Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Battlestar Galactica [SPOILERS]

Battlestar Galactica [SPOILERS] (Page 88)
jokell82
Professional Poster
Feb 8, 2009, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by starman View Post
Why? "Spoiler" is in the title. I don't come in here until after I catch up.
I thought we were talking about stuff revealed for next week's episode? That's stuff I'd like to see behind spoiler tags. I purposely miss the previews because I hate knowing anything going in.

Spoilers about what has already aired I have no problem with. And that's what I assumed the thread title meant. But if everyone else wants it to be the other way I have no problems avoiding the thread. No big deal.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

starman
Clinically Insane
Feb 8, 2009, 07:48 PM

We're down to the last six shows and NOW there's a quibble about whether or not to talk about next week's previews?

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

jokell82
Professional Poster
Feb 8, 2009, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by starman View Post
We're down to the last six shows and NOW there's a quibble about whether or not to talk about next week's previews?
No quibble - I just want to know what the "rule" is. I have no problems either way.

starman
Clinically Insane
Feb 8, 2009, 07:58 PM

My point is that after 4+ years, why is there discussion about a rule NOW?

I always watch previews.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 8, 2009, 10:12 PM

Use of spoiler tags has always been kinda hit or miss in this thread. With six episodes to go I don't think we need to start imposing a rule. Yes, the thread titles say spoilers, and some have used the spoiler tags as well. I think anyone that counts on that may be disappointed in what they find in this thread.
Nemo me impune lacesset

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Feb 8, 2009, 10:18 PM

The general rule that people seem to have been following (and I think it's worked well) is that the current episode and previews for the next are fair game without spoiler tags, but stuff beyond that gets spoiler tags.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Feb 8, 2009, 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by lavar78 View Post
For all the great moments in this episode, I think it says a lot that I was most excited about seeing the end of the quorum. That one act probably strengthened the fleet more than anything else Zarek and Gaeta did.

Great job by Roslyn this ep! Loved her reaction to Zarek when she thought Adama was dead.
The Quorum is vitally important: the colonies are some kind of representative democracy. Without the Quorum Roslyn is a dictator.
The era of anthropomorphizing hardware is over.

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Feb 8, 2009, 11:29 PM

If you come into this thread before you watch the weeks' episode, you're going to see a spoiler. I don't always watch BSG on Friday night and I avoid this thread (and others on other boards I frequent) until I've watched it. Is that so hard?

lavar78
Professional Poster
Feb 8, 2009, 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by Don Pickett View Post
The Quorum is vitally important: the colonies are some kind of representative democracy. Without the Quorum Roslyn is a dictator.
And...?

The Adama/Roslyn oligarchy is about as good as humanity is going to get at this point.

"I'm virtually bursting with adequatulence!" - Bill McNeal, NewsRadio

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Feb 8, 2009, 11:39 PM

Lee is the only surviving Quorum member.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 9, 2009, 02:50 AM

Originally Posted by Gankdawg View Post
If you come into this thread before you watch the weeks' episode, you're going to see a spoiler. I don't always watch BSG on Friday night and I avoid this thread (and others on other boards I frequent) until I've watched it. Is that so hard?
We're talking about the "sneak peak" of next week. Lots of people prefer not to watch them, because they often actually do "spoil" the episode.

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Feb 9, 2009, 03:21 AM

And...?

The Adama/Roslyn oligarchy is about as good as humanity is going to get at this point.
Missing the point entirely. One of the show's main themes has been the tension between democratic government and military force in times of crisis. Remove the democratic government from the scene and the show loses one of its central pillars. Beyond that, some of the costliest mistakes made have been when the civilian government was either pushed out of the way by the military, or when it stopped functioning altogether. The writers are clear: the society they envision needs a functioning , democratic civilian government in order to survive.

There will be a new quorum, and Lee with probably be the veep.

lavar78
Professional Poster
Feb 9, 2009, 07:40 AM

Missing the point entirely. One of the show's main themes has been the tension between democratic government and military force in times of crisis. Remove the democratic government from the scene and the show loses one of its central pillars. Beyond that, some of the costliest mistakes made have been when the civilian government was either pushed out of the way by the military, or when it stopped functioning altogether. The writers are clear: the society they envision needs a functioning , democratic civilian government in order to survive.

