Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > The Minor Irritant Thread

The Minor Irritant Thread (Page 21)
subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 22, 2022, 05:11 PM

My personal favorite interpretation is even Italians get sick and tired of being surrounded by Italians and want a break once in awhile.

Am Italian.

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 22, 2022, 09:39 PM

I don’t think the local solo mask wearers are cognizant enough to consider the effort to doff/don the mask between stops. I classify most drivers (not just here) in two broad groups: cattle, and the living dead.

Cattle just follow the flow of traffic, whether it’s safe or not. They stay with the pack and scrunch it together. They do not notice other cars.

The living dead are visibly zoned out, staring blankly ahead. They are in whatever lane, going at least 5MPH slower than everyone else, and do not make any adjustments until shocked out of their zone. Like by the semi in front of them actually slowing down…. Not police cars or other emergency vehicles, not the idiot on the crotch rocket who’s doing 85MPH and freaking standing up on the seat in rush hour traffic,* none of that.

But now I have another group: the terrified. What are they terrified about? No clue (them or me). But they drive timidly, slower than everybody else, are hyper vigilant, and more often than not, they’re wearing a mask. Not cloth - a quality procedure mask or even an N95. These are the irritants in this case. Their fear makes them incredibly random, thus unpredictable and dangerous.

*Yes I actually saw that. IH410 at Ingram Rd. Headed southbound. Fortunately I was in a parking lot with a great view of the impending carnage. Amazingly, this kid (a male less than 25 years old from my vantage point) survived his stunt. That time, anyway.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Brien
Professional Poster
Jun 30, 2022, 07:51 PM

The fact that mobile versions of websites/applications are still so limited in functionality, in 2022, when most people’s primary computing device is some form of smart phone/tablet. Even more so when a website forcibly redirects to an app or stripped down mobile version. I mean, WTF?

Thorzdad
Jun 30, 2022, 10:24 PM

Sites that refuse to give me the desktop version of the site and force me to use the crap mobile version, even though I’m using an iPad with a large screen. You can bang on the Request Desktop Site option until your fingertips bleed, but you aren’t getting it.

andi*pandi
Jul 2, 2022, 03:30 PM

those sites: huh, using IOS? YOU MUST USE THE MOBILE SITE

reader50
Administrator
Jul 8, 2022, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
YouTube ads. They're now up to 3 ads at a time.

With short videos, it had already reached the point where the ads were sometimes longer than the video. That was with 2 ads per interlude.
An update on this. It appears the public won, cancelling out of too many ads. I haven't seen a 3-ad on YT for a couple weeks now.

Thorzdad
Jul 8, 2022, 05:41 PM

Instacart’s latest commercial uses No Diggedy as the music. I mean, did no one at either the ad agency or Instacart listen to the lyrics? I’m guessing they heard the lyric “i got to bag it up” and thought “hey! bags are used in grocery stores! perfect!”

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 8, 2022, 05:44 PM

I’m still waiting for Orange Crush to hit-up R.E.M.

Thorzdad
Jul 8, 2022, 11:45 PM

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 12, 2022, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
The company which makes all my home automation hardware looks to have gone belly-up. The dimmers pop every now and again, so once I’m out of spares, that’s it.

At least I have it all locally controlled. The cloud people are totally out of luck.
Some users bought the brand and are trying to restart it. I’m not exactly hopeful, but at least they’re trying.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 28, 2022, 04:03 PM

R.I.P. Choco-Taco.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 28, 2022, 04:15 PM

R.I.P. Choco-Taco.
From the Klondike website
Consumer Services
2 hours ago
Our team has heard loud and clear the outpouring of support for Choco Taco and is working hard to figure out what we can do.
https://www.klondikebar.com/us/en/pr...ice-cream.html
45/47

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 28, 2022, 05:30 PM

Inuit Pie should buy them.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Aug 2, 2022, 02:28 PM

Facebook is back at it.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 2, 2022, 02:44 PM

The melon on the table is a nice touch.

reader50
Administrator
Aug 2, 2022, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Facebook is back at it.
I'm not seeing any faces. Perhaps they could rename their service.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 2, 2022, 03:01 PM

Meta… thot?

