Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Thunderbolt Hub?

Thunderbolt Hub?
Salty
Professional Poster
Mar 1, 2011, 01:22 AM

So the question is how long before a Thunderbolt hub gets made? When it does how much do you think they'll cost? I'd love to see one with Two HDMI outs, a plethora of USB outs, maybe even an ESATA out, and of course a couple more Thunderbolt ports.

This would be great, especially if they built in a MagSafe adapter. Imagine only having to plug in two cables to your laptop (To be honest I wonder if Thunderbolt could be combined with MagSafe.)

PhilCat
Mar 1, 2011, 03:53 AM

After reviewing Thunderbolt it pretty much makes the current ports on a laptop obsolete.
So yes, a TB hub would streamline that layout of cables for all the options on the desk.
Cost may not be a factor, based on the options.
Start out as docking sync charger, include ports for printers, current drives, card reader, etc.

The cinema display is a spoiler with it's built in ports.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Mar 1, 2011, 11:16 PM

Any Apple branded thunderbolt hub won't be less then $69. If it does exist I only expect 1 HDMI, 1 Minidisplay Port, 2 USB, 1 Firewire 800, and 2 thunderbolt ports. Since the original port only carries 10 watts I'm not sure it will ever have an apple branded hub since it would look ugly with an AC adapter.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Mar 2, 2011, 12:36 AM

Sure, an Apple-branded hub would be expensive. However, something like a Monoprice-branded one could prove quite compelling.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Mar 2, 2011, 12:46 AM

I hope to see some thunderbolt devices before I'm going to start thinking about thunderbolt hubs.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Mar 2, 2011, 01:08 AM

A Thunderbolt hub is a Thunderbolt device.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

shabbasuraj
Mac Elite
Mar 2, 2011, 01:22 AM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
I hope to see some thunderbolt devices before I'm going to start thinking about thunderbolt hubs.
ya man

I am still waiting for the glut of displayport monitors that someone promised me, once upon a time.
blabba5555555555555555555555555555555555555

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Mar 2, 2011, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by CharlesS View Post
A Thunderbolt hub is a Thunderbolt device.
Very true, but, I suspect it'll be a few years before more than a handful of people will be plugging more than 1 device into that hub.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Mar 2, 2011, 11:03 PM

You think so? I'm wishing I had the money for the new machine so that I could get a hub to connect all my USB, FireWire, eSATA, and DisplayPort devices with one cable. That would be incredibly convenient — like a laptop dock, but a lot less bulky and cumbersome. I think that will find a market right away.

Salty  (op)
Professional Poster
Mar 10, 2011, 05:41 AM

Again this isn't for splitting Thunderbolt devices, (though having a say four thunderbolt ports would be great!) It's about sending EVERYTHING through one port.

Currently I have my Monitor, my USB, and sometimes my sound connected when I put my 13 inch MacBook in it's stand. With Thunderbolt I could have not just one monitor, but potentially two or more (not sure how many pixels my Intel HD 3000 could power) also all my USB devices, (and my one Firewire device) plus a set of speakers that could remain continually connected to the hub so that they're there when I dock but I don't need to disconnect them. Add to that something to charge my iPhone when my MacBook isn't at my desk!

Even if it was 69 bucks I'd buy it! Of course that'd have to have a lot of ports.
I'm thinking:
4 Thunderbolt ports
1 DVI out
1 HDMI out
10 USB 2
1 Firewire 400
1 Firewire 800
Mic in
Audio out
SD Card reader,

You know if Apple really wanted to they wanted to they could build it into the AirPort line (I know AIrport = Wireless) but they could also include a wireless router with airplay so that you could stream to your connected speakers! (OK I know that's actually a bit much to hope for but a guy can dream!)

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 10, 2011, 06:08 AM

If you're looking at all that in one box, you're looking at well over $150, and that's with a bordering-on-useless mic in/audio out.

