Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > iMac, how fast should it be?

iMac, how fast should it be?
Dark_Lotus
Forum Regular
Aug 30, 2006, 08:34 AM

I just got my 20" 2ghz iMac with a gig of ram and 256MB vRam, sometimes when I have more than a few apps open iTunes skips ever other other other song. No big deal just bothers me a little bit, is it just because other things start working hard in the background?

stefanicotine
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 30, 2006, 10:55 AM

Not likely, what apps do you run?
 Certified AppleCare Technician

selowitch
Mac Elite
Aug 30, 2006, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by Dark_Lotus
I just got my 20" 2ghz iMac with a gig of ram and 256MB vRam, sometimes when I have more than a few apps open iTunes skips ever other other other song. No big deal just bothers me a little bit, is it just because other things start working hard in the background?
It sounds like some kind of software conflict to me. Perhaps you should report a possible bug to Apple, assuming you can reproduce it consistently.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Aug 30, 2006, 11:38 AM

iTunes should very rarely skip. There is a problem with your system. Take a look at Activity Monitor to see if any program is going crazy.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Dark_Lotus  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 30, 2006, 04:35 PM

Well, it hasnt done it for a while, maybe it was just because I was running auto update.

parsec_kadets
Senior User
Aug 30, 2006, 07:24 PM

It could be that another app was hitting the hard drive pretty hard. Auto update does tend to do that when it's installing and optimizing.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 30, 2006, 08:12 PM

Would "auto update" be the Office Auto Update? That'll be PowerPC and RAM hungry. I'll frequently get a SBOD on my ancient PowerMac G3 but iTunes doesn't skip a beat.

Dark_Lotus  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 31, 2006, 05:06 PM

Ok, I have iStat Pro in Dashboard and the idle keeps going up and down, first it will be 98% then it will be 40% the next second. iTunes still skips ocassionally...really annoying even though it barely happens.

EDIT: ok maybe it was just iStat Pro, because I looked at the activity monitor and it said the Idle was 98% while running itunes and safari. I think i figured out why itunes was skippng, I had dashboard open and i changed the song in itunes and as soon as my lyrics widget updated, itunes skipped. So I just deleted the widget and now it hasnt since..
( Last edited by Dark_Lotus; Aug 31, 2006 at 05:13 PM. )

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 31, 2006, 05:14 PM

Is iStat pro Universal? I'd make sure none of your widgets are causing problems, how many PPC apps are you using?

Forum Links
Forum Rules