Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > HP Printer Software Update/App Store Update Issue

HP Printer Software Update/App Store Update Issue
Ralph Tomaccio
Dec 15, 2014, 01:51 PM

I recently had to reinstall Yosemite due to a stupid move on my part, but that is another story. Everything seemed to go well with the exception of an update in the App Store. In Update it says there is an update for the HP Printer Software 3.0 as well as Safari 8.0.2. Below that in "Updates installed in the last 30 days" those same two updates show as already being installed numerous times as I tried to correct the situation. When I hit "Update All", it shows a very quick display of the progress bar as though it is being downloaded but then those two updates remain as still needing to be updated. The icon for the App Store in the Dock continues to show a "1" indicating there is an update still available.

If these updates are already installed, how do I get rid if the same updates that show they still need to be installed?

Ralph Tomaccio  (op)
Dec 16, 2014, 12:45 AM

I tried resetting the App Store and cleaning cookies, as well as doing the Spotlight Re-index and nothing helped. Someone on another forum suggested resetting the PRAM but that didn't help either. Another suggested clearing Safari's history and web site data and that, too, didn't help.

Another said it may be caused if you have an external drive with a backup of your system on it. If that external drive is indexed by Spotlight, then the App store will see the old version in the backup and want to update it. But App store updates the version on the internal drive, so the backup never gets touched (wouldn't want it to, anyway, as it is a backup), so App Store keeps suggesting updates.

I then tried restarting in Safe Mode to see if the updates appeared, and they did. When I restarted in normal mode, the updates no longer appeared. Hopefully for good, but time will tell. If it reappears, I may try reinstalling Yosemite again. So, I'm really not sure what corrected the problem, but it's gone - for now.

donaldkepler
Dec 22, 2014, 02:02 AM

It’s good that you are not facing this issue more now. Moreover, you could swipe the notification pop message, if that was not irritating or disturbing you.

Forum Links
Forum Rules