There will be a new quorum, and Lee with probably be the veep.
What's clear is that the colonists think they need a functioning, democratic civilian government (probably because that's what they've always known). The writers have also done a good job of showing how easily this government can be corrupted and manipulated. Anyway, I hope they don't waste time in these last episodes trying to replace the quorum. If new people just show up soon, I'd be OK with that... as long as they don't have a lot of screen time.

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 9, 2009, 09:45 AM

SciFi has a "sneak peak" that pretty much answers all these questions about the colonial government.

SPOILER ALERT: If you don't like spoilers, don't click that link
Nemo me impune lacesset

OreoCookie
Feb 9, 2009, 11:23 AM

Another excellent episode!
I think they've done an excellent job to show where `good intentions' can lead to (Roslin's stolen election, Gaeta's decision to stage a mutiny, secrecy on what to tell and what not to tell, etc. etc.).
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Feb 9, 2009, 02:44 PM

The writers have also done a good job of showing how easily this government can be murdered by corrupt or misguided individuals.
Fixed.

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Feb 10, 2009, 12:05 AM

What's clear is that the colonists think they need a functioning, democratic civilian government (probably because that's what they've always known). The writers have also done a good job of showing how easily this government can be corrupted and manipulated. Anyway, I hope they don't waste time in these last episodes trying to replace the quorum. If new people just show up soon, I'd be OK with that... as long as they don't have a lot of screen time.
That loud whooshing sound was the entire point of the series flying over your head.

lavar78
Professional Poster
Feb 10, 2009, 02:31 AM

That loud whooshing sound was the entire point of the series flying over your head.
No, that's the sound of your ego enveloping everything around you. Or it could be the god(s) telling trying to tell you how rude that comes across. Luckily, I don't care what you think, so it doesn't really matter.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Feb 10, 2009, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
The general rule that people seem to have been following (and I think it's worked well) is that the current episode and previews for the next are fair game without spoiler tags, but stuff beyond that gets spoiler tags.
Bingo. The next week trailer airs before you even have a chance to know what is going on so pretty much everyone has seen it anyway.

So in that regard I can't wait to see where that resurrection bathtub is that Ellen wakes up in. Wonder if she just resurrected now or when she first died.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Feb 10, 2009, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
Bingo. The next week trailer airs before you even have a chance to know what is going on so pretty much everyone has seen it anyway.

So in that regard I can't wait to see where that[...]died.
Oh, carp!

I, for one, would have appreciated that being in spoiler tags.

I torrent just the episodes (no broadcast, and hence no previews, for some six billion non-Northern Americans), but still enjoy the discussion here.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Feb 11, 2009, 02:23 AM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Oh, carp!

I, for one, would have appreciated that being in spoiler tags.

I torrent just the episodes (no broadcast, and hence no previews, for some six billion non-Northern Americans), but still enjoy the discussion here.

So you're saying if your downloads had the previews you would overt your virgin eyes?

analogika
Posting Junkie
Feb 11, 2009, 09:28 AM

So you're saying if your downloads had the previews you would overt your virgin eyes?
No, I'm saying that I rather like the way things currently work over here and really wouldn't mind if they stayed that way, and if it's not too much trouble for you, sir, could you perhaps stop and spend some consideration for the kittens, please sir?

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Feb 11, 2009, 09:31 AM

It would seem to me that anything that has been aired on TV is free game to post in here. Someone choosing not to watch the aired previews for next week is no different from someone choosing not to watch last week's episode.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Feb 11, 2009, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
It would seem to me that anything that has been aired on TV is free game to post in here. Someone choosing not to watch the aired previews for next week is no different from someone choosing not to watch last week's episode.
That's not even close to being the same thing.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Feb 11, 2009, 10:00 AM

No. There is a considerable difference between going out of your way to download something and then finding time to watch it, and simply leaving your TV running for another 45 seconds.

Look: If there's some physical handicap that makes it excruciating for you to whip up those spoiler tags, then for God's sake don't sweat it.

It's not that big a deal.

But if it's the same to you, I'm probably not, from the discussion here, the only one to appreciate previews being previews, and aired shows being aired shows.
( Last edited by analogika; Feb 11, 2009 at 10:08 AM. )

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Feb 11, 2009, 10:35 AM

It was way to awkward to post a spoiler tag every time I someone mentions something that already aired and is only 7 days away at most. I use the spoiler tag if I read an interview that gives away major plot info or is several weeks ahead.

