Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > where is the fan of ibook(ibookG4 1G 12')?

where is the fan of ibook(ibookG4 1G 12')?
maCCer
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 16, 2004, 05:06 AM

i just want to ask the question about the fan of ibook, wondering why i never heard some sort of sounds which can tell me the fan is working, even i feel my left hand is getting 'warm'.
can someone tell me , after 3-4hours of surfing internet,play the buildin chess game, and listen to music, did your ibook get hot, or warm(the left hand)?
And how can we solve it?
thx
There were once four people named Everybody, Somebody, Nobody and Anybody. Somebody had to do a job, but Nobody wanted to do it. Nobody could see that Anybody could do it, and Somebody got angry about that because it was Everybody's job. Nobody ended up doing it, and it so happened that Everybody blamed Somebody when Nobody did what Anybody could have done.

drive-thru
Senior User
Oct 16, 2004, 05:47 AM

Picture
The picture is from below (battery on the left), the fan is near the hinge, with the piece of orange tape below it.

The left palm rest gets warm because this is where the hard-drive is. It's not a big problem that the fan comes on, but it can get annoying. Make sure there is enough airflow underneath your iBook to dissapate the heat (and make sure that the left hand side vent is not covered). You can also try putting something underneath your iBook to lift it up and allow more airflow. I have seen people use CD cases for this, although they look pretty ugly. I made a small stand from an aluminium sheet and 4 rubber feet (like those on the iBook) which allows a bit more airflow, also the alu gets hot and takes some of the heat away.
Also try to keep the iBook away from any heat source, like a radiator. If the air around it is already warm then your iBook's temp is going to be high.
I've heard people say that upgrading to at least 512MB RAM helps stop the fan coming on as often. How much RAM do you currently have?

If you're that worried about it then get one of the cooling stands which have fans in them.

maCCer  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 16, 2004, 06:38 AM

thx for that .
My one has 512 ram on it.
when the fan is running can i hear the sound, or are there any way i can check whether the fan is working.
i found that design is not that good,especially when i typing,although it is not hot but warm feeling is not good.
does powerbook has that same problem?
There were once four people named Everybody, Somebody, Nobody and Anybody. Somebody had to do a job, but Nobody wanted to do it. Nobody could see that Anybody could do it, and Somebody got angry about that because it was Everybody's job. Nobody ended up doing it, and it so happened that Everybody blamed Somebody when Nobody did what Anybody could have done.

maCCer  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 16, 2004, 06:41 AM

are there any cooling stands that i can refer to?

LukeGX
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 16, 2004, 06:46 AM

Antec makes a cooling stand for laptops. I am quite sure they are compatible with iBooks...

http://www.antec.com/us/productDetails.php?ProdID=75004
60GB iPod Photo
350Mhz G3 B/W Tower 448MBRAM 7GB 40GB DVDRW OSX 10.3
XP2700 1GBRAM TI4200 40GB 200GB SATA RAID 1

drive-thru
Senior User
Oct 16, 2004, 07:19 AM

You will notice when tthe fan turns on. I have heard many people sayinng that the fans in the G4 iBooks rarely come on, and they too were worried that theirs was not working.
I wouldn't worry about it too much, chances are your fan is fine, but the iBook is not getting hot enough to need to turn it on.

Does anyone know if the Hardware Test CD turns the fan on to check it?

nJm
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 16, 2004, 10:41 AM

I still have the problem that the fan in my 12" 1Ghz comes on all the time. All I have to do is watch a Quicktime video, DVD or use iTunes at the same time as Safari and the fan comes on (and the iBook gets extremely hot). This is only when the AC adaptor is plugged in, with external monitor and 512mb ram. I have a friend with an identical setup and his never gets nearly as hot as mine, and has never heard the fans in his.
MBP 2.16ghz 15"
iMac G5 1.6Ghz 17"
Powermac 7200/120

Abit667
Forum Regular
Oct 16, 2004, 04:14 PM

I run folding@home pretty much 24/7 when im not using the battery on my G4 1Ghz iBook so the fan comes on for a while like every 20 minutes to cool it back down. It's about as loud as my external hd so it doesn't really bother me at all, it's actually pretty nice sounding.

LukeGX
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 18, 2004, 05:28 PM

Mine has only ever turned on when I use iMovie or Final Cut Pro, even then it only stays on for a few minutes. I use my iBook mostly for photo editing and watching movies (divX etc).
It can play a whole 2 hour movie in dicX and not come on at all. Even when the ambient temperature is quite high (30 degrees celsius).
60GB iPod Photo
350Mhz G3 B/W Tower 448MBRAM 7GB 40GB DVDRW OSX 10.3
XP2700 1GBRAM TI4200 40GB 200GB SATA RAID 1

Forum Links
Forum Rules