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 3, 2022, 10:20 AM

I though it was “Facebook by Meta,” but that might just be a sound bite I heard.

andi*pandi
Aug 3, 2022, 11:31 AM

I know I always pay $$$ for a sponsored ad when I am selling used clothes.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Aug 15, 2022, 09:17 AM

This may be more of a major irritant, but I'm having a heck of a time with my son's Apple Watch. It's a cellular model on its own independent line from Verizon, set up via Family Setup independent of an iPhone. Calls go straight to the watch, it all works great.

He's going to start riding the bus home from school, so I want him to be able to open the garage door from his watch. We have a keypad and code so he can get in that way, but from the watch would be better.

I have my garage door on a smart device that's controlled from my phone, and they have a Watch app, great! Go to install it on his watch, won't install. "Requires iPhone." Its seems a lot of these third party apps require a watch be paired to a phone to allow installation.

Okay, well we have my wife's old iPhone 7 work phone lying around, let's pair it with that. So I unpair the watch and go through the whole process of setting it up paired to a phone. Takes probably 20 minutes to unpair, pair, and recover data from the latest backup. Now I can install the garage door app and it works to open and close the door! Great!

Oh wait, I can't make any calls from the watch now, the cellular plan doesn't work. Dig in and find out that you can't have different carriers for the phone and the watch. The phone is U.S. Cellular (unactivated, no plan), the watch is Verizon. Cellular is now disabled on the watch.

Can I fake it? I pulled the Verizon SIM from my wife's iPhone 11 and put it in the 7, then repeated the setup process, configuring it as paired with an iPhone. Everything went great until I tried to activate the Watch with Verizon. Verizon requires that if the watch has its own plan and phone number, it MUST be set up in Family Setup mode as an independent device. If you're pairing it with an iPhone, it HAS to share a phone number with the phone.

So then I go back and undo everything, re-setting it up as an independent device (oh wait the battery died, gotta start that all over again). Eventually got it back where I started, with the watch an independent device, but unable to open the garage.

So now I'm looking for native options, like a HomeKit-compatible opener. Except from what I can tell, Home is disabled on an independent Watch, so that won't even work.

https://www.reddit.com/r/HomeKit/com...p_apple_watch/

https://www.reddit.com/r/AugustSmart...p_with_family/

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads...mekit.2279207/

I'm open to any solution that doesn't involve me adding a $65/month phone to my plan just to get the watch paired with it and opening the garage door. I may just have to make him punch in the code like a joker.

Back in my day, my parents just had a doorbell button on the outer garage door frame that would open the garage so that anyone could do it...

andi*pandi
Aug 15, 2022, 02:42 PM

does the iphone 7 get wifi reception from outside the house? why not leave it as a non-cellular device and let the watch be verizon.

or, do you have a housekey?

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Aug 15, 2022, 02:45 PM

The iPhone does get wifi, but the whole point of the watch is not having a phone to use/lose. Same with a housekey - can't lose it if he doesn't have to carry it around. We've also looked at a smart lock on the front door with a keypad and/or wifi.
( Last edited by Laminar; Aug 16, 2022 at 08:28 AM. )

reader50
Administrator
Aug 15, 2022, 04:49 PM

If one has a nose ring, you can actually do something useful with it. Put the critical keys on that ring.

Should work for the belly-button ring people too. Might work for tongue rings, but eating your keys becomes a problem. Ear rings could work, but the keys would have to look similar.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 15, 2022, 05:07 PM

When Rick Nielsen from Cheap Trick had a beard he used to braid his house key into it.

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 16, 2022, 10:01 AM

Auto insurance claims, and rental car offices, are “weekday only” things. Dang it.

