Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Pismo Upgrades

Pismo Upgrades
jimzim66
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 14, 2005, 07:24 PM

Hey everyone, Im new here, and cant wait to learn more about mac's from everyone.

I recently purchased a used pismo (500MHz/DVD/512 MB RAM) and am looking for future upgrades. I plan to get an airport card, and then i am told to upgrade the hard drive. Any idea how far up i should go and where i can find a HD for the pismo?

Any comments are appreciated.

kmarketing
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 14, 2005, 09:48 PM

Hi,

I have agb memory and an 80gb 5400speed hard drive in my pismo. They make a great difference in performance! I think you can find them on sites like newegg or if you prefer stores sometimes compusa has the 80gb 5400 for $100.

Good luck, and have fun with your "new" pismo!

jimzim66  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 15, 2005, 12:54 AM

What brand is the hard drive you mention?

I bought OS X Tiger and installed it, and for such an advanced OS, it works flawlessly with my Pismo. And i got the book cheap too!

kmarketing
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 15, 2005, 01:41 AM

Hi,

Congrats!! Tiger runs great on my pismo also. And just like you I got my current pismo for cheap a couple of months ago - $200 then, $350 total with upgrades. This was a wise investment, as I am certain yours will be for you.

The memory and hard drive definitely helps. I think mine is by Hitachi, with 8mb cache. I don't know what that is, but I hear it makes a big difference in hard drives.

Have fun!

jimzim66  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 15, 2005, 08:38 PM

I also bought my pismo for $200 (i dont think the seller was aware of its real worth ) and then spent $75 on OS X Tiger (with the education discount) and so far its amazing. I usually like to lay in bed but the performance of this machine has not only glued me to my desk (so i can attach the ethernet cable), but may also sway me to make mac my next desktop computer.

Any good places to find airport cards?

SEkker
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 15, 2005, 11:33 PM

RAM is always good for OS X. The Pismo can take up to 1 GB in 2 512 MB sticks.

Whatever you buy, replace the HD with a 5400 rpm or higher model -- makes a big difference on the Pismo.

It's no speed demon, but an updated Pismo can keep up with current iBooks in terms of speed in every day usage. You only notice a slowdown when you run G4-specific apps (like ripping a CD in iTunes, or making a movie in iMovie). The former is ok -- how many CDs will you rip at once anyway, and it runs well in the background. The latter is really something that a mac mini will do better -- 10-20x better -- than a Pismo.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Aug 17, 2005, 07:59 AM

thanks jimzim66 and kmarketing for your advice on the pismo. (I didn't want to bother you guys with another PM so I posted here)
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

Forum Links
Forum Rules