Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Going to Cuba to wed. Should I bring it? scared

Going to Cuba to wed. Should I bring it? scared
broxy5
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 9, 2005, 07:28 PM

Anyone take theirs away? My friend wants me to take it so we can load, view and store pics from here Nikon. Sort of worried about if the safe is big enough, and need to get the right adaptor.

Did I hear it right? The Wall adaptor works with different voltages??

bradoesch
Professional Poster
Mar 9, 2005, 07:43 PM

I just got back from a resort in the Dominican and the safe was only big enough to hold cameras and wallets.

The wall adaptor should support 240V but I'd still make sure (it'll say right on it.)

blaze6257
Mar 10, 2005, 10:37 PM

its can i used mine in china which is that voltage and it didnt burn out and worked fine

broxy5  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 10, 2005, 10:53 PM

Thanks. I've just picked up the adapter I need so my charger fits. From what I've read, cuba uses both standard american (include canada, america is for all of us), and the european plug.

Now there are two other things I worry about.
1. A safe big enough for it.
2. Will I have any trouble bringing it there. I read that they will take down serial numbers, and if you don't have it when you go home, fines may be incurred. Is this true??? I read this on an old forum i found doing a search. I'm sort of looking for something conclusive.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Mar 10, 2005, 11:06 PM

Those safes are usually quite small. You really don't want to be worrying about your laptop on this trip, do you? Leave it at home and pick up some extra memory for the camera instead.

dreilly1
Mac Elite
Mar 10, 2005, 11:18 PM

Originally posted by broxy5:
Now there are two other things I worry about.
1. A safe big enough for it.
I have a 12" iBook, and you'd be suprised at the places it will fit. When we went to Italy last year, I was able to just barely fit the iBook in the room safe at the hotel we stayed at in Rome.

Member of the the Stupid Brigade! (If you see Sponsored Links in any of my posts, please PM me!)

broxy5  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 10, 2005, 11:30 PM

No I don't really want to take it. A friend has asked if I would consider it, which I am, but to honest, I love this thing too much to worry about it. I'm going down there to get married, not to obsess about my new beautiful ibook.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Mar 10, 2005, 11:59 PM

I'm going down there to get married, not to obsess about my new beautiful ibook.
Precisely. You've got other beautiful things to obsess about

broxy5  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 11, 2005, 12:43 AM

Well said. Thanks.

Gamoe
Mac Elite
Mar 11, 2005, 01:46 AM

Anyone take theirs away? My friend wants me to take it so we can load, view and store pics from here Nikon. Sort of worried about if the safe is big enough, and need to get the right adaptor.

Did I hear it right? The Wall adaptor works with different voltages??
Don't want to turn this into a political matter, BUT.... While you're in Cuba remember that the Cubans have virtually no rights, that tourists have more rights than Cubans, can buy at stores Cubans can't, go to places Cubans can't, etc. Remember that the dollars you will be spending will be going to an oppressive, dictatorship government, with an absolutely horrid human rights record.

I'm not saying you should cancel your visit-- why, just because of a few questionable moral issues? But, while your there enjoying the natural beauty, and your new wife('s company), keep in mind that the people of that country are oppressed and consistently denied their basic human rights.

Check out the Free Cuba Foundation website for some more eye-opening info.

broxy5  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 11, 2005, 02:46 AM

You are correct. We are doing what we can afford to help by bringing gifts, medicine, and buying locally at markets. I realise these are only small things, but it's better than doing nothing at all.

Gamoe
Mac Elite
Mar 11, 2005, 08:04 AM

You are correct. We are doing what we can afford to help by bringing gifts, medicine, and buying locally at markets. I realise these are only small things, but it's better than doing nothing at all.
That's an odd thing to combine with getting married, but if you are indeed trying to help, then I applaud your efforts. The state of Cuba today is really something very sad, specially if you compare it with 50 years ago.

I suggest you leave your iBook at home unless you plan to be working on it, copying photos or video or so forth.

