Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Trouble with passwords

Trouble with passwords
Harvey
Forum Regular
Sep 19, 2014, 09:48 AM

Hello,
It seems that I have always had trouble syncing my passwords between my iMac, MacBook, iPad, and iPhone. I have been using 1Passwords for 3 years now and seem to be forever changing passwords on other devices because they aren't syncing. I know apple also has its own syncing program called keychain (and what about Safari remembering passwords or does it work with keychain?) and was wondering if this could be the problem. It has gotten so bad that I am slowly reverting back to one password for each of my 30 to 40 sites. Has anyone encountered a similar situation and found a solution. I am using Yosemite Beta on my computers and IOS8 on my phone and tablet, but this problem precedes the new OSs.
Harvey

andi*pandi
Sep 20, 2014, 04:27 PM

I'm not sure how you can be using 1password but yet having password problems? Is 1password installed on all devices? Did you install the browser extension? Is your 1password key on dropbox, and call all the devicess access it?

I've never used safari sync.

ibook_steve
Sep 22, 2014, 05:09 PM

Which syncing method are you using: manual wi-fi, Dropbox, or iCloud?

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

Harvey  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 24, 2014, 11:18 AM

I found that the fact that I was using Yosemite would not allow me (yet) to use iCloud. Switched to Dropbox and it works fine . . . . but not with my iPhone and tablet. Password for IOS8 is available for devices. Still not sure if all 4 devices with work in unison some day.

thanks to all you responded.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Oct 8, 2014, 11:20 AM

I've been using 1Password for years and have never had an issue with it syncing up properly, particulary since they enabled Dropbox syncing. I put my 1Password file in Dropbox, have Dropbox installed on every device/computer I intend to use with 1Password, and have 1Password installed on every device/computer. It "just works". I can access all my passwords on all my devices and they are all current thanks to Dropbox syncing.

The key here, I think, is that you must have both 1Password AND Dropbox installed on each computer/iPhone/iPad/etc. I don't believe your iPhone/iPad will have current passwords synced if you only installed 1Password and not Dropbox. It's been awhile since I set it up but I'm pretty sure when you initially tell it to use Dropbox it opens the Dropbox app for you to tell it which file to sync.

Forum Links
Forum Rules