Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Overcharged on my credit card, what do I do now?

Overcharged on my credit card, what do I do now?
macintologist
Professional Poster
Feb 22, 2009, 11:34 PM

I called an airline's reservation desk to purchase an airline ticket. Before giving my Visa number to the agent, I specifically said, "I want you to confirm the dollar amount you will charge my card."

She responded: "1200 dollars (approximately)
I said: "Ok, so the amount you will charge my credit card is 1200 dollars is that correct?"
She responded: "Yes sir that is correct"

Two days later, my bank calls me asking if I authorized a $2500 to purchase a plane ticket. I said hell no, and they told me to talk to the airline to get it sorted out.

I will call the airline tomorrow and very assertively demand that they either charge back 1300 bucks to bring the price back down to the promised amount of 1200, or that they completely charge back the entire ticket and cancel the entire reservation.

If they refuse to either lower the price, or give me a complete and unequivocal refund, I will need to threaten them in some way, that I will report their business practice or I will talk to Visa, or something.

Is there anything I should know, legal wise, or any facts or threats that I should know to arm myself so that I don't possibly get pushed around by the airline customer service agent on the phone?

MacNNUK
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 22, 2009, 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by macintologist View Post
I called an airline's reservation desk to purchase an airline ticket. Before giving my Visa number to the agent, I specifically said, "I want you to confirm the dollar amount you will charge my card."

She responded: "1200 dollars (approximately)
I said: "Ok, so the amount you will charge my credit card is 1200 dollars is that correct?"
She responded: "Yes sir that is correct"

Two days later, my bank calls me asking if I authorized a $2500 to purchase a plane ticket. I said hell no, and they told me to talk to the airline to get it sorted out.

I will call the airline tomorrow and very assertively demand that they either charge back 1300 bucks to bring the price back down to the promised amount of 1200, or that they completely charge back the entire ticket and cancel the entire reservation.

If they refuse to either lower the price, or give me a complete and unequivocal refund, I will need to threaten them in some way, that I will report their business practice or I will talk to Visa, or something.

Is there anything I should know, legal wise, or any facts or threats that I should know to arm myself so that I don't possibly get pushed around by the airline customer service agent on the phone?
Contact CC co. and ask for a Chargeback, give them details anyway.

iMac Intel Core i5, 2.5GHz, 4GB RAM, 500GB 21.5" Monitor 10.8.3.
iMac 17" 2.0ghz Intel Core 2 Duo w 3gb memory (White one) 10.6.8.
Internal 500gb / 8x external HDD's 250GB - 3TB (4x Time Machine)

milhous
Mac Elite
Feb 22, 2009, 11:47 PM

things like this happen, so just call the airline and see what's going on.

it's really no different than ordering something online and clicking the submit button twice, which submits two orders. not to say that this is what exactly happened in this case, but from the approximate price and the amount the credit card company told you, it's a reasonable explanation.

worst case, just cancel the reservation and start over. if it can't be resolved to your satisfaction, just let the credit card company know and have them contest the charge.
F = ma

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Feb 22, 2009, 11:55 PM

I agree with milhous. Also, for future purchases, get an AmEx if you don't already have one. They're ruthless about taking care of this type of thing.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Feb 23, 2009, 12:03 AM

No need to stress out just yet. A nice polite call should do the trick.
If it doesn't, then it's time to threaten them with drowning their puppies and selling their first-born's body parts on the black market.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

macintologist  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 23, 2009, 12:11 AM

Does it matter if it's a foreign airline? It's Air France.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Feb 23, 2009, 12:16 AM

Do you have access to thermonuclear explosive devices?
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 23, 2009, 12:18 AM

When you call them, try to act French. I've heard they love that!

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Feb 23, 2009, 12:44 AM

Do keep in mind there is a difference between an authorization and the actual charge. However, I don't understand why they'd do an authorization for that much more than the cost of the ticket.
Vandelay Industries

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 23, 2009, 01:40 AM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
I agree with milhous. Also, for future purchases, get an AmEx if you don't already have one. They're ruthless about taking care of this type of thing.
Absolutely seconded.

Amex has never let me down.

-t

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 23, 2009, 01:41 AM

Does it matter if it's a foreign airline? It's Air France.
No, it shouldn't. You're dealing with the US branch of AF.

-t

Eug
Clinically Insane
Feb 23, 2009, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
Well, I called AmEx because a hotel charged me $40 extra for stuff from the mini-bar... even though I took nothing from the mini-bar. AmEx did not investigate it all. They just gave me back the money. It's good I got my money back but it still pissed me off that the hotel overcharged me. I asked AmEx to investigate further but they refused, saying it was a waste of time for an amount that small.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 23, 2009, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
Well, I called AmEx because a hotel charged me $40 extra for stuff from the mini-bar... even though I took nothing from the mini-bar. AmEx did not investigate it all. They just gave me back the money. It's good I got my money back but it still pissed me off that the hotel overcharged me. I asked AmEx to investigate further but they refused, saying it was a waste of time for an amount that small.
They don't investigate for amounts less than $ 50.

If you dispute any charge < $50 online (takes 2 minutes), you'll get the credit the next day. No questions asked.

-t

Forum Links
Forum Rules