Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > core duo mini + sony 50" sxrd hdtv issues + bonjour issues

core duo mini + sony 50" sxrd hdtv issues + bonjour issues
Berman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 25, 2006, 11:53 PM

ok. i bought a core duo mini to hook up to my 50" sony sxrd hdtv. there are some issues.

i have the mini hooked up to the tv using a dvi to hdmi cable, ordered right from apple. the problem is that even though i set the mini's resolution to max (1080i) and even though the tv recognizes it as a 1080i input, the damn picture does NOT take up the entire screen. it takes up maybe 14/16th of the tv, with blank areas being on the top and right. if i use the 'overscan' option on the mac, or on the tv, the bottom of the dock and the menu bar up top get cut off, but the display takes up the entire screen at least. switching the resolution on the mini to 720p makes zero difference, it does not take up the full screen.

the tv displays a full screen when i use a 1080i input from my cable box, or a 720p input from my xbox 360.

this sucks. i bought the mini because i have an imac, an ibook, ipods, airport express, etc. but if i can't fix this **** i'll have to return this and get :barf: an xp media center machine.

ok, next question. isn't there some software on the mini - "bonjour" - that is supposed to pull the music from my imac's itunes library and let me play it on the mini through front row? yeah, nothing comes up when i try front row. what gives? (i'm quite sure i'm just not setting something up that i need to here, i just don't know what i've got to do).

help anybody? this is literally the first time i've had a damn issue with any of my mac's.

DavidHossack
Forum Regular
May 29, 2006, 09:53 AM

Do you have sharing enabled on your iMac's music Library?

On your iMac go to Preferences > Sharing to check.

The TV thing... Maybe it is not the mac and is the TV. Does it have a VGA Connection to try too. A XPMCE might not be better... My MacMini works perfectly with my LG 26" LCD tv. This has a DVI connection specifically for computers...
David.

Mister Elf
Mac Enthusiast
May 29, 2006, 10:05 AM

TVs can have weird-ass resolutions...

Read the manual, find out what your TV's native HDMI-in resolution is, and use switchresX to use that resolution on the mini.
Midshipman 3/C, USNR

uicandrew
Senior User
May 29, 2006, 10:39 AM

by the same token as what davidhossack was saying, did you enable "search for shared music" on the mac mini?

good luck. it sounds like one really nice setup!
Mac User since Summer 2005 (started with G4 mini bought from macnn forums!)

hickey
Mac Elite
May 29, 2006, 11:31 AM

once you get this all sorted out, make sure to post some pics of this awesome setup.

cornwallstone
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 29, 2006, 01:40 PM

I can't help you except to point to a couple of threads indicating you aren't alone...

New mac mini -> hdmi 1080i to sxrd

Official 2005 Sony KDSR-50/60XBR1 SXRD Owner's Thread

The above link is 386 pages of posts... you might want to search within that thread for HTPC or Mini

Forum Links
Forum Rules