Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Cutting off ADC Tab from AGP card

Cutting off ADC Tab from AGP card
VideoBeagle
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 17, 2011, 03:40 PM

The video card (AGP) in my Powermac G5 is dying (as far as I can determine, the Vram is fritzing out). the original card died last summer, this is a replacement (ATI 9700 I got off ebay and flashed the rom).

At the time, someone on another forum sent me an AGP card from a G4 they didn't need.

Sadly, it wouldn't fit in my G5 because of a weird tab (circled in pic below). Otherwise, it's got the same configuration as the card I currently have in the G5.

I have learned that this tab is the ADC tab, which i guess gives the ADC port power for ADC monitors.

This thread: http://forums.macnn.com/65/mac-pro-a...eforce4-agp8x/ implies that the tab could be cut off.

The card has a VGA and an ADC connector..ideally I'd use an ADC->DVI adapter on it.

So my question is, Could the tab be cut off and the card still work and not melt my computer?

http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/33/carddq.jpg

VideoBeagle  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 17, 2011, 03:41 PM

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Feb 17, 2011, 04:08 PM

The G5 should support ADC cards, mind did.

http://mypocket.com/9800/images/install/install05.jpg

Shows the special socket just after the AGP slot.

VideoBeagle  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 17, 2011, 04:11 PM

Not with that tab...it doesn't fit.

ChrisF
Senior User
Feb 17, 2011, 07:47 PM

Yeah, the G4 and G5 ADC slots are different and some video cards are actually powered by the ADC slot. What card is it?

VideoBeagle  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 18, 2011, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by ChrisF View Post
Yeah, the G4 and G5 ADC slots are different and some video cards are actually powered by the ADC slot. What card is it?
It's a Nvdia something out of a Quicksilver, I believe.

reader50
Administrator
Feb 18, 2011, 09:49 PM

You can cut the tab off - the card will not supply power to the ADC port, but the data signal will be present. So you could adapt the ADC port to DVI.

Your G5 has AGP 8x, this might be a problem if the video card is a 2x/4x card. If the card is still incompatible, I don't think it will damage your G5 - it just won't work.

I'd say go ahead and cut the tab off. Worst case - you've ruined a video card worth $5 today.

Forum Links
Forum Rules