I'm a little confused what the hell your reference to wireless is doing in that hodgepodge of swiss-army-knife requests, since the reason Thunderbolt works as a standard is that it's roughly 100 times faster than wireless protocols can currently muster.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Mar 10, 2011, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by Salty View Post
Even if it was 69 bucks I'd buy it! Of course that'd have to have a lot of ports.
I'm thinking:
4 Thunderbolt ports
1 DVI out
1 HDMI out
10 USB 2
1 Firewire 400
1 Firewire 800
Mic in
Audio out
SD Card reader,
That almost sounds like a separate computer ...

P
Mar 10, 2011, 09:39 AM

What you want is not really a hub in the traditional sense but a docking station. I'm sure that the next Apple display will have at least a bunch of USB ports with the traffic going over the TB connection. With that, you can add audio adapters and SD card readers to that hub. If the TB market develops the way Apple seems to think (all devices having two ports with daisychaining all over the place) you won't need a TB hub, so such a display would cover everything in that list except Firewire. Apple seems to phasing out Firewire, so you'd need a third-party TB-Firewire adapter daisychained in somewhere.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Mar 10, 2011, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by PhilCat View Post
After reviewing Thunderbolt it pretty much makes the current ports on a laptop obsolete.
Ports on the laptop, yes. However, apparently you can use a Thunderbolt to eSATA adapter. This could theoretically saturate the Thunderbolt port if you're running two high resolution, high bit-depth displays and an eSATA drive.

Once Thunderbolt becomes more ubiquitous, I would imagine all the ports will simply be replaced with Thunderbolt, and this will no longer be an issue.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

P
Mar 10, 2011, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
Ports on the laptop, yes. However, apparently you can use a Thunderbolt to eSATA adapter. This could theoretically saturate the Thunderbolt port if you're running two high resolution, high bit-depth displays and an eSATA drive.

Once Thunderbolt becomes more ubiquitous, I would imagine all the ports will simply be replaced with Thunderbolt, and this will no longer be an issue.
Not quite all... USB will stay, for USB memory sticks if nothing else. I also suspect that cheaper items like mice and keyboards will remain USB for the forseeable future - there is no gain in going Thunderbolt, and considerable cost. I also expect the headphone port to remain along with a port for power, but everything else might conceivably go.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 10, 2011, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
Thunderbolt has separate PCIe and DisplayPort channels, all running at 10 GBps, full-duplex.

So you've got 20 out, 20 in.

Salty  (op)
Professional Poster
Mar 11, 2011, 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Thunderbolt has separate PCIe and DisplayPort channels, all running at 10 GBps, full-duplex.

So you've got 20 out, 20 in.
Seriously!? How many monitors/pixels could that push out then? Granted I'm sure my HD 3000 would crash and burn with more than one external... but what about with a better graphics card?

Salty  (op)
Professional Poster
Mar 11, 2011, 06:20 AM

And yes, I do want a docking station. I essentially have this already with a USB hub connected to another USB hub + my AirPort express. What I'm hoping for though is Apple simplifying everything into one device.

The WiFi would be so that even when you disconnect from the Thunderbolt port your Time Machine drive would still be able to continue to back things up, you'd still be able to access content stored on any externals you have, you could still print wirelessly, do airtunes, and maybe even stream a movie from your iPhone to your monitor without having to take your laptop out of your bag.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Mar 11, 2011, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by Salty View Post
Seriously!? How many monitors/pixels could that push out then? Granted I'm sure my HD 3000 would crash and burn with more than one external... but what about with a better graphics card?
Since the display side of Thunderbolt is just DisplayPort, I'd expect it to have the same monitor support — up to 3 monitors at once.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 12, 2011, 06:26 AM

Plus whatever graphics card might be in an external Thunderbolt chassis via PCIe, no?