KianD
Mar 11, 2005, 08:28 AM

Originally posted by bradoesch:
I just got back from a resort in the Dominican and the safe was only big enough to hold cameras and wallets.

The wall adaptor should support 240V but I'd still make sure (it'll say right on it.)
All my Apple and IBM hardware, ever, has had 100-250 safe adapters. Just get an adapter or a replacement pigtail (removable bit of the charger unit, brick to wall) and you're fine - I used my ancient Powerbook in Canada like that.
Refusing to resign myself to using an Apple full time - cost so far: �152 for a new hard disk for my Vaio, �10 for new IDE cables for my desktop.

moodymonster
Mac Elite
Mar 11, 2005, 06:05 PM

it may fall under export restrictions - you can't take computers over a certain processing power to certain countries.

broxy5  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 11, 2005, 07:13 PM

that's all i need. it's staying home.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Mar 11, 2005, 08:22 PM

Originally posted by moodymonster:
it may fall under export restrictions - you can't take computers over a certain processing power to certain countries.

KianD
Mar 11, 2005, 09:08 PM

Originally posted by moodymonster:
I was about to counter this until I remember he's from the US. Where you can take crypto algorhythms out of the country if they're over a certain power...

My cellphone is an offensive weapon in the US. Because it has a European, clean, 128 bit SSL implementation on it, and it has SSH...

I've taken a laptop in and out of the US, which was more powerful as my iBook in pure numbers (1.2/512/48MB graphics), so I doubt the customs will stop him.

For what he wants to do, you can get horribly expensive devices that are just HDD's with card readers that copy the data off and wipe the card, but it would be cheaper to buy extra cards for the camera
Refusing to resign myself to using an Apple full time - cost so far: �152 for a new hard disk for my Vaio, �10 for new IDE cables for my desktop.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Mar 11, 2005, 09:14 PM

Originally posted by KianD:
I've taken a laptop in and out of the US, which was more powerful as my iBook in pure numbers (1.2/512/48MB graphics), so I doubt the customs will stop him.
Never-mind that he won't actually be going to Cuba from the US (Americans don't have the freedom to travel to Cuba). He'll likely be traveling to Cuba from either Canada or Mexico.

KianD
Mar 11, 2005, 10:19 PM

Originally posted by Wiskedjak:
Never-mind that he won't actually be going to Cuba from the US (Americans don't have the freedom to travel to Cuba). He'll likely be traveling to Cuba from either Canada or Mexico.
What?

Apparent''Land Of The Free'', and theres countries you're *not allowed go to*?

WTF?

Something tells me this thread will end up in the 'political' subforum of the lounge soon...

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Mar 12, 2005, 12:13 AM

yeah the US has prohibited exports to korea cuba and various other country's that may like to harm the US or its citizens. I don't know the details but it is illegal to take some things into those country's. Not only that but it will probably get stolen and you will be assaulted.

broxy5  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 12, 2005, 03:52 AM

We are leaving from Calgary Alberta. I'm not lookign for any trouble, heart-ache, misery or worry. This is my first mac, and I don't want it taken away, stolen, lost or wrecked. I'll buy the cards for my friend, as it's my wedding she will be shooting. She just bought the camera, and it wasn't cheap. Alot more than my ibook, so she is just as worried about her camera. At least it will fit in the safe.

Thanks for the input people. This forum is the cat's!!!

mgl
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 12, 2005, 03:22 PM

I took my iBook to a relative's wedding and it was nice to have it and not just extra CF cards for the digital camera. Everybody loved watching the iPhoto slideshow after the wedding. It was instant gratification.

However, it's too bad it's your iBook and not a friend's. You should have a friend taking a laptop and worrying about getting the photos on it, not you! :-)

When I travel, I take a kensington lock with me. I know, a thief can break it, but it's better than leaving your iBook unlocked in a hotel room. A Kensington lock is cheap peace of mind. I've taken my iBook to many cities and never had a problem with locking it to something in the room.

Forum Links
Forum Rules