Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > Quicken 2015 for Mac brings new features, strips others

Quicken 2015 for Mac brings new features, strips others
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Aug 21, 2014, 10:07 AM

Intuit has officially released Quicken 2015 for Mac, a long-awaited update of its personal finance software. Some improvements include a new UI design, matched to OS X Yosemite, and support for syncing data with a companion iOS app, which can also be used to snap photos of receipts to record purchases. New investment tools update quotes continuously, and track factors like cost basis and capital gains.

Some features have actually been stripped, however. These include direct bill payment, 12-month budgets, and loan amortization display. Intuit has also yet to carry over a number of features from Windows, such as more sophisticated investment functions, but Intuit is letting people vote on what to add next in a planned series of free updates.

Quicken 2015 costs $80. The iOS app is a free download, and requires iOS 7.

( Last edited by NewsPoster; Aug 26, 2014 at 04:29 AM. )

coffeetime
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 21, 2014, 11:21 AM

Wow. It's about time. It doesn't say whether it has built-in calendar or not. The iCal integration from iBank is totally useless.

dochsieh
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 21, 2014, 11:41 AM

Taking out direct bill payment is a big step BACKWARDS.

bobolicious
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 21, 2014, 11:42 AM

Does this company read the online reviews?

Feature parity & direct file exchange with PC, non-proprietary csv bank downloads, import, export & field mapping, VAT capability for those that need it & a home & business option might increase the most basic functionality & user appeal...

http://quicken.intuit.com/personal-f...l-business.jsp
http://quicken.intuit.ca/personal-fi...d-business.jsp

Inkling
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 21, 2014, 01:30 PM

Given the intolerably long delay and the fact that I've weaned myself from such products, Intuit can go take a hike on this one. Seven years and $80 is too long and too much.
Author of Untangling Tolkien and Chesterton on War and Peace

carloblackmore
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 21, 2014, 02:42 PM

Even worse is... anyone who uses Mint.com, which Intuit acquired several years ago, will recognize this UI. It's literally the same exact platform just pasted into Quicken.

Le Flaneur
Senior User
Aug 21, 2014, 11:55 PM

@carloblackmore Wrong, this is an updated Quicken Essentials for Mac UI
@dochsieh Intuit didn't take out direct bill payment -- they just haven't added it yet.

Le Flaneur
Senior User
Aug 21, 2014, 11:56 PM

@coffeetime Yes, it's about time, and it's a great sign. No, there isn't yet a built-in calendar. Q2015 for Mac is a work in progress, with much promised for the future. But this is the financial management program which I'd bet my money on. The competition has had many years to come up with a completely viable alternative, and they have failed miserably.

webraider
Forum Regular
Aug 23, 2014, 01:56 AM

@ Le Flaneur. I agree with you about betting money. I've been tracking the progress of this since new management in the Mac department has come (about 2 years now). They have been very transparent on their blogs about how lacking Quicken Essentials was and how this has developed since then. They have been very transparent as well with that this would not have all the features yet that people would want.

They tackled two of the hardest feature request one of which was syncing with the Mobile apps. Now they are finally in a position to start adding requests which they are NOW taking. I would give it another two years to have pretty much most of the features of the windows side (based on request). This is based on the last 2 years of development that I've seen from Quicken. Everything they've said in the last two years with new management has been exactly what they said. I am glad this product is here. If nothing else the competition is good.

For those complaining about this looking like Mint. then so does the windows the version and so does Ibank. What's wrong with the looks of Mint? It's just a register as is this. There's only so many ways you can make a register look. Why re-invent the wheel?

If you're going to complain about lack of features but haven't gone to the website to vote/ask for features than stop complaining, and use something else. If you want a feature than go request it and vote for the items you want. The more people who vote for something determines how fast they can add features in.

Bill pay will come if only so Quicken can make money off the subscription service. I personally don't need it as Chase offers bill pay through their websites and more banks do this now. A yearly budget is already slated to come but voting for it doesn't hurt. I wouldn't be surprised if more investment features show up too in new releases.

pastusza
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 24, 2014, 06:56 PM

There are lots of alternatives out there you should be looking at:

Moneydance - www.moneydance.com
See Finance - http://scimonocesoftware.com/seefinance/
iBank - http://www.iggsoftware.com/ibank/

I'm pretty sure all 3 of these do online bill pay, have a calendar view, and many of the other features that are missing from the Mac version of Quicken.
Andy Pastuszak
amp68(spammenot)-at-verizon.net

coffeetime
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 26, 2014, 09:27 AM

I have been using iBank ever since Quicken 2007 stops working under new OS. iBank desktop and iBank app are awesome pair. It doesn't have built-in calendar. It uses Apple iCal for the calendar part. It's OK. I prefer total integration like Quicken 2007.

pairof9s
Senior User
Aug 28, 2014, 09:33 AM

My use of Quicken 2015 for the last 4 days has been a mixed bag, as would be expected considering the omissions Intiut admits up front. (FYI, Intuit provides a 30-day money-back guarantee on buying Q2015, so give it a try...I did this w/ Q Essentials and returned it hassle-free after 2 weeks.)

The problems, nonetheless, are significant in my opinion:
1. The lack of amortization in loans is puzzling since that's such a critical element.

2. There are bugs w/ financial institutions (e.g. - my 529 fund brokerage can be set up as a Savings account but not as a 529 account w/in Q2015!).

3. The calendar & scheduling feature (or lack thereof) is really a burden in managing your automated transactions.

4. The mobile sync is a great blessing and an "it's about time!", but it's very rudimentary in functionality and has multiple bugs such as sync accuracy. Overall, Moneywell and iBank's mobile offerings have far superior UI.

5. Setup & integration of competitive financial data is severely lacking. It's quite arrogant of Intuit to presume Mac users to only have data originating from Quicken Ess. or Quicken 2007 for importing after 8 years of no development. Simply put, Intuit, you want people to buy this, then accommodate other data such as QIF or CSV from competitive products.

6. Bill paying is not a feature I use (yet), but I can see how that is a major omission for many, especially from the so-called leader in personal finance software.

Overall, especially when you account for costs of mobile apps (Quicken = $0, iBank = $25), Quicken 2015 is not that expensive. It has 80% of what most people need in a money application. However even with assurances of future features and an ability to provide feedback as such (which I've done extensively), there is no reason to purchase Quicken now...6-12 months ahead may provide a much more comprehensive and stable financial solution.

Unless that is you don't think Intuit will actively update Quicken 2015!

Forum Links
Forum Rules