Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Team MacNN > Linux on PPC

Linux on PPC
Penguirl
Forum Regular
Mar 25, 2010, 04:06 AM

I run 17 BOINC projects on OS X but I'm pretty sure that only a few are supported on PPC running Ubuntu/Debian. As far as I know SETI, Simap, MilkyWay, and SuperlinkAtTechnion support PPC Linux, are there any others? Is there a db somewhere I can refer to?

Thank you,
Tina
( Last edited by Penguirl; Mar 25, 2010 at 04:13 AM. )

beadman
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 29, 2010, 08:37 AM

I know of this one http://homepage.mac.com/zombie67/BOINC_Projects.html but I don't know when it was last updated. There's also Distributed Computing - Active Projects but it doesn't mention platform; you'd have to look at each project.

beadman

Penguirl  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 31, 2010, 01:45 PM

Thanks beadman, it looks like it would be easier after all to just attach to all 17 of my projects lol.

On another note, I installed Ubuntu on my G4 iMac and BOINC was crunching work for SETI, albeit slowly. Then I managed to muck up the system, and wanting to try Kubuntu I decided to start from scratch with a fresh install. Now I can't get any work for BOINC at all, I just get the message "Message from server: platform 'powerpc-linux-gnu' not found"

I know that SETI, SIMAP, and SuperlinkAtTechnion are supposed to support PPC and I think that Milkyway does too. Does anyone have any idea what might have changed and how to correct it?

Muchos gracias amigos.

reader50
Administrator
Mar 31, 2010, 03:13 PM

First guess is Ubuntu supplied slightly different machine ID text. With the system wiped though, you'd have to reinstall to find out, since most people don't keep spare partitions around like I do. Or someone currently using PPC Ubuntu could check their ID text.

arkayn
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 31, 2010, 03:50 PM

It should be the same underlying kernel no matter what, Kubuntu uses the KDE desktop and Ubuntu uses the Gnome desktop.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Mar 31, 2010, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
First guess is Ubuntu supplied slightly different machine ID text. With the system wiped though, you'd have to reinstall to find out, since most people don't keep spare partitions around like I do. Or someone currently using PPC Ubuntu could check their ID text.
Why keep spare partitions around when you can just recreate your partition map use gparted without losing data?

reader50
Administrator
Mar 31, 2010, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Why keep spare partitions around when you can just recreate your partition map use gparted without losing data?
And I have iPartition to change things on the fly too. I keep spare partitions for alternate OS installs. Makes it much simpler to reboot into Tiger for a few games, or to do compatibility testing in a clean OS install not used on a daily basis.

Back on topic, please.

Penguirl  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 31, 2010, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
I think arkayn is right that it should be the same, but since it's not a big deal to install and uninstall Gnome I can give that a try jic.

I hope that it isn't the case because I much prefer KDE to Gnome, but I don't like the two jumbled together.

Penguirl  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 1, 2010, 02:17 PM

So I uninstalled KDE (Kubuntu) and reinstalled Gnome (Ubuntu) and got the same server message regarding powerpc-linux-gnu not found. In going back to KDE two of the many bugs struck again and so I pulled the plug. Linux will have to wait until I build an x86 box, it's OS X on PPC for me.

Thanks for your help guys, glad to see you all are still here!

Forum Links
Forum Rules