Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > GRRR@ the new ibook, how i hate thee!!

GRRR@ the new ibook, how i hate thee!!
onlykaria
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2004, 12:34 AM

grrr

i JUST got my ibook less than 30days ago!! this angers me!!! i really, really, really, really, really wanted an 80GB HD. and now they finally have one!! also the free airport card would have saved me 69$

how i hate thee new ibook!! you smell like POO!!!

ok that being said i did get in on the cram and jam, so i am still not at a loss, just annoyed at missing out on 20 wonderful GBs.

did anyway one else just buy an ibook or am i the only angry sucker?

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 20, 2004, 02:02 AM

suck it up and deal buddy, this crap happens all the time. love the one you're with, ya know?

A Ghost Is Born
Forum Regular
Oct 20, 2004, 02:23 AM

This happened to me but I bought my unit less than a week ago. Since I didn't have mine BTO, I ended up swapping and getting some money back.

I understand your concern but 20GBs is 20GBs. Consider using your iPod as an external drive. I have a 40GB third generation iPod. It's very useful to store a few extra docs on there.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Oct 20, 2004, 02:36 AM

Originally posted by d4nth3m4n:
suck it up and deal buddy, this crap happens all the time. love the one you're with, ya know?
Gotta agree here. Welcome to the world of computers, dude. This is nothing new, and just something you have to deal with.

That being said, that new low-end iBook is really, really tempting, I have to say. I'd like me one o' dem. Yummy.

Edit: Like, whoa, is the font smaller or different here in the iBook forum, or is it just me?

valdur
Forum Regular
Oct 20, 2004, 06:56 AM

do yourself a favor and keep up with news around the web...

visit some rumor sites...do some research...(apple's release/update cycles)...

in some cases it is just completely unavoidable and unpredictable...but for most of the time, you'll come across some pretty reliable info and be able to avoid this...

Randman
Posting Junkie
Oct 20, 2004, 07:10 AM

You still have a very good iBook, and the cram & jam deal was sweet, so be happy with what you have.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Kissargi
Forum Regular
Oct 20, 2004, 07:48 AM

Well you only have yourself to blame. Quit moaning and enjoy your wonderful iBook.

buffalolee
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2004, 08:35 AM

Remember, whenever Apple comes out with a rebate type deal, a refresh in the line is coming out. It helps to clear out the inventory to make room for the new one.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Oct 20, 2004, 11:36 AM

You wanna hear mad, my GF just got a 1ghz iBook 12" only 5 days ago, and since she bought it from a non Apple store (UCLA Apple store) they refuse to honor her purchase date of 5 days ago, and instead they replace the date of purchase on the day the UCLA store ordered and purchased the machines (Sept 9th) even though my GF has the receipt for her purchase. Apple kept her on the phone for 3 hours and in the end she got a crummy supervisor who didn't even believe that she was on the phone for as long as my GF stated, even though she took down the names of everyone not to mention keeping notes while talking. The fact that Apple wont honor what clearly is written on their site for a 14 day price protection is absurd. Apple really needs to make these policy clear for all who purchase a machine. Really sucks they would do this to a person who just made the switch, and all she really wanted was an airport card, not even a new machine.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

deadpuppet
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 20, 2004, 11:52 AM

I'm really tempted to buy the 12" laptop but since I don't have any real need for it I think I'll wait for next revision in hope that we'll see 64mb gfx.
-- Hamburger. The cornerstone of every
nutrious breakfast

A Ghost Is Born
Forum Regular
Oct 20, 2004, 02:34 PM

Originally posted by iREZ:
You wanna hear mad, my GF just got a 1ghz iBook 12" only 5 days ago, and since she bought it from a non Apple store (UCLA Apple store) they refuse to honor her purchase date of 5 days ago, and instead they replace the date of purchase on the day the UCLA store ordered and purchased the machines (Sept 9th) even though my GF has the receipt for her purchase. Apple kept her on the phone for 3 hours and in the end she got a crummy supervisor who didn't even believe that she was on the phone for as long as my GF stated, even though she took down the names of everyone not to mention keeping notes while talking. The fact that Apple wont honor what clearly is written on their site for a 14 day price protection is absurd. Apple really needs to make these policy clear for all who purchase a machine. Really sucks they would do this to a person who just made the switch, and all she really wanted was an airport card, not even a new machine.
I don't believe that the Apple resellers have to honor the same policies that Apple does. When I called Apple about my ibook that I purchased five days ago, they explained if it had been ordered through them they could offer some solutions including exchanging (by paying restocking fee) or reimbursement. However, since I purchased from an Apple store (an actual Apple store not a reseller like the university or a third party company like best buy or compusa) the policy could be a little different and to refer to my reciept for the policy. I was very fortunate that the Apple store was very considerate of the situation and offered to replace the unit and give me a little bit of refund. In your situation I would try calling Apple again and explain the situation calmly and focus on how Apple could provide excellent customer service by providing an Airport card for free or a discounted price. Good luck.

