Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > What is "SC Info" and how do I get rid of it ?

What is "SC Info" and how do I get rid of it ?
Visualize
Forum Regular
Mar 26, 2007, 11:16 AM

For some time now I have in my ./Users/Shared/ a folder with some files in it called "SC Info"

Each time I repair permissions Disk Utility tells me that the folder does not exist. And does not repair permissions on it. But it appears as a hidden folder in the exact same above mentioned folder.

I can delete it alright but it will soon appear back again. Usually after a reboot.

What is it and how do I get rid of it so that it does not pester my permissions list.

BTW. the SC Info folder consists of two files with nothing but garbled text.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Mar 26, 2007, 11:41 AM

Google seems to reveal SC Info to be where iTunes stores its authorization info and whatnot, so if you buy any music from the iTunes Store, you probably won't want to delete it.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Hal Itosis
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 26, 2007, 12:24 PM

That is an old (since 10.4.0) but hilarious bug.
Perhaps you should delete Disk Utility instead.
-HI-

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Mar 26, 2007, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by Hal Itosis View Post
Perhaps you should delete Disk Utility instead.
Well needless to say, I don't recommend that. My advice would be more along the lines of relax, don't worry about it. It's not very important in the grand scheme of things.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Visualize  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 26, 2007, 03:14 PM

Okay, thanks guys.. I've delete it a couple of times now. I ddin't know that all my request for authorization in iTunes was related to this. Good to know that there is nothing to worry about. I thought it was a keylogger or something because Disk Utility couldn't repair the permissions on the folder.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Mar 26, 2007, 03:23 PM

I love how Apple has all these guidelines for where things such as application support files are supposed to go — then proceeds to put stuff wherever.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Forum Links
Forum Rules