Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Has anyone had to use their iPod AppleCare?

Has anyone had to use their iPod AppleCare?
MikeD
Mac Elite
Jan 4, 2006, 12:52 AM

I think I may have to use mine (I actually forgot that I had gotten it). My iPod photo 60gb today just refused to turn on after work today for my commute home. I thought the battery was drained somehow during work (Maybe I left it playing all day with the backlight on?). I tried everything to get it to work before heading home - resetting the device, plugging and unplugging the cassette tape adapter into the headphone port, switching the hold switch on and off, all to no avail. Oh well, I'll just plug it in at home...

Well, plugged it in and... nothing... It looks like it's dead and it seems like there is nothing I can do. But I did remember that it's under Apple Care and was wondering what other people have experienced with the AppleCare service on iPods. The iPod was purchased in June of 2005 so it can't be the battery... I dunno... Just looking for some insight or perhaps encouragement

eh.. oh well

Mike
2009 MacMini 2.0 C2D 4GB (3,1) - Needs update!
11" MBA (2010 1.6GHz C2D)
iPhone 4 / iPad!
Hooked on Apple since the IIGS

HazelGirl
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 4, 2006, 01:25 AM

you're scaring me! you are making me think i shoudl spring for the $47 applecare (student discount) for my new baby nano.
Mac Mini G4 1.33 Ghz:40GBhf, 512MBRAM, 32MBVRAM
MBP 15.4' 2.33Ghz:160GBhd, 2GBRAM, 256MBVRAM
iMac 24' 2.4 Ghz, 300GBhd, 2GBRAM, 256MBVRAM
80GB iPod Classic (black)

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 4, 2006, 04:01 AM

I can't remember for sure if it was within the normal warranty or if it was during the additional year of coverage provided by Applecare (it's 2 years total, not 2 additional years) but I did get a replacement for my 3G iPod. I also had the battery replaced. I think might be worth getting, especially since you can sometimes get it at a discount from online retailers who sell the boxed Appelcare plans.

production_coordinator
Mac Elite
Jan 4, 2006, 10:42 AM

It's not worth it to me... I would rather just buy new when mine dies (granted, mine is over a year old)... at that time, I may want something different.

demibob
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 4, 2006, 10:46 AM

my ipod mini broke but its still under a year old
i bought it when abroad and i dont have a reciept or a box so i cant return it

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 4, 2006, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by demibob
my ipod mini broke but its still under a year old
i bought it when abroad and i dont have a reciept or a box so i cant return it
Did you register it when you bought?
Nemo me impune lacesset

demibob
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 4, 2006, 04:24 PM

dont think so

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 4, 2006, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by production_coordinator
It's not worth it to me... I would rather just buy new when mine dies (granted, mine is over a year old)... at that time, I may want something different.
You'd rather spend another $300 - $400 than spend $60 to possibly get a new one (which you can then sell to get a new model, should you so desire)? Applecare is transferrable to the new owner, as well. I'm not saying that it's the best choice in every case, but I don't understand your logic.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 4, 2006, 05:54 PM

double post

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 24, 2006, 06:35 PM

I have an original "green" iPod mini that has no battery life left. AppleCare will cover the repair; however, my question is more about if Apple will simply install a new battery for me, or replace the unit all together? I cannot imagine they have many of this model in "reserve" any longer.

Anybody know?
( Last edited by rickey939; Jan 24, 2006 at 09:01 PM. )

rickray1
Jan 25, 2006, 01:55 AM

I used the Apple care. It worked out great. I got a replacement ipod in a couple of days.
Drink PepsiOne ! It tastes GREAT!

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 27, 2006, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by rickey939
I have an original "green" iPod mini that has no battery life left. AppleCare will cover the repair; however, my question is more about if Apple will simply install a new battery for me, or replace the unit all together? I cannot imagine they have many of this model in "reserve" any longer.

Anybody know?
Apple is shipping the original unit back to me unrepaired. They state the iPod does not need service. Umm, excuse me Apple...when you get less than 3 hours battery life and AppleCare documentation states anything less than 50% of the original specs (which were 8 hours brand-new) qualifies for battery replacement. Arrggh! They are probably running some weird test on it and if it passes, so be it. In the "real world", the battery is weak.

TheSpaz
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 27, 2006, 12:37 PM

I brought my 3G iPod to Apple because the battery sucked... I was only getting about 2 hours of life out of a full charge... It was no longer under warranty. I brought it to an actual Apple Store and said "Look, my battery only lasts 2 hours". So they said... okay and took it. Then they called me the NEXT DAY saying my new iPod was available to pick it up. It was the same model and it was completely scratch free... and no visible defects... pretty good deal for $59 eh?

I bought AppleCare for my iPod Nano and haven't had to use it... but, I'm selling the Nano to a co-worker with the AppleCare included.

I now have a 5G iPod (the infamous Video iPod) and I did not buy AppleCare for it... but, I have a full year to get AppleCare... so I probably will someday.

Forum Links
Forum Rules