Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MBP 17" soon to purchase

MBP 17" soon to purchase
Rumor
Apr 25, 2007, 04:32 PM

That's right. Just waiting for my disbursement check to arrive before I can order it.

Here is what I am going to order.

I decided not to purchase the additional Gig of ram, for $517 extra, it just doesn't seem like a good deal. At some point, if I find I need it, I'll buy a 2g stick.

Since it seems like the HD can be exchanged, I may do that if I come across a good deal on a HD, though 160g is plenty to begin with.

After reading around, not getting Applecare would be idiotic. I also am going to insure it under a Personal Articles Policy, since it's cheap and covers it worldwide for theft etc.

A question I have is the difference between the glossy and non-glossy screen. I'll mainly use it for school, with some gaming. I play a little with Photoshop, but not much. Nor do I do any real graphics work since my major is business administration.

Is there anything else I should look out for or know about ahead of time?
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2007, 05:27 PM

Hm. I'd recommend making sure you want the wireless Mighty Mouse. Many find they don't like the Mighty Mouse in general. If you know you like it, coolio.

Applecare is a god idea for a laptop, imo.

You might want to consider a sturdier case, unless that's just to cover the laptop to put in another case.

Agreed, 2 GB and 160GB HD will be fine for now.

Personally I like the glossy screen, I think they look way sharper and the added color saturation is awesome imo.

However, if you're frequently going to be in a business setting, the glare from the lights above may drive you insane.
( Last edited by brokenjago; Apr 25, 2007 at 05:59 PM. )
Linkinus is king.

RogueSqdn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 25, 2007, 05:36 PM

I find myself wondering how you've got a price of $2599 on that..

I'll be bumping up from a CD MacBook to a MBP after they release a Santa Rosa chipset-MBP... I'm hoping for a beefier video card, if nothing else. But I don't want to buy now and then have Apple release a new MBP in a month.

I'm leaning towards the 15.4" MBP, however, and using the $300 price difference between it and the 17" to go towards AppleCare.

EDIT: Just saw the AppleCare price.... My only guess is that it's an edu discount.
Rogue
-------

MacBook Pro 2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo w/2GB DDR2 RAM & Logitech BT MX1000.
"I can feel your anger... it gives you focus, makes you stronger!" -- Emperor Palpatine, Revenge of the Sith

Rumor  (op)
Apr 25, 2007, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by brokenjago View Post
Hm. I'd recommend making sure you want the wireless Might Mouse. Many find they don't like the Might Mouse in general. If you know you like it, coolio.

Applecare is a god idea for a laptop, imo.

You might want to consider a sturdier case, unless that's just to cover the laptop to put in another case.

Agreed, 2 GB and 160GB HD will be fine for now.

Personally I like the glossy screen, I think they look way sharper and the added color saturation is awesome imo.

However, if you're frequently going to be in a business setting, the glare from the lights above may drive you insane.
I've never used a Mighty Mouse, you suggest something else?

Sounds like the case Apple has for sale isn't that good. I'll check out some cases in the sticky.

I won't be using the MBP in a business setting often. It'll mostly be used at home, the cafe or my girlfriends house for now.

Originally Posted by RogueSqdn View Post
I find myself wondering how you've got a price of $2599 on that..

I'll be bumping up from a CD MacBook to a MBP after they release a Santa Rosa chipset-MBP... I'm hoping for a beefier video card, if nothing else. But I don't want to buy now and then have Apple release a new MBP in a month.

I'm leaning towards the 15.4" MBP, however, and using the $300 price difference between it and the 17" to go towards AppleCare.

EDIT: Just saw the AppleCare price.... My only guess is that it's an edu discount.
It's an Edu discount.

Supposedly, the new chipset is to be announced May 12th. I've read that if you buy a Mac and a new revision comes out within 30 days, that you can upgrade to the new revision.

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2007, 05:58 PM

That's the Education price.

Although, why aren't you getting EDU pricing on the mighty mouse?

You can upgrade to a new revision with 10 days, not 30. That is the official policy. I've heard of Apple making exceptions up to 1 month, though.

I've heard the official Santa Rose Launch is May 8th.

As far as my preference on mice, I really like Microsoft's mice. You might want to consider picking up a bluetooth one. Or a Logitech Bluetooth Mouse. Or, you can go to an Apple store and try out the Mighty Mouse for yourself.

If you're not going to be using it where light will be a problem, then go for glossy. It's beautiful, crisp and clear.
Linkinus is king.

Rumor  (op)
Apr 25, 2007, 06:07 PM

Not sure. It doesn't seem like I get an Edu price on any of the mice.

RogueSqdn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 25, 2007, 06:08 PM

The main mouse I've used with my MB has been the BT Mighty Mouse, though since I'll be moving to a MBP and using it for gaming, I've picked up the new version of the Logitech G5 mouse with two thumb buttons. Using SteerMouse, I can program the buttons in OS X, but the +/- buttons aren't supported in SteerMouse.

The MX1000 in my sig is the BT version... I'll probably alternate between it and the G5.

The Mighty Mouse is in my opinion a bad choice for gaming, because you can't have multiple buttons pressed at the same time (think about it... a game where you have to hold the right button to zoom and click the left button to shoot).
Rogue
-------

"I can feel your anger... it gives you focus, makes you stronger!" -- Emperor Palpatine, Revenge of the Sith

Rumor  (op)
Apr 25, 2007, 06:11 PM

I can see your point. The only gaming I'll be doing is NWN 1 & 2. Maybe a couple of older RPG's. Anything that is FPS is done via a console.

RogueSqdn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 25, 2007, 06:16 PM

Sorta up my alley... my favorite game is Knights of the Old Republic (I prefer the PC over the Xbox version).
Rogue
-------

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2007, 06:16 PM

Well, it's not just gaming that a lot of people don't like. It's the shape, and the fact that the buttons are touch sensitive, and don't always work too well.

Also, the scroll ball can get dirty and is supposedly near-impossible to clean.
Linkinus is king.

ncmason
Apr 25, 2007, 06:23 PM

Before you buy your MacBook Pro, I would recommend looking at the Mac Buyer's Guide.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Apr 25, 2007, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by Rumor View Post
A non-trivial update (Santa Rosa) is imminent. Intel release date is May 8th, but some OEMs (like Lenovo) have already announced the new specs.
The chipset will bring a faster FSB (800Mhz), 4GB memory support, flash acceleration, etc and I'd expect some other upgrades all around: bigger and faster hard drive options as well as a better stock hard drive, new graphics card, maybe LED-backlit screen, HD screen, or HD optical drive.

charmdustio
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 25, 2007, 07:26 PM

I really hope they can bump the screen-res. Its a shame what they're using right now. I know for a fact that our senior developer uses a Dell (maybe an Acer) with 1920 x 1200 screen with 4GB Ram. I see no reason why Apple can't do this.

Another thing that comes to my mind that Apple could upgrade to is Blu-ray, but it really wont make a difference mainly because its awful slow at 1x and you just can't go get blank Blu-rays within a short walk.

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2007, 07:30 PM

Apple cannot do 4 GB because the chipset limits them to ~3.4GB. I agree with you on the HD screen though, it should at least be an option.
Linkinus is king.

Rumor  (op)
Apr 25, 2007, 07:51 PM

Well, it's not just gaming that a lot of people don't like. It's the shape, and the fact that the buttons are touch sensitive, and don't always work too well.

Also, the scroll ball can get dirty and is supposedly near-impossible to clean.
Hmm, perhaps I won't get a Mighty Mouse then. Sounds like a pita.

Originally Posted by ncmason View Post
Before you buy your MacBook Pro, I would recommend looking at the Mac Buyer's Guide.
Thanks, I've seen that many, many times.

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
A non-trivial update (Santa Rosa) is imminent. Intel release date is May 8th, but some OEMs (like Lenovo) have already announced the new specs.
The chipset will bring a faster FSB (800Mhz), 4GB memory support, flash acceleration, etc and I'd expect some other upgrades all around: bigger and faster hard drive options as well as a better stock hard drive, new graphics card, maybe LED-backlit screen, HD screen, or HD optical drive.
If the upgrade the Macbooks as well and put a 256mb vid card in them, then I'd probably pick up one of them instead.

RogueSqdn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 25, 2007, 07:55 PM

I wouldn't expect the MB's to get a discrete video chipset, I'd think they'll go with Intel's new GMA3000.
Rogue
-------

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2007, 08:08 PM

If the upgrade the Macbooks as well and put a 256mb vid card in them, then I'd probably pick up one of them instead.
The Amount of VRAM available does very, very little for performance.
Linkinus is king.

Rumor  (op)
Apr 25, 2007, 08:12 PM

The Amount of VRAM available does very, very little for performance.
256mb dedicated vram is much better that 64mb shared, is it not?

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2007, 08:26 PM

Absolutely. But unless you're gaming, it doesn't make a huge difference, other than, of course, freeing up that 64MB for OS X to use.

Besides, I'd be willing to bet my Mac Pro that Apple will not give the MacBook 256MB of dedicated VRAM.
Linkinus is king.

Rumor  (op)
Apr 25, 2007, 08:38 PM

Absolutely. But unless you're gaming, it doesn't make a huge difference, other than, of course, freeing up that 64MB for OS X to use.

Besides, I'd be willing to bet my Mac Pro that Apple will not give the MacBook 256MB of dedicated VRAM.
It's nice to hope, isn't it?

mduell
Posting Junkie
Apr 25, 2007, 08:43 PM

IIRC the new GMA (3000/X3000) supports 384MB VRAM, but of course it's shared from the main memory pool.

