Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Experience with SMC 7004ABR router & print server

Experience with SMC 7004ABR router & print server
D'Espice
Mac Elite
Nov 12, 2004, 11:58 PM

Hi,

Is anybody in here using this router & print server to connect his parallel printer to a Mac? I'm looking for ways to use a LaserJet 6MP (PostScript 2) with my iBook and vmarks suggested that unit. Anybody using it? I wanna play it safe this time since I'm running out of cash.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one
pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid across the line broadside,
thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!"

Macola
Mac Elite
Nov 13, 2004, 12:22 AM

I used the 7004AWBR which is very similar. The router died after about 2.5 years of continuous operation (I guess that's average), but it had worked well with a Brother MFC (parallel port) that I used with Gimp-Print. I was able to print wirelessly and from wired Macs (all OS X).

Edit: I'm now using a separate print server (D-Link) that has two parallel and USB ports. I tried for a while to find a replacement for the SMC router/print server combo but ultimately found that getting separate units was a better deal, at least, when buying new.
( Last edited by Macola; Nov 13, 2004 at 12:27 AM. )
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

D'Espice  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 13, 2004, 12:25 AM

Yeah I saw that but it's twice as expensive Plus I already have a WLAN ADSL Router, I was planning on using that for my wireless access and simply connecting the SMC Router to one of the WLAN Router's LAN-ports. Would that work?
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one

Macola
Mac Elite
Nov 13, 2004, 12:29 AM

If you already have a router, then definitely go for a stand-alone print server. Mine is the D-Link DP-300U, but you can find cheaper models.
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

D'Espice  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 13, 2004, 08:24 AM

Will any print server work? Say I get some noname print server (I probably won't cause I hate buying NoName stuff) on eBay, will every single print server work?

iPoder
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 13, 2004, 08:43 AM

I use SMC 2804WBRP-G wireless router with USB print server. Frankly, I am not quite impressed with the driver.

I don't have any printing issue, but my wireless function works irregularly. Sometimes, the signal disappear a few seconds, sometimes I cannot connect to Internet unless I reboot the router.

This may not relate to the quality of the router you ask about. But quality of the driver coding usually is across-the-board issue in the company.

I previously had Linksys router, which I never had such issue.

D'Espice  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 18, 2004, 06:57 PM

YEAH! The router came today, hooked it up, did some googling to figure out how to set it up and it's printing now! Wireless printing rules

Forum Links
Forum Rules