Not to mention my "spoilers" are just wild guesses from what I saw in the trailer.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Feb 11, 2009, 04:47 PM

Spoiler with guessing ahead....

I was thinking.... when they show Ellen waking up in the resurrection tank she laughs right away. I am assuming it is because she is happy to see it worked. Question is was that a clip of her waking up 2000 years ago? Her laughing when resurrecting after her hubby killed her a year ago doesn't make much sense as she didn't know she was a cylon and she wouldn't be happy she got murdered by him.

So I am also thinking that since she knew she would resurrect 2000 yeas ago and she seemed to be in charge of it somehow. What if the second they found her on BSG she already knew she was a Cylon and didn't say anything. That would be cool as she knows Cylons look human when the prez even says it isn't common knowledge. She also acts suspicious throughout the episode.

Even cooler what if the attack 2000 years ago was because she made some sort of deal with the Cylons like she did on New caprica to save Tai. She said she would do anything and frak anyone for him. Same thing could have happened to the 12 colonies.

Well I'll know this friday hopefully.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Feb 11, 2009, 10:56 PM

I dunno. It seemed to me like the final 5 were just average joes on Earth.

I'm also betting that Earth was nuked by humans 2000 years ago.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Visnaut
Senior User
Feb 12, 2009, 01:26 AM

Question is was that a clip of her waking up 2000 years ago?
Wouldn't make sense. The centurion beside her is the current model from the series. If it was 2000 years ago, we would have seen one of the "ancient" cylons, with that head configuration we saw in "Sometimes a Great Notion".

I wish it wasn't the existing cylon technology that resurrected her though. Would have been much cooler to see it being something older, akin to the temple of five or something. Having it look exactly like the current cylon generation's ressurection technology doesn't make them all that different, which is what it seemed RDM was going for at first. Who knows, maybe it's a budget thing, maybe it's just another crazy dream in Baltar's head (sort of like the promo for last week's episode had some of that too).

If it's all the same tech as all the other cylons, then has resurrection been fixed? Are there an upper echelon of cylons that know way more than the rest? Cavil probably. Maybe Ellen whispered more than just sweet nothings in his ear back on New Caprica...

Originally Posted by goMac View Post
I'm also betting that Earth was nuked by humans 2000 years ago.
Seems like the most plausible explanation. It would really be a kick in the nuts to the human survivors wouldn't it? That their Kobolian ancestors committed the same sort of mass genocide that the current cylons did. Sets them up for an understanding that they're all douche bags, just at different points in time, and subsequent reconciling.

I can't wait for the head characters to come back into play. They're that third party in all of this that neither side seems to be fully aware of, which I find way more interesting than the other story lines.
( Last edited by Visnaut; Feb 12, 2009 at 01:27 AM. Reason: Okay, why is the word douche bag censored? Seriously?)

Visnaut
Senior User
Feb 12, 2009, 01:36 AM

Actually, just thought of something:

What if the final 5 aren't cylons at all? What if they were humans on Earth, meant to infiltrate Cylon society, much like the Cylons did on the colonies?

hwojtek
Forum Regular
Feb 12, 2009, 07:27 AM

like she did on New caprica to save Tai.
Originally Posted by Eug View Post
P.S. Guys, it's not "Tie" or "Ti", etc. It's "Tigh".
___
Wojtek

All Macs still running: iMac G3 Trayloader 333MHz, iMac G3 350 MHz, iMac G4, PM G4 DP 1.6 GHz, 2 x eMac 1 GHz, PBG4 12" 1.5 GHz, Mac SuperMiniâ„¢ C2D 2.33GHz/802.11n/200GB, Mac Pro Quad Core 2.0 GHz/4GB.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Feb 12, 2009, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by Visnaut View Post
Actually, just thought of something:

What if the final 5 aren't cylons at all? What if they were humans on Earth, meant to infiltrate Cylon society, much like the Cylons did on the colonies?
Four of the final five are already known.

Are you saying they're human, but 3000 years old?

OreoCookie
Feb 12, 2009, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Four of the final five are already known.