onlykaria  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2004, 11:00 PM

Originally posted by d4nth3m4n:
these no need to be so ****ing rude kid. if you dont like my rant you dont have to post. geez!!!

onlykaria  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2004, 11:05 PM

Originally posted by Kissargi:
Well you only have yourself to blame. Quit moaning and enjoy your wonderful iBook.
you people just pointless, rude. whats your damage? do you need to get laid or something?

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Oct 20, 2004, 11:09 PM

Originally posted by onlykaria:
these no need to be so ****ing rude kid. if you dont like my rant you dont have to post. geez!!!
Suck it up and be happy with the machine you have. Where is the rudeness in that? I didn't get that from his post, dude. This does happen all the time, threads like this, after every single product update.

LukeGX
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 21, 2004, 02:40 AM

Suck it up and be happy with the machine you have. Where is the rudeness in that? I didn't get that from his post, dude. This does happen all the time, threads like this, after every single product update.
I agree, If your gonna post a complaint about something that is an accepted part of the computer industry you should expect to recieve some matter of fact responses.

Once I bought a 16x cdrw drive for $600 and a month later a 52x cdrw was only $90.
Tough, thats the way the cookie crumbles. Deal with it.
60GB iPod Photo
350Mhz G3 B/W Tower 448MBRAM 7GB 40GB DVDRW OSX 10.3
XP2700 1GBRAM TI4200 40GB 200GB SATA RAID 1

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Oct 21, 2004, 02:17 PM

Originally posted by LukeGX:
I agree, If your gonna post a complaint about something that is an accepted part of the computer industry you should expect to recieve some matter of fact responses.

Once I bought a 16x cdrw drive for $600 and a month later a 52x cdrw was only $90.
Tough, thats the way the cookie crumbles. Deal with it.
that's different because that's called being an early adopter.

wertwert
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 21, 2004, 03:19 PM

Originally posted by onlykaria:
you people just pointless, rude. whats your damage? do you need to get laid or something?
Erm...dude? Seriously..like cool down? The two guys you slammed were saying perfectly unoffensive things.

Maybe you should have checked before purchasing your ibook so close to a planned revision. Trust us, we've seen it before. When you hang out more on the board you'll understand.

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 21, 2004, 04:09 PM

newbies are so feisty.

acadian
Senior User
Oct 22, 2004, 12:47 AM

Yeah...I guess you really do have a valid point. I mean, what the hell business does Apple have releasing a new product anyways? Especially when it does not coincide with YOUR product purchasing timeline...like...how dare they? It's not like they're in the business of making/selling new products to make a profit or anything....
people ruin everything....

A Ghost Is Born
Forum Regular
Oct 22, 2004, 01:03 AM

Originally posted by acadian:
Yeah...I guess you really do have a valid point. I mean, what the hell business does Apple have releasing a new product anyways? Especially when it does not coincide with YOUR product purchasing timeline...like...how dare they? It's not like they're in the business of making/selling new products to make a profit or anything....
this made me laugh.

James L
Mac Elite
Oct 24, 2004, 11:51 PM

To the original poster,

I doubt anyone means to be rude, but if you search these forums there are hundreds, if not thousands of these threads. And, many of them make it out to be Apple's fault that they rev'd a machine right after someone bought one.

The new iBooks are a great deal, nothing there to hate. You can be pissed at yourself for buying so close to a rev if you want, but I wouldn't bother there either. You cannot stop progress, and machines will improve more and more often. Moore's Law means this will pretty much always be the case.

As one of the first people to reply to you said, enjoy your machine. You have a new Mac... one of the coolest feelings in the world!

Enjoy your machine!

Forum Links
Forum Rules