VRAM quantity has little to do with performance; VRAM speed and GPU speed are much more important.

OreoCookie
Apr 26, 2007, 01:50 PM

256mb dedicated vram is much better that 64mb shared, is it not?
Yes, but … the question is whether you need it. My best friend has moved from a loaded 15" ProBook to a MacBook (he chose to, he got the ProBook for free). If you aren't into 3d games, FCPro, Aperture and the likes, a MacBook (or rather: the graphics card) will be plenty. The amount is not very important, even a MacBook can drive a 23" HD Cinema Display (I've seen it, works just fine) …

One thing, I would definitely get is AppleCare, it's a must for portable computers (be it Apple or any other manufacturer).
( Last edited by OreoCookie; Apr 26, 2007 at 01:57 PM. )
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

badnewsblair
Senior User
Apr 26, 2007, 02:42 PM

I would like to throw in my two cents about the Mighty Mouse. The ball wears out for some reason. It has happened with all of my work computers and several of my friends have experienced the same issue. You can also accidentally trigger a right click if you have both fingers on the mouse at the same time. You literally have to pick up one of your fingers.

Might I recommend a Logitech BlueTooth mouse or even a :gasp: Microsoft BlueTooth mouse. Either are honestly vastly superior to the Mighty Mouse for normal wear and tear and general ergonomics (granted, they don't look as cool and stream lined as the MM).
[ 15 inch Macbook Pro 2.8 GHz Core 2 Duo ][ 20 inch Intel iMac 2 GB RAM / 256 MB ATI XT 1600 ][ iPhone OG (3GS on Reservation)][ White iPod 5th Gen. 60GB ]

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Apr 26, 2007, 09:16 PM

Existing 17" C2D MBPs are excellent boxes (I own one) but personally I would wait to see what May/June brings, then buy.

With new Mac purchases IMO we should be looking forward at the life of the box (2007/2008/2009+) rather than at the past as many folks above suggest. Unless you intend only low level apps like Office and Safari, graphics support will almost assuredly matter in the 2007/2008/2009+ time frame.

IMO Applecare is poor value. It does not cover year one, which is when 90% of issues occur and warranted for free; it does not cover physical damage; it does not cover loss/theft. And, for many of the hardware things that might happen (e.g. hard drive) one is better off simply replacing with the technology of 2-3 years from now anyway.

-Allen Wicks

solofx7
Mac Elite
Apr 27, 2007, 12:28 PM

That's right. Just waiting for my disbursement check to arrive before I can order it.

Here is what I am going to order.

I decided not to purchase the additional Gig of ram, for $517 extra, it just doesn't seem like a good deal. At some point, if I find I need it, I'll buy a 2g stick.

Since it seems like the HD can be exchanged, I may do that if I come across a good deal on a HD, though 160g is plenty to begin with.

After reading around, not getting Applecare would be idiotic. I also am going to insure it under a Personal Articles Policy, since it's cheap and covers it worldwide for theft etc.

A question I have is the difference between the glossy and non-glossy screen. I'll mainly use it for school, with some gaming. I play a little with Photoshop, but not much. Nor do I do any real graphics work since my major is business administration.

go glossy, things look better...
the 2 gig ram stick is too pricey if you asked me.
shop around for a good BT mouse unless you are ok with the Apple one.
I personally like the Radtech BT mouse.
it took me a while to find that one.
please get Apple care no matter what anyone says, things happen.
if you rent a house or apartment, get renters insurance and cover it there too.
unless you are cheap, you can never have too much insurance.
i am not sure if any of the upcoming changes will be worth the wait.
they may, but i do not see that.
with computers you can always wait for some change.

majordude
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 27, 2007, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by solofx7 View Post
go glossy, things look better...
I have a MBP 17" and almost bought glossy... then I saw the glossy and matte side by side at an Apple store. YMMV but I didn't like seeing my refection and the reflection of the room (and fingerprints) on the glossy screen. Plus, to me, the matte looked brighter and sharper. I strongly suggest looking at both before you order.

the 2 gig ram stick is too pricey if you asked me.
Apple's memory pricing is INSANE. Buy aftermarket.

i am not sure if any of the upcoming changes will be worth the wait.
Well, I have a feeling the new machines will be out in a week or two. MacMall started discounting their existing models a few days ago so they must have received word to dump them quickly.
 17-inch MacBook Pro with 2.33GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM and fast 7200 100GB HD
"Any major dude with half a heart surely will tell you my friend..." — Steely Dan

Rumor  (op)
Apr 27, 2007, 03:15 PM

Thanks for all of the advice.

The new revisions should be coming out in a couple of weeks, which works for me since I still do not have my disbursement check.