Salty  (op)
Professional Poster
Mar 12, 2011, 03:15 PM

Mmmm! Imagine if they could actually put a decent graphics card in there connected by Thunderbolt? Could they? That'd be killer! Imagine plugging in your 11 inch Air, and then having a graphics card on par with something in a Mac Pro!

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Mar 12, 2011, 03:35 PM

They could. PCIe is supported over Thunderbolt.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Mar 12, 2011, 04:13 PM

Plus whatever graphics card might be in an external Thunderbolt chassis via PCIe, no?
Like the Duo Dock, which rocked. The Duo, closed, slid into the dock exactly like a cassette into a VCR. You used the Duo in the field then it became a desktop in the office: VRAM, large display, etc. I have wished for a similar setup ever since. With Tbt if Apple does not make such a dock available for the next MBA some third party will.

-Allen Wicks

mike95
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 21, 2011, 04:35 AM

To revive this thread, I wrote a nice summary of the new Thunderbolt hub available here:

Belkin Thunderbolt Hub

Or you can can simply search "Thunderbolt Hub Arrived" in Google and you'll see plenty of information on it.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Sep 21, 2011, 06:01 AM

I'd quite like to see a thunderbolt networking hub. I haven't found any mention of running TCP/IP over thunderbolt anywhere though.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Sep 21, 2011, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by SierraDragon View Post
Like the Duo Dock, which rocked. The Duo, closed, slid into the dock exactly like a cassette into a VCR. You used the Duo in the field then it became a desktop in the office: VRAM, large display, etc. I have wished for a similar setup ever since. With Tbt if Apple does not make such a dock available for the next MBA some third party will.

-Allen Wicks
The Duo Dock wasn't without it's faults. Because the Dock/Eject mechanism was motorized, it was very difficult to eject the laptop when the eject button began to fail (which didn't take too long, back then). After a few years, I always had difficulty ejecting my laptop.

There have almost always been 3rd party docks made for Apple laptops. The problem is that the MacBook design results in them all being kinda kludgy. Given the placement of the expansion ports, a proper Dou Dock-type solution is next to impossible.
http://www.google.ca/search?q=macboo...w=1440&bih=757

P
Sep 21, 2011, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
I'd quite like to see a thunderbolt networking hub. I haven't found any mention of running TCP/IP over thunderbolt anywhere though.
No, much easier to put a 10 gig Ethernet controller in a small Thunderbolt hub - or Infiniband or whatever floats your boat.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Sep 21, 2011, 03:18 PM

10g ethernet costs a bomb though.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 21, 2011, 03:32 PM

10g ethernet costs a bomb though.
As opposed to Thunderbolt?

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Sep 21, 2011, 04:14 PM

Anyone know if it's possible to multiplex several Thunderbolt ports?
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Sep 21, 2011, 05:14 PM

As opposed to Thunderbolt?
Yep:
Newegg.com - HP 468332-B21 NC522SFP Dual Port 10GbE Gigabit Server Adapter 10Gbps PCI-Express

A Thunderbolt switch might be pretty pricey though. Still, if it could make good use of full duplex it would be faster than 10Gbe under certain circumstances. Might be good for a SAN fabric.

Still, 10Gbe and fibre switches aren't cheap either:

Brocade Converged 10GbE Switch Module for IBM BladeCenter 69Y1909 | Insight UK

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 21, 2011, 05:40 PM

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Sep 22, 2011, 05:15 PM

The Duo Dock wasn't without it's faults. Because the Dock/Eject mechanism was motorized, it was very difficult to eject the laptop when the eject button began to fail (which didn't take too long, back then). After a few years, I always had difficulty ejecting my laptop.
I set up three docks operating on a PhoneNet FMP network in my office and all always worked perfectly. It always amazed me to come in from the field, drop the Duo into the slot and have the database synch. Now it is many years later and Aperture still cannot synch.

