Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > Apple, U2 collaborating on 'new digital music format'

Apple, U2 collaborating on 'new digital music format'
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Sep 18, 2014, 10:02 AM

Irish band U2 is collaborating with Apple on a "new digital music format" designed to entice people into buying more recorded music, according to Time. The band claims that the point isn't just to help its own sales, but artists that can't make money from live performances. "Songwriters aren't touring people," says frontman Bono. "Cole Porter wouldn't have sold t-shirts. Cole Porter wasn't coming to a stadium near you."

Beyond this, there's little indication of what the format might offer. Apple has itself tried to spice up digital music with features like iTunes LP -- which includes elements like videos, photos, and lyrics -- but that has not contributed in any great way to sales, which have still been skewing towards subscription services like Spotify and Pandora.

The Time report does elaborate on what U2's manager hinted at last Friday when he said the band was collaborating with Apple on future projects because they want people to "engage with albums, they want them to support the art form of artwork and lyrics and video content, and just get into their music in a much different way than an MP3 file." That could imply something like iTunes LP, but possibly updated to better exploit modern Apple platforms.

The magazine separately notes that U2's Songs of Innocence album -- given away for free since September 9 -- has been "accessed" by 38 million people on iTunes, whether downloaded or streamed.
( Last edited by NewsPoster; Sep 19, 2014 at 06:12 AM. )

Mr. Strat
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 18, 2014, 10:37 AM

Will it suck as much as their music? Will we have to look at Boner's picture with his pretentious glasses all the time?

just a poster
Forum Regular
Sep 18, 2014, 11:24 AM

Digital music, including CDs, sounds grating to my ears. I can always hear the square wave and the clipping, add to that the high compression from the loudness wars and this is why I've purchased maybe 20 albums in as many years. The stuff isn't even worth downloading illegally.

This doesn't sound like a new music format like Neil Young is working on, it sounds like a new layout for Itunes music store that maybe does relevancy matching with songwriters.

Every music format in my lifetime has been about convenience and money instead of sound quality. From records, to 8tracks (before my time, sort of), to tape, to CD, now to digital. Why pay money to get a headache? Worse, this digital crapola is now taking over in live concerts too.

Inkling
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 18, 2014, 11:25 AM

Sadly, yet another indication that all too many in the upper echelons of Apple have made music into something it is not and can never be—a religion. In the end, music formats are like ebook formats. They don't alter the central issue, which is the amount of time we have to listen or to read. That time can't be altered in any significant way. Listening to one song means we're not listening to another. Reading one book means we're not reading another.
Author of Untangling Tolkien and Chesterton on War and Peace

Think 4D
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 18, 2014, 03:39 PM

For those of you complaining, I'm not sure what the problem. Isn't it a good thing that artists are trying to figure out how to use technology to deliver their message?

pastusza
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 18, 2014, 03:54 PM

Neil Young is not working on a new music format. He's just making "high definition" FLACs available. People claim they hear a difference, but I'd like to hear it in the real world.
Andy Pastuszak
amp68(spammenot)-at-verizon.net

Forum Links
Forum Rules