Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Airline Disaster Talk

Airline Disaster Talk
subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 19, 2022, 08:13 AM

I know at least a couple people are into this.

Excellent write-up of TWA 800. That was the one in 1996, where a 747 blew up not long after takeoff, and everyone thought it was shot down by a missile. Long, but excellent.

https://admiralcloudberg.medium.com/...0-fecfd651a157

Tl;dr

( Last edited by subego; Jun 19, 2022 at 08:48 AM. )

reader50
Administrator
Jun 19, 2022, 12:29 PM

I presume you have booked a flight to somewhere in the near future. And this is like swapping ghost stories right before everyone goes to bed.

Short answer - don't worry about it. Everyone usually dies in a plane crash. But they're really rare. Your life is in good ... odds.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 19, 2022, 01:07 PM

No flights planned!

Honestly I’m into airline disasters because I like designing systems, and most airline disasters are very interesting studies of system failure.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 19, 2022, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
No flights planned!

Honestly I’m into airline disasters because I like designing systems, and most airline disasters are very interesting studies of system failure.
I concur. Also, fascinating piecework trying to reconstruct what went wrong from the absurdest details.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 19, 2022, 06:26 PM

This one is full of that.

Interestingly, several examples of situations where enough was blown to shit they had to start looking at other 747s, and realized there was dangerous shit going on with almost the entire fleet, it just hadn’t caused a catastrophe for any of those yet.

OreoCookie
Jun 19, 2022, 08:09 PM

There are a few very good Youtube channels dedicated to that. Here are a few I like:

Airspace: This pilot of a Swiss airline started a Youtube channel during Covid. He has a good balance between going into details and keeping things understandable, doesn't overdramatize things and makes very tight videos.
Mentour Pilot: He is line training captain and very Youtube-savvy. Great content, although the videos tend to be 25-30 minutes rather than 12ish.
Fly with Magnar: this guy is amazing, he goes into a lot of detail for some crashes. If you ever wondered how to start an ATR turbo prop or so, this is your man.
Greed Dot Aviation:

One that is meh (the Youtuber doesn't have an engineering or piloting background :

Mini Air Crash Investigation
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 19, 2022, 11:14 PM

I ultimately prefer reading to watching YouTube for consumption of this type of material, and for those who are the same, everything Cloudberg does is top notch.

https://admiralcloudberg.medium.com/

Forum Links
Forum Rules