Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Moving from Ti to Al

Moving from Ti to Al
zacharie
Mar 3, 2003, 02:00 PM

Dear Powerbook users,
I appreciate the use of my Ti800DVI and use it a lot but maybe not for what it is intended since I hardly use very CPU intensive applications like Photoshop and so on...In fact, I spend much of my time with Office app, Internet browsers, iTunes, Realplayer, AudioHijack app, and my Nikon scanner to import photographs.
I don't even use the DVI port nor the pcmcia slot.
I don't appreciate the lack of conveniency that my laptop brings since I doubt its mobility and ease of use off the desk [hatches fragility, paint, bending screen...].
I have waited for quite a long time before choosing between an iBook and my powerbook and finally went for the TiBook. With the Powerbook 12' arrival, I'm considering switching to the Al book because it might be better for my true needs and computer use.
I was wondering if migrating from the Ti800 DVI to the 12' powerbook is a stupid move ? I would appreciate your comments and advices.
Thank you. Zacharie.

butter71
Forum Regular
Mar 3, 2003, 02:28 PM

Originally posted by zacharie:
I was wondering if migrating from the Ti800 DVI to the 12' powerbook is a stupid move ?
it really depends on your usage.

i often consider dumping my 15" for a smaller machine when i'm travelling, but then i talk myself out of it when i'm around the house.

my ideal would be to have the 12" for the road and the 17" for the home. too bad the hard drives are not easily swappable between the two.

smick
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 3, 2003, 02:44 PM

I had been using a TiG4/400 since they came out a while ago. While the machine never had any problems, I didn't feel completely confident in its mobility. It seemed a bit flimsy to me, and I found myself not really taking advantage of its' portability.

Then the 12" PBs came out. I was the first person at my Atlanta Apple Store to buy one. And I'm glad I did. This machine almost never leaves my side. I find myself using it all the time, and for things I never would use my TiBook for. I'm a writer, so the apps I use most are Word, Safari, Entourage, Final Draft and iTunes. But in my spare time I like to play around with video, so I've also got FInalCut Express loaded on my 12".

Everything works, and without a hiccup. Speed is fine, for me. But I understand that there's a tradeoff to be made between speed and portability. My machine isn't the fastest, but I know I made the right choice for myself.

Oh, and using my T68i as a GPRS Bluetooth Modem is extremely cool.

--Steve

swsteckly
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 3, 2003, 02:45 PM

According to Apple's manual, the HD is not supposed to be 'user-servicable' in the 17". I'm sure we'll get some pictorials about how to open it up, but evidently it is complex enough that Apple doesn't include instructions.

It all depends on your usage. I am selling (or have sold)a Ti 800 for a 17". I rarely use the 'book outside of the house, and if I do, it's in the car or in someone else's house. I don't travel enough for it to have a say in my computer choice.

You'll have to make up your own mind, I suppose.

butter71
Forum Regular
Mar 3, 2003, 05:07 PM

Originally posted by swsteckly:
I'm sure we'll get some pictorials about how to open it up
true.

by easily swappable, i meant swapping the drive out of one and into the other every time you switch between "at home" and "on the road".

in a couple years when memorystick/compact flash/etc reach price/speeds similar to hard drives, i imagine we will see something like this.

(it's a homage to NeXT's idea with the optical drive.)

ARENA
Mac Elite
Mar 3, 2003, 07:06 PM

Originally posted by butter71:
true.

by easily swappable, i meant swapping the drive out of one and into the other every time you switch between "at home" and "on the road".

in a couple years when memorystick/compact flash/etc reach price/speeds similar to hard drives, i imagine we will see something like this.

(it's a homage to NeXT's idea with the optical drive.)
I think a portable FW HDD like the Cutie DX would be the solution.

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 3, 2003, 07:43 PM

The 867-megahertz PowerBook is going to be slower. I would recommend keeping your 15-inch PowerBook until the 12-inch PowerBook is updated in about six months.

claughery
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 3, 2003, 08:53 PM

I actualy went from a gig Ti to a ALbook.. I bought the 12 as a second computer, but chose to only use the 12...
It's fast and very sweet!
No regrets...
Dual 1.8 G5, 23" cinema oldschool, PB 1.5 ghz 12" SD, iBook 1.07 Ghz, mac mini 1.42, iPod mini, iPod photo 40gb, SE K700i

penmanila
Mar 3, 2003, 09:10 PM

i've also moved from a tibook to an albook, and miss absolutely nothing. the albook is more solidly constructed, and should handle and wear better over time.

someone mentioned HD swaps--there already is a take-apart on the 'net, for getting at the HD, but this will VOID your warranty on the albook; interestingly, it won't void your warranty on the tibook, where the HD is considered user-serviceable (i've done it a few times, and it's not all that difficult; the albook take-apart is a bit more daunting, though less so than the 2400c).
AlBook 867 640/60/Combo/APE
iBook 500 320/10/CD/AP
2400c 180 80/18/Wi-Fi
Tons of Duos, Anything Mac and Small!

zacharie  (op)
Mar 5, 2003, 05:20 AM

Thanks for your precious comments and advices.
zacharie

Forum Links
Forum Rules