Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > New Macbook vs. New Macbook Pro

New Macbook vs. New Macbook Pro
applesbiggestfan
Forum Regular
Oct 21, 2008, 12:49 PM

This is a post about the laptop being future proof.

I'm getting one of the new macbooks or macbooks pros in about 2 weeks.

And I don't know which one to chose... the macbook is smaller and lighter than the MBP but not as fast.
and the Macbook Pro is extremely fast, has an awesome graphics card, but its big and expensive.

Should I spend a LOT of money on the Macbook Pro because it's future-proof (so fast it will survive many years before becoming obsolete), or the Macbook because it small and light and all Mac's are naturally fast.

I don't play too many graphics intensive games and the Macbook has a good enough graphics card for me, but I want to be able to run Safari, Frostwire, and Vuze... and some other stuff at the same time.

I'll be using the laptop for multi-tasking, school work, downloading stuff, video games, surfing the internet.

Which one is best for me? MB or MBP...

BoingoBongo
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 21, 2008, 12:57 PM

I think the MB is probably best suited for your needs. I was in the same boat last week, and I opted for the MB over the MBP. Both are great machines, but the pro just didn't offer enough added benefits to justify paying more.

The MB is very fast and powerful. I don't think you'll regret it.

kylef
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 21, 2008, 02:21 PM

Sounds like a job for the 2.4GHz MacBook

applesbiggestfan  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 21, 2008, 06:45 PM

Thing is...

I don't wanna take the chance I will regret it...

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Oct 21, 2008, 07:47 PM

Get the machine that will fit your needs.

The MacBook's weight and size is great if you travel or are quite mobile, performance is very good but if you're into games or use Aperture (or any other application that leverages the GPU) then the MBP might be a better fit.

The MacBook Pro's screen is better, its larger which means more screen real estate to use, you get a better GPU and a firewire port. All for 400 dollars more (2.4Ghz MB vs. 2.4GHz MBP)

Personally I'm getting the MBP because of the GPU, which makes it more future proof insofar as that the performance increase will stave off an upgrade that much sooner - or so goes the logic.

Sounds like the usage you've stated that the MB is a great fit and I'd recommend that, its cheaper, lighter, performance is close to the MBP and if you don't care about the FW, go for it
~Mike

mduell
Posting Junkie
Oct 21, 2008, 11:13 PM

Laptops are not future-proof. Buy a refurb today (or in a month) that meets your expected needs for the next ~2 years.

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Oct 22, 2008, 01:30 AM

Try both at a store and see how big a deal the extra screen real estate is to you. And be aware that the MB lacks Firewire, which is a HUGE deal for many folks trying to move data (video, still images) from hard drives at a decent transfer rate. USB is ok for backup but that is about it.

Note too that whichever box you choose the 4-GB RAM maximum means the box will not be future proof.

-Allen Wicks

applesbiggestfan  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 22, 2008, 05:29 AM

maflynn the Macbook Pro is like 1000 dollars more.

And If I was to get a MBP instead of a MB why would I get the same processor speed?

What is most important to me:
50% - Processor
30% - GPU
15% - Size
4% - Screen
1% - Resolution

Simon
Posting Junkie
Oct 22, 2008, 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by applesbiggestfan View Post
What is most important to me:
50% - Processor
30% - GPU
15% - Size
4% - Screen
1% - Resolution
In that case it's easy.

Your personal figure of merit = clock*0.5 + gpu_performance*0.3 + 0.15/volume + resolution*0.05

The one that gets the biggest number is the one you want to buy.

OreoCookie
Oct 22, 2008, 06:30 AM

Hey Simon, I thought you knew better than that (watch the units, hint, hint )!
Just kidding, of course!
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Oct 22, 2008, 06:42 AM

That was part of the joke. Obviously not a very good one though.

OreoCookie
Oct 22, 2008, 07:10 AM

No, I was fairly amused. It's a classic insider, though.

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Oct 22, 2008, 07:32 AM

maflynn the Macbook Pro is like 1000 dollars more.
If your comparing the 2.4GHz models then the MBP is only 400 dollars more. 1600 vs 2000

The other alu model is 1300 vs. 2000 so the price difference is 700.

If you're comparing MB vs. MBP and wanting to future proof your investment then I'd say the 999 MacBook model is not part of the equation since in essence its the prior generation.