Solofx7, in my post you quoted, I mentioned something called a personal articles policy. Much better for specific items than a renters policy, since a PAP is an all risk policy.

solofx7
Mac Elite
May 1, 2007, 12:37 PM

Thanks for all of the advice.

The new revisions should be coming out in a couple of weeks, which works for me since I still do not have my disbursement check.

Solofx7, in my post you quoted, I mentioned something called a personal articles policy. Much better for specific items than a renters policy, since a PAP is an all risk policy.
great info thanks.
if the changes are big enough i may sell my macbook pro, but i doubt it.

shabbasuraj
Mac Elite
May 2, 2007, 03:13 PM

Get a Kensington mouse.
blabba5555555555555555555555555555555555555

RogueSqdn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 2, 2007, 03:51 PM

Here's the best bit of mouse advice you'll ever hear... you ready?

Try them out at a store where you can actually get your hands on them. Different mice have different comfort levels for everyone.
Rogue
-------

Clive
Mac Enthusiast
May 2, 2007, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by SierraDragon View Post
With new Mac purchases IMO we should be looking forward at the life of the box (2007/2008/2009+) rather than at the past as many folks above suggest. Unless you intend only low level apps like Office and Safari, graphics support will almost assuredly matter in the 2007/2008/2009+ time frame.
I think that's a bit of a weird way of looking at things, unless you expect Office and Safari to *require* high-end graphics cards within the next couple of years (seems unlikely to me). It's realistic to look at past performance - is a four year old PowerBook or PowerMac still usable today: yes. Therefore it's reasonable to expect that a machine bought today will still be usable in four year's time.

IMO Applecare is poor value. It does not cover year one, which is when 90% of issues occur and warranted for free; it does not cover physical damage; it does not cover loss/theft. And, for many of the hardware things that might happen (e.g. hard drive) one is better off simply replacing with the technology of 2-3 years from now anyway.
I'd generally agree with this, except I have heard of people getting exceptional deals on AppleCare (like GBP:60.00 for the three year cover).

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
May 2, 2007, 08:52 PM

[QUOTE=Clive;3371315]I think that's a bit of a weird way of looking at things, unless you expect Office and Safari to *require* high-end graphics cards within the next couple of years (seems unlikely to me). It's realistic to look at past performance - is a four year old PowerBook or PowerMac still usable today: yes. Therefore it's reasonable to expect that a machine bought today will still be usable in four year's time.

Perhaps my words were misunderstood. They mean to say that lesser apps like Office and Safari do not and probably will not take advantage of advanced GPUs, but many other apps and for sure the OS will make good use of advanced GPUs over the life of any new box.

Interesting that attempting to match future hardware (any new box is future hardware by definition) to future OS and apps needs can be considered "weird." What I consider silly is assuming that any machine bought today is per se usable 4 years from now just because it happened in the past. Just ask anyone trying to run Aperture on a stock Quad G5 purchased a few months ago!

It takes some forethought - meaning thinking about the life cycle of the box, apps and OSs - to optimally configure a new computer purchase.

-Allen Wicks

PER3
Dedicated MacNNer
May 5, 2007, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by badnewsblair View Post
I would like to throw in my two cents about the Mighty Mouse. The ball wears out for some reason. It has happened with all of my work computers and several of my friends have experienced the same issue.
You have to crack it open, clean the rollers, and glue it back together. It's a bit fussy, but it brings it back to life. I did mine after about ten months. You can google for instructions and photos.

ajprice
Professional Poster
May 5, 2007, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by PER3 View Post
You have to crack it open, clean the rollers, and glue it back together. It's a bit fussy, but it brings it back to life. I did mine after about ten months. You can google for instructions and photos.
Or save yourself some bother and don't get a Mighty Mouse (my preference is a Logitech MX series mouse)

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Rumor  (op)
May 11, 2007, 04:04 PM

Two more questions:

There will be times I will be using it extensively under load while at home, is there some kind of cooling or fan pad available?

As for a case go, any recommendations for one that is fairly resiliant? I'm hoping to have my motorcycle ready in two or three months, and if I lay the bike down at a low speed (most likely it would happen due to another driver and traffic), I'd like not worry entirely too much.

voicebox
Dedicated MacNNer
May 17, 2007, 10:52 AM

Two more questions:

There will be times I will be using it extensively under load while at home, is there some kind of cooling or fan pad available?

As for a case go, any recommendations for one that is fairly resiliant? I'm hoping to have my motorcycle ready in two or three months, and if I lay the bike down at a low speed (most likely it would happen due to another driver and traffic), I'd like not worry entirely too much.
What you need maybe is the Antec Notebook Cooler - go here: www.antec.com/uk/productDetails.php?ProdID=75004
I have one and it does the job of cooling my 15" PB perfectly!
voicebox
PS: the link is for the UK, but I am sure it can be bought via Antec's US link.

Forum Links
Forum Rules