess we miss a lot of the news/views/zeitgeist over here but Hillary strikes me as pretty much your Tony Blair.

And we all know how HE turned out.

Would this be a fair assessment?
The problem is I don't know Tony Blair enough to compare.

Kinda liked what I did know of Blair, so... probably not?

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 28, 2016, 01:30 PM

Blair sure as hell seemed more charming. He's got a hell of a smile.

I'd describe Hillary as basically empty beyond the pursuit of power. This is why she's so "policyfluid".

If she becomes president, she'll have no idea what to do with it because she can't leverage it into a higher office.

Her husband is the same way, except he can (literally) charm your pants off.

Forum Links
Forum Rules