Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > International and keyboard problems

International and keyboard problems
yota
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 23, 2005, 02:23 AM

Hi!

I have a problem with the configuration of my keyboard. I bought a Powerbook in Japan (where I live) so, the keyboard is the american version with japanese characters added. So, the "normal" configuration of the keyboard in the "international panel" is to use American and Japanese.
Then, here is my problem: as I'm french, I said in the international panel that my best preference is first french, then english, then japanese. So, MacOS turns to french menus. But, then, if I execute a program (let's say Firefox for example) and connect to a web page (in french for example), keyboard automatically turns to french keyboard, with keys at the wrong place, of course.
I tried to remove the "french keyboard" in international panel, and even unchecked the option saying that the keyboard should adapt to the application language, but nothing works. The keyboard always tries to go back to french...
The worse is that, even I removed the french keyboard and it doesn't appear on the keyboard list, keys sometimes come back to french ("a" instead of "q" for example) and I have to press the key for "roman characters" (not japanese) on the keyboard to really switch to english!

Anyone has an idea where the problem is coming from and how can I correct?

Thanks a lot for your help!!!

Forum Links
Forum Rules