I got rear-ended on Friday evening, filed my claim online once I got home, but NOTHING could move forward until Monday morning. No rental car, no filling in the insurance with the stuff that wasn’t in their online claim form, nada.

They were all quite responsive Monday morning, but sitting around without a car all weekend is on the harsh end of “minor” irritant.

And yeah, the car "took some damage."
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RearSmall.jpg (52.9 KB, 198 views)
( Last edited by ghporter; Aug 16, 2022 at 10:10 AM. Reason: Added stuff.)

andi*pandi
Aug 16, 2022, 10:08 AM

gh: that is... bad. what if you'd needed to get to work?

The iPhone does get wifi, but the whole point of the watch is not having a phone to use/lose. Same with a housekey - can't lose it if he doesn't have to carry it around. We've also looked at a smart lock on the front door with a keypad and/or wifi.
I forget how old a kid..

how about a note in notes.app with the combo so he won't have to remember it?
( Last edited by andi*pandi; Aug 16, 2022 at 01:38 PM. )

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Aug 16, 2022, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
They were all quite responsive Monday morning, but sitting around without a car all weekend is on the harsh end of “minor” irritant.

And yeah, the car "took some damage."
Wow! What happened? It looks like you backed into a telephone pole at 60mph. Did someone hit you with the corner of their vehicle?

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
I forget how old a kid..

how about a note in notes.app with the combo so he won't have to remember it?
9 - not worried about remembering the code for the garage, but the keypad is high up and can be finicky. It still more reliable than the actual physical lock and key, though. We have a deadbolt and a doorknob and there is no consistency on which one (or both) we lock. And it's hard to tell from the key if you're locking or unlocking anything. I've used my key to get into the house like...four times in the 11 years we've lived here.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 16, 2022, 01:34 PM

I am on team never, ever lock the doorknob.

Deadbolt4lyfe.

andi*pandi
Aug 16, 2022, 01:40 PM

I think I gave the kids housekeys when they were around that age... but they rarely needed to use them.

We also have a key hidden in the yard.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 16, 2022, 01:48 PM

When I got locked out as a kid I’d go to the neighbors. They’d let me on the roof and I’d pop one of our top floor windows which were never locked.

I would have had keys at 9-10 because that’s when I started to take public transportation to school.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Aug 16, 2022, 01:56 PM

I am on team never, ever lock the doorknob.

Deadbolt4lyfe.
If we're leaving through the front door, locking the deadbolt would require stopping and using the key. It's easier to lock the doorknob from the inside and just shut the door.

When I got locked out as a kid I’d go to the neighbors. They’d let me on the roof and I’d pop one of our top floor windows which were never locked.

I would have had keys at 9-10 because that’s when I started to take public transportation to school.
I definitely did that growing up. I had coax and Appletalk cables snaking out my bedroom window, so it would barely close, and definitely wouldn't lock. My sister got locked out of her house once, I got on the roof but her windows were locked. I pulled out my Delta SkyMiles card and jimmied her front door just like the movies. More evidence for Team Deadbolt.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 16, 2022, 02:09 PM

If we're leaving through the front door, locking the deadbolt would require stopping and using the key.
This is precisely why. If you need a key to lock it, you can’t lock yourself out.

Along those lines, I used to live in an apartment with a back gate. The type which needed a key on both sides. Other people in the building couldn’t be arsed to lock it.

This used to irk the shit out of me because the keys needed to come out anyways to lock or unlock your own door. Just lock the fucking gate already.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 16, 2022, 02:31 PM

Similar to the gate, my ex used to leave her pants on the floor.

Now, I get being lazy. I also get not wanting to bend over to pick something up. My back is a disaster. I saw a scene in a movie recently where someone needed to bend down and get on their knees to fish something out of a curb drain. Just the prospect of that made me go “awwww, fuck”.

