Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 12 inch case warping

12 inch case warping
Dr.Michael
Feb 15, 2005, 10:53 AM

The first 12 inch models were notorious for this.

I did not follow the discussion so I don't know if there is a solution around now.
If not, here is one:

I opened the case of my (not warping) rev. b to have a look at the heatsink and hd for replacement. After I had put everything together - the case warped.

Solution: I loosened all easy accessible screws a little, placed my powerbook on the table exactly as if I wanted to work on it, checked (did not warp any more) and fixed the screws again (in no particular order).
Thats it. Warping is gone.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Feb 15, 2005, 12:50 PM

Where was your warping occurring? I have a warp in the front by the latch and one on the side by the optical slot, they're hardly noticeable but I'd like to have a seamless 12" if I could, this sounds promising.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

Dr.Michael  (op)
Feb 15, 2005, 02:45 PM

Originally posted by iREZ:
Where was your warping occurring? I have a warp in the front by the latch and one on the side by the optical slot, they're hardly noticeable but I'd like to have a seamless 12" if I could, this sounds promising.
Well, I hope warping was the right word.
My case did not lie flat on the table any more. Only 3 feet touched the ground. So the whole case was a little bit warped.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Feb 15, 2005, 03:41 PM

Oh you had a "wobble problem". My fix for that is to find the edge that's not sitting properly and sliding it over the edge of a table and sligtly pushing down (ever so gently) to sort of bend it back to shape. I've only had to do that twice, that's my fix for it.

Dr.Michael  (op)
Feb 15, 2005, 06:00 PM

English is only easy at the FIRST glance .

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Feb 15, 2005, 08:03 PM

I'd be kinda worried about bending the case... my new 15" AL book has a slight wobble, but it's not that bad. When I checked in the Apple store, about 1/2 of them were that way.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Feb 15, 2005, 08:32 PM

Oh god... it's really not bad at all. All I do is open my PB so that I don't bend the LCD as well. Slide the said corner over the edge of the table, and slightly push down. It's done so delicately that I myself don't even think I get anything accomplished, although my final results prove that I have indeed done something.

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Feb 15, 2005, 09:08 PM

I wish studying was like that.
Feeling like you did nothing but actually you're well prepared to make an A on the test. Normally it's the opposite with me.

maxintosh
Mac Elite
Feb 15, 2005, 09:40 PM

Oh you had a "wobble problem". My fix for that is to find the edge that's not sitting properly and sliding it over the edge of a table and sligtly pushing down (ever so gently) to sort of bend it back to shape. I've only had to do that twice, that's my fix for it.
Wow. My new PB 12" that arrived today didn't sit straight on the table (looks like the technicians didn't put the bottom case on right) but I tried *really* gently pushing it down and the case fell back into place and now it sits straight. Who knew? Thanks Now I have *zero* complaints about this gorgeous machine.

markponcelet
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 15, 2005, 10:16 PM

Originally posted by maxintosh:
Wow. My new PB 12" that arrived today didn't sit straight on the table (looks like the technicians didn't put the bottom case on right) but I tried *really* gently pushing it down and the case fell back into place and now it sits straight. Who knew? Thanks Now I have *zero* complaints about this gorgeous machine.
LOL. If at first you don't succeed, force it.

Dr.Michael  (op)
Feb 16, 2005, 06:18 AM

Oh god... it's really not bad at all. All I do is open my PB so that I don't bend the LCD as well. Slide the said corner over the edge of the table, and slightly push down. It's done so delicately that I myself don't even think I get anything accomplished, although my final results prove that I have indeed done something.
Desolee to hear that this problem still exists.

I can only recommend to loosen the screws instead of applying force.
Force distorts the case and might bend the metal (your warps, iRez!) or leaves tension. My method uses existing play in the slits (screw holes, case fittings etc.) and thus is much less invasive.

Forum Links
Forum Rules