Are you saying they're human, but 3000 years old?
Five of the five final cylons are already known (unless you haven't started watching season 4.5 yet ).
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Feb 12, 2009, 07:42 AM

oh duh, yeah.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Feb 12, 2009, 01:31 PM

If it's all the same tech as all the other cylons, then has resurrection been fixed? Are there an upper echelon of cylons that know way more than the rest? Cavil probably. Maybe Ellen whispered more than just sweet nothings in his ear back on New Caprica...
Or perhaps she was resurrected right after she died and long before the resurrection hub was nuked.

Cold Warrior
Feb 12, 2009, 05:47 PM

I just watched this ep. Pretty good. Good work Galen. The Admiral should reinstate him.

Visnaut
Senior User
Feb 12, 2009, 07:16 PM

Or perhaps she was resurrected right after she died and long before the resurrection hub was nuked.
Completely plausible. In which case, what has she been doing since then?

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Feb 12, 2009, 07:30 PM

Completely plausible. In which case, what has she been doing since then?
Same thing she was doing when she was "unconscious" for 2 weeks before they found her on a cargo ship.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Feb 12, 2009, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
I thought we were talking about stuff revealed for next week's episode? That's stuff I'd like to see behind spoiler tags. I purposely miss the previews because I hate knowing anything going in.
I see I'm not the only person who does that. At the beginning of every new episode I avert my eyes when the 10-15 sec preview comes on.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 13, 2009, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
...I avert my eyes when the 10-15 sec preview comes on.
I detest the post opening credits preview. They basically ruin the show you are about to watch in 10 seconds. I don't watch it.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Feb 13, 2009, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post
I detest the post opening credits preview. They basically ruin the show you are about to watch in 10 seconds. I don't watch it.
Have you ever seen the original BSG? They had really long post-opening credits previews.

Salty
Professional Poster
Feb 13, 2009, 11:50 AM

Same thing she was doing when she was "unconscious" for 2 weeks before they found her on a cargo ship.
Fracking anything that moves?

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Feb 14, 2009, 01:04 AM

Still digesting this episode?

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Feb 14, 2009, 01:14 AM

Was I the only one to find John Hodgeman's appearance to be a little distracting?

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 14, 2009, 01:29 AM

So there was never a plan, just a guy that wanted robot eyes. He's like a pissy nine year old with nukes.
Nemo me impune lacesset

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 14, 2009, 01:48 AM

So is Baltar Daniel? Anders said they saw different warnings about the attack "I saw a woman, Tori you saw a man". The only ones they've ever shown getting advice and warnings from an imaginary friend are Baltar and Caprica Six. Was Ellen able to smuggle out a Daniel before Brother John screwed the whole line?
Nemo me impune lacesset

goMac
Posting Junkie
Feb 14, 2009, 01:55 AM

Originally Posted by ThinkInsane View Post
So is Baltar Daniel? Anders said they saw different warnings about the attack "I saw a woman, Tori you saw a man". The only ones they've ever shown getting advice and warnings from an imaginary friend are Baltar and Caprica Six. Was Ellen able to smuggle out a Daniel before Brother John screwed the whole line?
oooo good question.

Wasn't Daniel supposed to be an artist though?

And Kara is the daughter of a piano player...

HmmmMMMMMMmmmmm.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 14, 2009, 02:04 AM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Was I the only one to find John Hodgeman's appearance to be a little distracting?
Totally my reaction, as well. Egh. I was waiting for Justin Long to show up as his assistant.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

Thorzdad
Feb 14, 2009, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
I sure did. Mostly because my brain wouldn't allow me to register that it was Hodgeman right away. It was as if my brain was trying to find some other reason the doctor looked and spoke exactly like Hodgeman.

As to the Daniel/Baltar thing...I gotta say this is a good possibility. He's certainly got the stereotypical "sensitive artist" personna going. Otherwise, I can't really see a reason for his character to even be on the show anymore. He really has become a minor character. But, if it turns out he's Daniel...then it all makes a bit more sense, especially considering Baltar's little one-true-god religious following.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 14, 2009, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by Gankdawg View Post
Have you ever seen the original BSG? They had really long post-opening credits previews.
Uhhh... no they didn't. They had a typical 30 second pre-credit preview and nothing but other credits after the opening. I own BSG classic on DVD. Besides, it wasn't as well plot-driven as this show is so there really wasn't much to spoil.

As for last night's episode, it's finally adding up and kind of making sense.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Forum Links
Forum Rules