Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > whats better, 15 or 17?

whats better, 15 or 17?
lAwrencex
Forum Regular
Oct 12, 2004, 12:16 PM

i need opnions quick. im making my purchase today. it's either a rev a 17 inch for $1879, a rev a 15 for $1499 or a rev b 15 for $1799. all refurbished by mac res q. can anyone steer me in a direction, i'm at such a loss right now.

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Oct 12, 2004, 01:00 PM

Neither,

Now how's that for an answer.

Basically, one is not better then the other. Both are excellent machines that fit a role. Do you plan on traveling a lot with this? The 17" is a little large to use it on a coach flight and carrying it will go old fast. Is this desktop replacement? if so then the 17" with is suprior lcd real estate is better.

for my, I found the 15" to suit my needs the best. Traveling, its not too heavy, works well within the airline seats. while big enough for me to work on the couch and surf ala' airport.

Mike

Randman
Posting Junkie
Oct 12, 2004, 03:03 PM

rev b, though I prefer 17s over a 15.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

gostan
Oct 12, 2004, 06:01 PM

I really enjoy my 15, but I am considering purchasing a 20" or 23" Apple Cinema Display for my desk at work. Would a 17er satisfy my larger screen desktop requirements? No, not when there is a 20 or 23" option albeit a much more expensive option. The 17 is not that much larger than a 15, but I for one would not want to tote it back and forth to work and home each and every day.
24" Intel Core 2 Duo IMac 2.4 Ghz
15.4"/2.4 GHZ MacBook Pro

shabbasuraj
Mac Elite
Oct 12, 2004, 09:48 PM

17" = eye candy
15" = normal
12" = freakishly small

Personally I would never by q 15" as I find it mundane.

There is just some untangible trait that makes me rather own a 17" or a 12"...

Thus I own a 12"...
blabba5555555555555555555555555555555555555

mgehman
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 12, 2004, 10:01 PM

Having owned both a 15" and a 17" I can tell you. If you are looking for a desktop replacement, the 17 is the way to go. Plus it offers as was stated in a previous post, a certain appeal for its shear size. If you are going to travel, as I do,the 15 is the way to go. You can use it in coach without a problem. You also will not develop scoliosis, ruptured disk, arthritis, or hernia, as the 15 is considerably lighter ~2lbs lighter. I liked my 17, I love my 15. Hope this helps
"The day Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck is probably the day they start making vacuum cleaners."
- Ernst Jan Plugge
MacBook Pro 2.33GHzDC 3GB RAM

davisrg
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 12, 2004, 10:06 PM

Originally posted by shabbasuraj:
17" = eye candy
15" = normal
12" = freakishly small

Personally I would never by q 15" as I find it mundane.

There is just some untangible trait that makes me rather own a 17" or a 12"...

Thus I own a 12"...
Same here ... I agree 100% .... I have seen (working for an AASP) more problems with 15's than any other model ... go with a 17 or a 12 with a cinema display...

and remember, 12's and 17's were designed by the same team at Apple ... 15's were NOT .... it's like an odd child that just doesn't fit in with its smaller and bigger brothers.

Just my 2 cents.
PowerBook G4 12-inch 1.5GHz/1.25GB/80GB/SD
Apple Certifications: ACPT, ACDT

MrForgetable
Mac Elite
Oct 12, 2004, 10:32 PM

Originally posted by davisrg:
Same here ... I agree 100% .... I have seen (working for an AASP) more problems with 15's than any other model ... go with a 17 or a 12 with a cinema display...

and remember, 12's and 17's were designed by the same team at Apple ... 15's were NOT .... it's like an odd child that just doesn't fit in with its smaller and bigger brothers.

Just my 2 cents.
i haven't had any major problems with the 15 inch Powerbook.

The problem is that I don't have enough money for a 12 inch with Cinema or enough money for a too big, too powerful computer for my needs. I don't need much more than 1280x854 but I cannot live with only 1024s768.

The 15 inch is the sweet spot in the Powerbook line for those who don't need the ultra portability, would like a bigger and better screen than the 12 inch (Cinema's are expensive, you know, $1731+$1406=$3137 for a base model 12 inch with the cheapest Cinema! ) but smaller than the 17 inch. To me who only has a 15 inch LCD running at 1024x768 (it is 4 years old, it is dying), figured a 15 inch would make life much easier (and better on the eyes by a little) since this would be my desktop replacement. it cost a lot less than what I would have paid for everything else. (i got the base model 15 inch for $1850 so maybe that's why the price gap is so big for me) So far it hasn't dissapointed. Plus I got a nice backlit keyboard which is worth it just for the bling factor.

iamwhor3hay

Crusoe
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 12, 2004, 10:45 PM

I had a 15" Ti, bought a 15" AL cause I was too poor for a 17". Once the 17"ers hit the refurb on Apple store, I swiped one up. Carrying weight is easy, coach travel was tight even with an empty seat next to me. I travel all over with my 17" but mostly by train. I found the 15" quality and design to be substandard, bad screen house design, creaking palm rests, bad trim alignment, not only on mine but a few others I've encountered which leads me to believe it's common.

I couldn't imagine going to any res less than 1440x900 ever again.
If a group of mimes are miming a forest and one falls down, does he make a sound?

brettcamp
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 14, 2004, 02:27 AM

Originally posted by davisrg:

Just my 2 cents.
Hmm, I didn't realize that. I know the aluminum 15" came out later than the other two, but why the difference in design teams? How does the 15" design etc. differ from the other two, besides the obvious screen size difference?

Forum Links
Forum Rules