As I said in my other post, I think the MBP gives you the most bang for your buck provided you run applications that will leverage the GPU or you need/want the larger screen. The MB is a better deal if you don't run those apps or are more concerned about size/weight.

Nobody can truly answer the question but you as only you know what your needs are and its your money
~Mike

applesbiggestfan  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 22, 2008, 03:22 PM

Yeah, I think I'm going with the Macbook Pro:
After all, if I'm going to get a laptop why not get the best one.

- Better screen
- Better processor
- Better graphics
- Better hard drive

The only thing bothering me is the price of a 2.8Ghz MBP with a 320gb hard drive...

acidchicken
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 23, 2008, 01:25 PM

How does the MBP have a better hard drive? You can order a 320gb HDD 5400 or 7200 in the MB.
WWF rules

iREZ
Professional Poster
Oct 23, 2008, 01:29 PM

maybe he/she means stock pricing
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

applesbiggestfan  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 23, 2008, 02:55 PM

You can't get a 7,200-rpm Hard Drive on the new Macbooks...

MB = 320Gb 5,400-rpm
MBP = 320Gb 7,200-rpm

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Oct 23, 2008, 03:46 PM

Sure you can - just go to newegg.com and buy one. I'd rather order a stock model and then upgrade the components (memory/hard drive) as needed. Its generally less expensive then buying it from apple and by getting a stock model, I have more options in terms of warranty/returns. a CTO macbook has to be repaired (or sent in to apple), where as a stock model can be replaced at the apple store. Plus if I really am disappointed with it, I can get my money back, not so with the CTO build.
~Mike

Ted L. Nancy
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 23, 2008, 10:22 PM

No computer is future proof.

Go with the MB, either model.
10.7.1 on Mac Pro 8x2.8

Ted L. Nancy
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 23, 2008, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by Maflynn View Post
Sure you can - just go to newegg.com and buy one. I'd rather order a stock model and then upgrade the components (memory/hard drive) as needed. Its generally less expensive then buying it from apple and by getting a stock model, I have more options in terms of warranty/returns. a CTO macbook has to be repaired (or sent in to apple), where as a stock model can be replaced at the apple store. Plus if I really am disappointed with it, I can get my money back, not so with the CTO build.
Sure, but getting the upgrades in advance through Apple keeps all those components under Apple's warranty.

It's a decision that needs to be made, all factors considered, on a case-by-case basis.

In the case of this MBs, I got the cheapest 5400RPM Apple offers and use it in an external enclosure for TM backups. I ordered a SSD from newegg to replace it. Now I have a quiet, quick HD in my MB and a portable backup HD to go alongside. If the backup drive ever gets sick, I'll just drop it back into the MB and send it all in for a free repair.
10.7.1 on Mac Pro 8x2.8

OreoCookie
Oct 24, 2008, 08:38 AM

I don't think the new MacBook is less future-proof than the ProBook. Or that it is really slower for what you do. Both are equally fast, all machines these days are `built for multitasking.' Nor do I think that getting a 7.2k drive will make a whole lot of difference compared with other factors. Getting enough RAM will make a difference (for either machine).

You will have to replace a computer after about four years anyway no matter if it is a MacBook or a ProBook. So unless you have a special need -- which according to your posts you don't have --, the MacBook will be as fast as a ProBook (if you get the same cpu). The low-end ProBook and the high-end MacBook have the same cpu and since your tasks do not really make use of gpu acceleration, both machines will be equally fast.

To me you sound like you would prefer a MacBook due to its size, but you're concerned that `getting a Mac without a Pro badge' somehow means that it's not as long-lived. Am I right?
I've lived off three iBooks and I far preferred their size, the 12" iBook was much more compact and usable to take notes in class and to lug it around. My 15" ProBook fills my backpack much more than my iBook did.

applesbiggestfan  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 24, 2008, 11:22 AM

But of course I am not going to get the 2.4 macbook pro...
then the only difference will be the graphics and the and the macbook pro will be bigger.

If I get a Macbook Pro I am not going to use a lot of money just to get less than 2.8Ghz.

If I am going to spend a lot of money then I would rather take the highest end.

