Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Getting Error Code - 50 when trying to connect to server.

Getting Error Code - 50 when trying to connect to server.
blues02
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 7, 2005, 10:30 AM

Hello.

Over the weekend I updated my Windows 2k box to WinXP Pro. So I reset all the networking stuff to the old settings. ICS works, so does Software Update on the mac, somethign that didn't work with 2k. So I go to 'Connect To Server' to mount the drives of the XP machine and I keep getting error code -50. What does this mean? I tried shutting down the firewall on the XP machine to no effect.

Plus, is there a way to get OS X to automatically mount the XP drives on startup?

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 7, 2005, 11:39 AM

The machines may not be on the same subnet anymore, like in the thread I just responded to. I do not offhand know what error -50 means. To have your Mac connect to a server automatically, first select the server's icon and choose Make Alias from the File menu. Then open System Preferences, click on Accounts, and then click on the Startup Items button (which really should be named Login Items, but whatever. . .). Finally, drag and drop the alias you made on to list field.
( Last edited by Big Mac; Mar 7, 2005 at 11:45 AM. )

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

blues02  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 8, 2005, 10:37 AM

both subnets are set to 255.255.255.0 so that's not it. The mac is using DHCP and it gets the IP and stuff from the XP box. It's getting the right IP setup, 192.168.0.x and the subnet shows good. I just can't find out what the error code means. They should put a damn document in there that tells what these codes stand for.

It's funny, the ICS works better now than it did with Win2k but the drive sharing doesn't work at all now!

blues02  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 9, 2005, 05:25 PM

A new strange update. I use iTunes on the PC and the mac. My buying and storage and stuff is all on the PC since it has my burner. Well the iTunes copy on the mac will play and see the songs on the PC but I still get error code -50 if I try to connect to server.

Update - I figured it out. It was something stupid. Move along...nothing to see here.
( Last edited by blues02; Mar 10, 2005 at 09:45 AM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules