Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Star Wars: The Force Unleased

Star Wars: The Force Unleased
klb5090
Mac Elite
Sep 13, 2008, 01:23 PM

Downloaded the demo on XBLM a few days back and seems promising, i'll wait for the final review from IGN/Gamespot but if the demo is any indication it could the first good star wars game since KOTR.

Anyone else play the demo or thinking about a purchase?

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Sep 13, 2008, 05:43 PM

The only thing I can get it for is iPod touch, so I'll play it that way. I've played the PS3 demo at a friend's house and I looove it. I'm a hardcore Star Wars fan, but I'm not naive enough to realize that there have been a lot of dumb games that did nothing to further the franchise. I am seriously considering a PS3 just because of this game and Blu-Ray.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Sep 13, 2008, 10:16 PM

Downloaded the 360 demo - it's a fine game. Camera sucks and the controls aren't too great, but it was OK. My problem was that it was way too easy on every single difficulty except for the hardest, and that one was too tedious to be fun. And the quicktime event boss battle was horrible.

If it had come out a few months ago, I definitely would have bought it. But with all the badass games coming out right now I probably won't get this until it hits $30 or so.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Sep 17, 2008, 07:02 PM

Anybody got it? I have it for iPhone and like it a lot. Very well made.

starman
Clinically Insane
Sep 18, 2008, 08:54 AM

I have it. Not impressed.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 18, 2008, 08:58 AM

I heard the amount of gameplay was ridiculously low. 6 - 8 hours.

Also, the powers you had in the demo were what you'd have pretty far into the game.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Sep 18, 2008, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by Dakar V View Post
I heard the amount of gameplay was ridiculously low. 6 - 8 hours.

Also, the powers you had in the demo were what you'd have pretty far into the game.
I've heard about the powers you get, and the demo doesn't come close to having them all. But I also heard that it was short.

I've also been told to skip the 360 version if you have a PS3 - there are some graphical issues with the 360 version (screen tearing).

All glory to the hypnotoad.

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Sep 19, 2008, 01:16 PM

The reviews I've been reading have been less then stellar, such as msnbc

My question is, how can a company release a game, w/o testing it. The issue with the camera angles, the lack of a good plot, or at least a character development. The plot is great, I downloaded the demo, perhaps I'll stick with that, given the bad reviews.
~Mike

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Sep 19, 2008, 04:00 PM

His complaints are you can't use Vader the entire game, no online, and the time frame. All things that were announcement when it was first shown. He could have saved himself a lot of time reading about it before it shipped, but hey to each their own.

I'm having a blast with it personally. Only issue I have is it take a bit to get used to the camera when trying to grab things to throw in the middle of chaos. I've found, personally, they way they do reviews these days it's usually better to judge for yourself.

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Sep 19, 2008, 05:39 PM

The camera issues does seem to be sore spot for many gamers. The cost of these games, is such that when I start seeing a number of bad reviews, either user reviews or "official" type reviews I'll pass on the game. Ars did a review of the game as well and panned the play as well.
~Mike

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Sep 19, 2008, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by Maflynn View Post
The cost of these games, is such that when I start seeing a number of bad reviews, either user reviews or "official" type reviews I'll pass on the game. Ars did a review of the game as well and panned the play as well.
I know what you mean, and this is why I think EVERY game should have a demo.

selowitch
Mac Elite
Sep 19, 2008, 10:25 PM

We got the Wii version. My ten-year-old likes it, but will probably be bored of it soon. To me, it's pretty much a Star-Wars flavored rehashed of a pretty unremarkable and predictable chop-em-up. I'm pretty disappointed. Oh, and squeezing so much death and so many momentous events into the period between Episodes III and IV really strains credibility. On the other hand, we're supposed to believe that Death Star 1.0 took some eighteen years to build while Death Star 2.0 took less than a year to go online (albeit in structurally unfinished form).

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Sep 27, 2008, 12:15 PM

The first Death Star took so long because it was made secretly. It took years just to allocate material to build it. The Empire couldn't risk the Rebellion finding out about it until it was 100% operational. The Rebellion found out about the second Death Star right after the Battle of Hoth, and mostly because they were rushing it and sending a lot of material to nowhere very rapidly.

MattJeff
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 27, 2008, 04:54 PM

Woo seahawks! ^^

I am very surprised at the reviews of this game. I was super stoked about it before but lack of PC support and cracked out gameplay has made me say no.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Sep 27, 2008, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by MattJeff View Post
Woo seahawks! ^^

I am very surprised at the reviews of this game. I was super stoked about it before but lack of PC support and cracked out gameplay has made me say no.
1-2 baby!

selowitch
Mac Elite
Sep 27, 2008, 05:50 PM

It's just a very blah game. Nothing special, just a fairly typical first-person-shooter with a not-very-compelling lightstaber-and-Force variation. Also, it really strains plot credibility that the Emperor wouldn't know that Vader had taken an apprentice or that Vader would lead the slaughter of hundreds of Wookiees at Kashyyyk without impacting future history. There's evil, and then there's Hitlerian, eliminationist, genocidal evil -- and when Darth Vader is more like the latter, he's a less interesting and less sympathetic character in my view. Does dumping your master over a rail out of self-interest (and a desire to protect your own progeny) really redemptive of all that?

Ryknow215
Oct 3, 2008, 06:53 AM

Just a fairly typical first-person-shooter
It's been a while since I've played the XBL demobut isn't Force Unleashed a third person adventure game? Were there battle rifles that I missed?
21.5" iMac | OS X 10.6.4 | 3.06 GHz | 4GB DDR3
Motorola Droid | 2.2 Froyo
Playing together nicely!

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Oct 3, 2008, 07:39 AM

I've been playing the demo and so far I've enjoyed the game. I'm not sure if I want to plunk down 60 bucks for the game. I'm not a hard core gamer nor ferverent star wars fan, so the story line and how it fits into the movies matters little to me.
~Mike

Big-C
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 3, 2008, 11:29 AM

I feel out of place from what seems like a lot of negative reviews out there, but I will say that I'm really enjoying the game. I have the xbox version (in case that matters), and I'm not a hard core gamer. I've only got to the third mission, but again, I think it was worth the money.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Oct 3, 2008, 12:13 PM

I am having a blast with it myself. Overall though, I like the story, action and characters a lot. The interaction with the environment is really done well. The only issue I have is the camera can get you sometimes when the action gets chaotic at times, as long as I don't get stuck in a wall, I can deal with it.

Rumor
Oct 3, 2008, 04:24 PM

I was playing it on my roommates 360, and was having fun with it. Was being keyword since my roommates 360 died and has been sent in for repair.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 3, 2008, 11:44 PM

This game came out for every platform, except Mac. Hell, you can play it on the friggin' iPhone but not the Mac.

selowitch
Mac Elite
Oct 4, 2008, 01:31 AM

Originally Posted by lpkmckenna View Post
This game came out for every platform, except Mac. Hell, you can play it on the friggin' iPhone but not the Mac.
Coming soon from LucasArts ... Star Wars: The Force Unleashed for Apple TV! Just kidding. But no worries. You're not missing much. The game is pretty dull.

SebNoker
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 24, 2008, 06:34 AM

Playing Star Wars Galaxies right now,....i was disappointed...

marclapierre13
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 30, 2008, 09:01 PM

I like this game, its awesome. Its like god of war, but star wars.

Forum Links
Forum Rules