Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Broken key

Broken key
ibookuser2
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 25, 2002, 09:17 PM

I broke the return key off of my iBook SE KeyLime today. The little plastic clips at the top on the back broke off, so it won't stick back on. Where is a good place to get just a single key?

dragonbong
Forum Regular
Feb 25, 2002, 09:45 PM

As service parts for apple, my store doens't even have single keys. Apple apparently will give a new keyboard for free if under apple care. Don't remember exact year keylime se was out. So i guess your best bet we be to get it off of a out of commission ibook or something.

vvedge
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 25, 2002, 09:45 PM

Originally posted by ibookuser2:
<STRONG>I broke the return key off of my iBook SE KeyLime today. The little plastic clips at the top on the back broke off, so it won't stick back on. Where is a good place to get just a single key?</STRONG>
As bad or illegal as it may sound... walk into a computer store and snatch one off a display model....

Well, if they have a Keylime iBook around (probably still being sold at 1499 or something), it deserves to take a little abuse

ok ok ok, I'm promoting shoplifting here... but a "friend" of mine who walked into a CompUSA and just took a Powerbook G key that was just laying around.
--whats this button do?

Goodbye koobi
... we had fun, but Apple Repair and the years have not been kind to you... godspeed...

ibookuser2  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 25, 2002, 11:55 PM

Hehe, I considered that, but unfortunately I live in a small town and there aren't any stores nearby that sell macs

and my computer is out of AppleCare... how much do full keyboards cost? Also, I found digitalhipps.com, are they fairly reputable? I might settle for a fun colored replacement set...

vvedge
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 26, 2002, 12:02 AM

Originally posted by ibookuser2:
<STRONG>how much do full keyboards cost? Also, I found digitalhipps.com, are they fairly reputable? I might settle for a fun colored replacement set...</STRONG>
Ok, some advice that doesn't involve a crime... unless you're willing to pay these prices
http://www.pbparts.com/

Yours would be under Original iBook Case Parts... 149 bucks!

but I think they sell keys, check..

[ 02-25-2002: Message edited by: vvedge ]
--whats this button do?

Goodbye koobi
... we had fun, but Apple Repair and the years have not been kind to you... godspeed...

ibookuser2  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 26, 2002, 12:44 AM

Thanks. I'm going to try putting an epoxy blob over where the clippy thing used to be, and dremel it down, but I have no idea how well that will hold up... doesn't hurt to try, though. If that doesn't work I'll order one from PBParts, they're only 10 bucks...

I also have access to equipment to cast aluminum, an aluminum return key might look pretty cool... not to mention how well it would hold up...

I also know someone with some CNC equipment that could turn one out if I could make a DXF file of the thing... my autocad skills aren't that precise, though

Forum Links
Forum Rules