OreoCookie
Oct 24, 2008, 11:48 AM

So what about the question I've asked, do you have an answer for that?
Originally Posted by myself
To me you sound like you would prefer a MacBook due to its size, but you're concerned that `getting a Mac without a Pro badge' somehow means that it's not as long-lived. Am I right?

Arkham_c
Mac Elite
Oct 24, 2008, 11:56 AM

I'd get the cheapest aluminum MB, and save the rest of the money in an interest bearing account. By the time the MB is obsolete, you can use the saved money and interest to get a new MB, which will be cheaper than the MBP and faster, and you can sell your old aluminum MB to recoup the difference.
Mac Pro 2x 2.66 GHz Dual core, Apple TV 160GB, two Windows XP PCs

mduell
Posting Junkie
Oct 24, 2008, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by Ted L. Nancy View Post
Sure, but getting the upgrades in advance through Apple keeps all those components under Apple's warranty.
Apple's 1-3 year warranty is less than or at best equal to the 3-5 year warranties on hard drives and lifetime warranties on memory.

BoingoBongo
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 24, 2008, 06:49 PM

But of course I am not going to get the 2.4 macbook pro...
then the only difference will be the graphics and the and the macbook pro will be bigger.

If I get a Macbook Pro I am not going to use a lot of money just to get less than 2.8Ghz.

If I am going to spend a lot of money then I would rather take the highest end.
That's an understandable idea, but it's usually not going to get you the best bang for your buck. The absolute "high" end configurations are pretty much for bragging rights.

But of course, if you have the money, go for it.

applesbiggestfan  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 25, 2008, 04:25 AM

Yeah the highest end models are also for bragging rights...
But in 4 years anyone would regret having a 2.4Ghz or a 2.53Ghz so I would rather get the longest lasting and best one if I can.

In about 2 weeks I am going to the Apple store and I'll look at the Macbook and the Macbook Pro and I'll look at the prices.
I'm pretty sure I will get the Macbook Pro...

Anyways, thanks for all the help and tips, etc...

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Oct 25, 2008, 07:03 AM

But in 4 years anyone would regret having a 2.4Ghz or a 2.53Ghz so I would rather get the longest lasting and best one if I can.
Generally no, at least in my case, I don't buy the fastest just because but if the configuration/price fulfills my needs. I just bought a 2.53Ghz (over a 2.4) for a variety of reasons. I had a 2.4 before, it was not the fastest and to be honest I've not regretted buying that computer. It was great. Its no heading off to ebay hopefully to garner a high price
~Mike

Smillz
Oct 25, 2008, 10:28 AM

I have a 2.2 ghz macbook for a year now, have no regretted it once. I regularly have firefox, adium, transmission and itunes all open with only 1 gb of ram....all runs fine

Geofries
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 25, 2008, 11:32 AM

Here I am happy with my OG Core Duo 1.83ghz MB.

Whenever I update I hope it's worth it. I'm waiting for snow leopard though.

ingeniero
Oct 25, 2008, 12:06 PM

I upgraded to the new 2.53 MBP from the last G4 Powerbook before intel. (1.67) Major upgrade. I love this new machine. And with the new vid card, i can stick WoW on here.

applesbiggestfan  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 25, 2008, 01:05 PM

I love wow!

midiamore.com.au
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 26, 2008, 09:38 AM

I had the same challenge. I ended up getting the 2.4 MB because of the CPU and value for money. I didn't need the more powerful graphics as I mostly do audio. Only thing I might miss at some point is the Firewire 800. For any serious studio work I'd prefer an eight core Mac Pro anyway.
I've had the 2.4 MB for a week now and am really happy with it. (And I love those backlit keys, the guy in the Sydney Apple Store didn't know that you only get that on the 2.4 MB in addition to the MBPs of course.)

Cheers Espen

DCJ001
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 27, 2008, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by Smillz View Post
I have a 2.2 ghz macbook for a year now, have no regretted it once. I regularly have firefox, adium, transmission and itunes all open with only 1 gb of ram....all runs fine
And, if you max out your RAM to 4GB for about $65, you'll see a tremendous performance boost.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Oct 27, 2008, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by DCJ001 View Post
And, if you max out your RAM to 4GB for about $65, you'll see a tremendous performance boost.
Even better, $52 shipped.

Forum Links
Forum Rules