Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Feedback > Topics wont show

Topics wont show
rickray1
Aug 15, 2002, 01:37 AM

Using my powerbook with IE 5.2.1 and OS 10.1 and when I look at this message board, the "topics" wont show. I have no idea what the thread is. Everything else I can see, just the "topics" are blank.

Works fine on my desktop, I see topics.

What gives? Maybe it's a old question, but I did a search and came up empty

R
Drink PepsiOne ! It tastes GREAT!

G-mac
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 15, 2002, 03:14 AM

Hi,

I'm not really sure what the problem is, but have you upgraded to 10.1.5 yet? Also, make sure you have the latest downloads for flash, etc. Probably should all be included in the latest version of X. Also, maybe certain 3rd party software conflicts with 10.1? Hope you solve the problem!

rickray1  (op)
Aug 15, 2002, 02:16 PM

Must be a conflict somewhere. Maybe it's the new AOL???
I have both the current OS X and IE. No odd programs are installed either. I thought somehwere, someone else might be experiencing this problem too.

Sven G
Professional Poster
Aug 19, 2002, 05:45 AM

It may be some ad blocking feature of some third party software you have installed: in my case (same symptoms: no topics!), it was Norton Privacy Control, which was installed with the Norton Internet Security suite; disabling the ad blocking feature solved the problem.

(BTW, nobody has yet explained why such an ad blocking feature makes the topics list blank in vBulletin...)

gorgonzola
Admin Emeritus
Aug 19, 2002, 02:26 PM

Originally posted by Sven G:
It may be some ad blocking feature of some third party software you have installed: in my case (same symptoms: no topics!), it was Norton Privacy Control, which was installed with the Norton Internet Security suite; disabling the ad blocking feature solved the problem.

(BTW, nobody has yet explained why such an ad blocking feature makes the topics list blank in vBulletin...)
That's because nobody has any clue. We're going to ask both parties what the devil is going on, but we're in the middle of organizing a major server move, so we can't do that right now.
"Do not be too positive about things. You may be in error." (C. F. Lawlor, The Mixicologist)

rickray1  (op)
Aug 25, 2002, 08:55 AM

That worked !!!!

Why Norton does that is a complete mystery.
Thanks for solving my problem. You guys are the BEST!

Sven G
Professional Poster
Aug 26, 2002, 03:08 AM

FYI, I just found a Symantec support page with information on this issue:

http://service4.symantec.com/SUPPORT...02040413380011

"Unable to read messages on some web-based online bulletin forums with Norton Privacy Control enabled

Situation:
You are viewing a web-based bulletin board which is powered by vBulletin from Jelsoft Enterprises. You can select an individual forum on the board, but when you get to the message view of the forum, you cannot view or select the individual messages and replies. You have Norton Privacy Control (NPC) Ad Blocking enabled.

Solution:
As a workaround, disable Ad Blocking in Norton Privacy Control to view these particular web-based bulletin boards. To do this, launch NPC and uncheck "Enable ad blocking" in the Ad Blocking tab. When you have finished viewing these bulletin boards, check "Enable ad blocking" to continue blocking ads on other pages.

Symantec is investigating this problem. The cause is unknown, and there is no solution at this time. This document will be updated when new information becomes available or a solution is found."

... So let's hope they'll find a solution...

Sven G
Professional Poster
Oct 2, 2002, 02:09 AM

Problem solved! The forums are usable again with the new version of Norton Privacy Control (1.0.2), available through LiveUpdate.

The freedom of all is essential to my freedom. - Mikhail Bakunin

Forum Links
Forum Rules