The thing is, there comes a point when taking off pants where you still have one foot a little inside a leg. Hook the pants with your foot, bend your knee, and lift the pants to your hand. There’s like zero effort involved.

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 16, 2022, 02:52 PM

Here’s what happened (Friday evening, about 8:20 PM): I was stopped at a stop sign, looking both ways before proceeding. Suddenly there was a huge noise and I was on the other side of the intersection, and this big freaking truck (maybe the headlights were on? I dunno) was rolling past me making a scraping sound.

Somebody going the opposite direction stopped, asked if I was OK, and called police and EMS. After the police arrived, the truck guy sort of continued to roll slowly along the road; two officers ran down the road and made him park in a lot past the site of the accident. I have no idea what else happened with him.

I phoned my wife - I was on my way to pick her up from work - and told her what happened. Her manager drove her to where I was, and once paperwork and towing were handled, the first officer gave us a ride home.

My “injuries” are limited to getting whacked in the eyebrow ridge with the steering wheel, and bumping my nose in the process. (OK, pedants, actually I whacked the wheel - when the car stopped at the median’s curb, I did not.)

So, what if I did have to get to work? Apparently the current theory is “they’ll get a ride somehow” rather than “this customer could be a surgeon that needs to get to the hospital tomorrow.” We sold my wife’s car a couple of years ago, since she was working from home, and since I wound up having to have my hip replaced last year, and her online job was winding down, we’ve been fine with one car.

Finally, this is a really crappy time to need a car. Used cars are close to the price of new cars, but new cars aren’t sitting on lots, waiting to be purchased. In our area, for our preferred brand and model, there is at least a 60 day wait for vehicles, and a lot of inbound vehicles are pre-sold. We’re looking at a low mileage 2021 version of the 2017 vehicle pictured above. Just waiting for the adjusters to stop gasping at the pictures and formally total the vehicle so we know how much the insurance will pay.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 16, 2022, 03:06 PM

Ouch! Neck okay? I got a pretty minor tap and three days later my neck was a mess.
( Last edited by subego; Aug 16, 2022 at 03:23 PM. )

reader50
Administrator
Aug 16, 2022, 03:30 PM

Most insurance will cover a rental for awhile. If you have trouble finding a rental car, take a trick from the tourists: rent a U-haul or other moving vehicle. Like a Penske truck. They're inconvenient to park, but rental "vehicles" remain available beyond the usual car rentals. There's also Uber and Lyft.

Depending on distance, weather, and riding skill - bicycles may be an option. Electric ones, if you can rent one, will drive you most of the way.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 16, 2022, 03:32 PM

I feel like GEICO does night/weekend claims.

Never dealt with rentals, but I imagine they could send me out to the airport for 24 hour service.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Aug 16, 2022, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
Just waiting for the adjusters to stop gasping at the pictures and formally total the vehicle so we know how much the insurance will pay.
As a rule they will low-ball you on what they offer. It's probably a "Replacement Cost Value" plan where they pay out what it would cost to replace the vehicle with one in similar condition (not a brand new version of the same thing). So they'll take some minimum value of the vehicle and toss it your way. Do your own research and collect as many comps as you can - identical year and model, similar features, and get actual cash-out-the-door pricing for vehicles in stock. You shouldn't have to front a couple of grand just to replace your vehicle with the same thing because someone else crashed into you and your insurance is using an outdated formula for value. When they first lowball you, push back with your comps. "No, I can't get a 2017 CR-V with 40,000 miles, leather seats, navigation, and AWD for $22,000. The current going rate is $26,000-$28,000 based on these numerous dealership quotes." Insurance companies make money by not paying out.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 17, 2022, 05:29 AM

Glad to hear nothing worse happened. Definitely get your neck looked at for whiplash, though. That can take a while to manifest and takes some physical therapy to work out (I speak from experience).

Over here, in cases like these, where there is an obvious 100% guilty party, that party's insurance will cover car rental until a new car is acquired (capped at some number of weeks), as well as legal fees. So the very first thing I do is call my lawyer. Back in 2010, he also immediately and routinely filed for damages due to whiplash — I didn't ask him to, as I didn't feel it necessary, but over time, it became clear that it was appropriate. Damages are more like 1500€ or so in this country, though, not $400,000.

This is a really, really shitty time to need to replace a car.

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 17, 2022, 05:12 PM

Yeah, no neck or back injuries. I was stopped, and when the vehicle was hit, the driver seat tilted backward, cushioning that fore. But when the car stopped (the front tire ran into a curb), I was still moving, so I flexed forward and bumped the steering wheel.

We're at the second stage of assessments. The shop that actually has the car is starting to do their assessments, either today or early tomorrow.

And every single step. of this is a more than minor irritant. Every. Single. Step. And it's additive, so the process has become a really BIG irritant.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 18, 2022, 01:08 PM

And so, the weekend of F-18s begins.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 18, 2022, 02:46 PM

Probably rates more than minor, but my neighborhood’s becoming pretty sketch.

A week ago, someone got shot outside my apartment. Had the walls not been as thick it would have zipped right through my office, which is where I was when it happened. Thankfully, it would have went over my head.

Then, last night, my bestie couldn’t get into his apartment though the back because of two people passed out in front of the gate. I read this morning they’re both dead from an OD.

Brien
Professional Poster
Aug 18, 2022, 11:17 PM

Time to move.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 19, 2022, 09:07 AM

Considering it.

Edit: so far, it’s only impacting me casually going out between midnight and 6, which I only used to do because I live near a 24-hour Walgreens.
( Last edited by subego; Aug 19, 2022 at 09:42 AM. )

andi*pandi
Aug 19, 2022, 10:37 AM

Still. Not great.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 19, 2022, 10:53 AM

That’s pretty much my city at the moment.

reader50
Administrator
Aug 20, 2022, 02:29 AM

My neighborhood is worse than it used to be. But we don't stumble over bodies at night.

If you must live in a war zone, perhaps wear a bullet-proof vest outside? And I'd expect a fantastic deal on your rent.

Don't get dead. We'd miss you.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 20, 2022, 04:25 AM

I have no immediate plans to die.

My landlord called the next day, I think partially to make sure I wasn’t going to freak on them.

Stumbling across bodies is common for my friend, but they’re usually not so close to expiration, just asleep. He’s in a perfect storm situation where since his building is old, it has the type of giant sheltered alcove they don’t build anymore because homeless people. Then, it’s at the intersection of three major streets, so this particular alcove is in high demand.

These weren’t regulars though, who never block the gate. Normally dressed twentysomethings who stumbled upon one of the better places to try and ride it out.

Not much shooting there. Too many cameras. Where I live is more secluded. Not much shooting here either honestly, but robberies and carjackings.

I’m not particularly worried at this point because generally speaking I make a poor target. I’m 6’, dress like I’m broke, and no one carjacks a cargo van. An imperfect defense, but enough for now.

As an aside, nearing 20 years ago when I moved in, within the first few months one Michael Jackson, a resident of the building, murdered a cabbie with his own cab. I saw the cab back up and pull forward a couple times, but (pretty thankfully) couldn’t see the front of it from where I was standing.
( Last edited by subego; Aug 20, 2022 at 03:12 PM. )

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 20, 2022, 03:45 PM

I’m trying to get my dad to use his iPhone and it’s somewhat akin to teaching language to a feral child. He never had the immersion training.

The flip side is I’m so used to it I’m a horrible teacher. I can just do what I need to do on the phone without thinking because I’ve been doing it for over a decade. I also derive pleasure from figuring out technology. My dad most sincerely does not.

My plan right now is to focus on just one thing, which at the moment is using it to order dinner.

Thorzdad
Aug 21, 2022, 02:31 PM

How old is your dad, subego?

Forum Links
Forum Rules