...Given the placement of the expansion ports, a proper Dou Dock-type solution is next to impossible.
The ports on my 17" 2011 MBP actually look designed for a dock - all ports on one end, DVD slot on the other end, nothing on the front or back. However I expect the 9 smallish ports (10 if you include the EC/34) might be difficult to properly plug in all at once. Unless of course only the power, EC/34 and/or Thunderbolt needed to be connected...

-Allen

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Sep 22, 2011, 07:21 PM

I had a dock for my G3 which plugged into SCSI, 2 USB, 2 audio jacks, printer, modem, keyboard, the works. Its doable.

iomatic
Mac Elite
Sep 22, 2011, 10:43 PM

I thought I saw someone was coming out with one, but what about those in transitional equipment situations?
http://forums.macnn.com/69/mac-noteb...t-mba-but-how/

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Sep 22, 2011, 11:48 PM

Thunderbolt can daisy-chain, so I'd think that wouldn't be a problem. Just connect your Mac to the adapter, then the adapter to the display.

P
Sep 23, 2011, 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by SierraDragon View Post
The ports on my 17" 2011 MBP actually look designed for a dock - all ports on one end, DVD slot on the other end, nothing on the front or back. However I expect the 9 smallish ports (10 if you include the EC/34) might be difficult to properly plug in all at once. Unless of course only the power, EC/34 and/or Thunderbolt needed to be connected...

-Allen
I think they're there so Apple can make "docking hub", ie one where you connect a bunch of ports together on one cat-of-nine-tails type cable harness. To have an actual dock, you'd need some sort of guiding cones to guide it in, which would require two unsightly holes on the side of the MBP. This is one of those cases where I fear that form goes before function.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 23, 2011, 06:50 AM

I'd prefer a single Thunderbolt cable.

guasa03MAC
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 26, 2011, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by mike95 View Post
To revive this thread, I wrote a nice summary of the new Thunderbolt hub available here:

Belkin Thunderbolt Hub

Or you can can simply search "Thunderbolt Hub Arrived" in Google and you'll see plenty of information on it.
I spoke to someone at Belkin today and the tech said he's not even sure if this thing will go into production. Anyone know more about this particular box or others like it???

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Sep 26, 2011, 08:37 PM

I'm beginning to think we'll be into another generation of Macs before we see any Thunderbolt devices in production.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 27, 2011, 12:02 AM

Promise Pegasus have been shipping for a while now.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Sep 27, 2011, 04:37 AM

The Lacie drives are no shipping too and of course Apple's TB display. I'm surprised the Chinese haven't started selling extra controller boards from those to make into docks. Maybe they need a little more time...

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Sep 27, 2011, 08:21 AM

Promise Pegasus have been shipping for a while now.
Whoops, sorry, I should have said "affordable Thunderbolt accessories that the average person can use"

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Sep 27, 2011, 08:23 AM

The Lacie drives are no shipping too and of course Apple's TB display.
I didn't realize the Lacie drives had started shipping. Hopefully that price starts to come down. $400 for 1TB feels a little steep these days.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Sep 27, 2011, 12:59 PM

A little? Its crazy prices. The Pegasus is much better value. Given the speed and capacity, they actually represent a pretty good deal.

amazing
Professional Poster
Sep 27, 2011, 02:09 PM

Thunderbolt devices: The few, the fast, the expensive!

Can't remember a less successful interface introduction by Apple...

P
Sep 28, 2011, 03:45 AM

Firewire wasn't a blast either, but we forget because there were video cameras. And it isn't Apple's standard, it's Intel's.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 28, 2011, 04:00 AM

Everybody forgets ADC...

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Sep 28, 2011, 04:20 AM

ADC was great. Real pity that one never caught on. It was probably a bit ahead of its time. If Apple had introduced it when everyone had switched to LCD it might have stood a better chance.

That said, it amazes me how many LCDs still ship with VGA as the only connector.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 28, 2011, 04:23 AM

I know, but that wasn't the question.

Forum Links
Forum Rules