Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > HBO Now confirmed alongside Apple TV price cut to $69

HBO Now confirmed alongside Apple TV price cut to $69
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Mar 9, 2015, 01:30 PM

HBO has unveiled its new streaming service during Apple's Spring Forward Event, one rumored for a long time but resurfacing just last week. The exclusive service, launching soon, will be accompanied by a price cut for the Apple TV, with the streaming set-top box being cut from its $99 price down to a more-affordable $69.

HBO CEO Richard Plepler advised the service will provide subscribers with access to the entire TV and movie catalog from the cable channel, along with live streams for new shows as they are broadcast. While HBO GO requires users to have a cable TV package that includes HBO, HBO Now will be open to anyone, making it potentially attractive to cord cutters.

Launching in time for the premiere of the next season of Game of Thrones next month, HBO Now will cost $15 per month, with customers signing up in April getting their first month free. Apple will be an exclusive launch partner, with HBO Now being made available on Apple TV, iPhones, and iPads only.
( Last edited by NewsPoster; Mar 9, 2015 at 03:20 PM. )

jwdsail
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 9, 2015, 02:48 PM

This news was the most exciting news from the "watch" event. HBO Now for $15/mo, AppleTV costs less today ($69) than the factory refurb did ($79) just a few days ago..

Charles Martin
Mac Elite
Mar 9, 2015, 04:45 PM

Different strokes for different folks, I guess. I still think BBC Global iPlayer for $80/year is a better deal, and the MacBook intro was very exciting. The app demo on the Apple Watch was nothing short of amazing -- this thing is far more complete and mature than I'd expected.
Charles Martin
MacNN Editor

pastusza
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 9, 2015, 11:31 PM

Now if only they would update the AppleTV to make it faster and give it an app store. Until I can get Plex on it, I'm not interested.
Andy Pastuszak
amp68(spammenot)-at-verizon.net

pairof9s
Senior User
Mar 10, 2015, 09:15 AM

I'm with jwdsail...this is a step in the right direction for Apple TV. It can be the solution that cable cutters need, but only if Apple continues to add these "no cable required" channels. It would seem like the next to fall would be the tightly aligned Disney-ABC-ESPN group. If Sling TV has them in this manner, it means that these guys are open to the option.

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Mar 10, 2015, 09:24 AM

Out in the non-apple sphere, this move by HBO and Apple is riling up the masses. That said, it's not just the Apple TV that can do this, Apple's entire hardware ecosystem will be able to use the HBO sub.

Forum Links
Forum Rules