Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > best way to sync Safari <-> Mozilla bookmarks

best way to sync Safari <-> Mozilla bookmarks
joe
Mac Elite
Dec 27, 2004, 10:11 AM

I regularly use Safari and Mozilla. Over time I've added different bookmarks in both browsers. And I was wondering if there was an easy way to synchronize them so that both browsers have the same bookmarks. IE - the extra bookmarks in Safari could be copied over to Mozilla and vice versa. Many of my bookmarks are work related and organized in folders with sub-folders. It would be convenient if these folders/sub-folders could be maintaned between browsers.

Alternatively, is there a better way to manage a large number of structured bookmarks between multiple browsers?

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 27, 2004, 01:34 PM

The trick is that Safari doesn't support exporting its bookmarks. For that, you need this. Once you export the bookmarks, you can import them into Mozilla. Mozilla should show you when there are identical bookmarks and may offer not to import them. Whatver happens, you can use Mozilla to tweak your bookmarks, and then export them back to Safari. Once you have them synced, just make sure you update both browsers when you add new bookmarks.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

bbales
Mac Elite
Dec 27, 2004, 06:45 PM

Thanks -- I JUST downloaded Firefox and stopped even playing around with it much (well, I also had stuff to do!) because of being stymied by the lack of a way to get my Safari bookmarks.

I wonder how the Firefox browser is doing, in terms of usage, when compared with Safari. (Personally, I have used IE only when I absolutely have to ever since safari debuted nearly two years ago.)

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 27, 2004, 07:03 PM

I like Firefox on both Mac and Windows platforms. I have found some interesting issues on some sites, such as not loading the page the way other browsers do-I figure that's mostly because of non-standard coding of these pages.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

joe  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 28, 2004, 09:06 AM

Originally posted by GHPorter:
The trick is that Safari doesn't support exporting its bookmarks. For that, you need this. Once you export the bookmarks, you can import them into Mozilla. Mozilla should show you when there are identical bookmarks and may offer not to import them.
Mozilla didn't show me identical bookmarks. Instead, the Mozilla bookmarks now match Safari bookmarks precisely. The bookmarks I saved using Mozilla were lost. Luckily I recently installed Firefox which imported my Mozilla bookmarks - so I have a backup as long as I use Firefox.

It seems that most bookmark utilities merely transfer them from one browser to the other instead of syncing/combining them. Does anyone know of a browser utility that can sync/combine bookmarks? Or some other alternative to managing bookmarks between several browsers?

thanx!

Randman
Posting Junkie
Dec 28, 2004, 09:31 AM

Syncing between one computer or more than one? For more than one, .Mac has a nice bookmark sync. I use it at work with the gawd-awful windoze machine I'm using at the moment. I just to .mac, open bookmarks and I have my Safari bookmarks (I prefer to use Safari with the Mac, but I use the Bookmarks function with Firefox).

At home, I just have my bookmarks set to sync with .mac so everything's kept nice and consistent. It also gives me an extra backup.

I guess this could be done on one computer with more than one browser as well, now that I think about it.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

pliny
Mac Elite
Dec 28, 2004, 10:26 AM

Bookit is a very good utility that lets you import/export to a range of browsers and that I think, also creates a bookmark file you can use across browsers. It's cheap too; i don't have the link.
i look in your general direction

Forum Links
Forum Rules