Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > True Blood

True Blood (Page 2)
andi*pandi
Jul 28, 2009, 11:00 AM

I do like Maryann, and the vampire parenting lightens things up... but the last ep was just slooow and nothing happened. Sometimes it bothers me that Sookie is such a scatterbrain.

Interesting how Maryann was channeling Gram in the last scene with Tara though... down to the apron, reading, and food on the table.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jul 28, 2009, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by Atheist View Post
Hey! How about a spoiler tag!
If you insist, but I believe that the TV series isn't going to go into that much detail. The show producers seem to enjoy glossing over some rather large points.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 12, 2009, 06:22 PM

(Spoiler for this past episode, in case anyone isn't caught up!)

So, who else thinks Godric is a goner? I notice that they got Eric, Bill and Lorena out before Luke set them up the bomb, so I think all the vampires in that room are going to die. I'm not exactly sure how Sookie and Jason will survive the silver shrapnel, though. It's just as harmful to humans, albeit for a different reason.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 12, 2009, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
(Spoiler for this past episode, in case anyone isn't caught up!)

So, who else thinks Godric is a goner? I notice that they got Eric, Bill and Lorena out before Luke set them up the bomb, so I think all the vampires in that room are going to die. I'm not exactly sure how Sookie and Jason will survive the silver shrapnel, though. It's just as harmful to humans, albeit for a different reason.
I think Godric will survive. I don't know how well it will follow the book, as Godric's character is significantly different as previously portrayed (he wasn't Sheriff in the book, and as I recall, not Eric's maker either), but I think he'll be around for a bit and probably be worked into the story a little more.

Is anyone else sick of Eggs and Tara? Blah. Next time I see that guy holding a guitar I'm gonna puke.

I think Jessica has become my favorite character on the show, despite that fact that she's a doppelganger of my ex. The seriously look so much alike that it's sometimes weird to watch the show. But whatever. I think they've brought the character along nicely.
Nemo me impune lacesset

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Aug 12, 2009, 11:30 PM

yeah, Jessica's problem is very... unique.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 13, 2009, 12:56 AM

Originally Posted by ThinkInsane View Post
I think Godric will survive. I don't know how well it will follow the book, as Godric's character is significantly different as previously portrayed (he wasn't Sheriff in the book, and as I recall, not Eric's maker either), but I think he'll be around for a bit and probably be worked into the story a little more.
Hopefully. He's interesting, but he's a little bit Mary Sue-ish to the point where it seems like they're setting him up to die. Is he that way in the books?

Is anyone else sick of Eggs and Tara?
Many episodes ago, yes. I think the show should just reveal that they're stuck in a time loop and that's why they've been doing the same boring crap for an entire friggin' season.

I think Jessica has become my favorite character on the show, despite that fact that she's a doppelganger of my ex. The seriously look so much alike that it's sometimes weird to watch the show. But whatever. I think they've brought the character along nicely.
Yes, they've taken her in an interesting direction. I like how she exposes Bill's anti-vampire leanings too. It gives him something to do other than try to find new ways to inflect the name "Sookie."
Chuck
___

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 13, 2009, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
Hopefully. He's interesting, but he's a little bit Mary Sue-ish to the point where it seems like they're setting him up to die. Is he that way in the books?
In the book, he was just a 2000 year old kid that had had enough and just wanted to die. He wasn't taken by the Fellowship of the Sun, he gave himself to them. I can't remember, it's been a while since I read it (and I only read the first two, they really aren't great books) but I think he gladly went to the bon fire and went up in smoke.

The vampire that was actually captured and then rescued was just a regular vampire. Stan was the sheriff, and is described as being a nerd. Sookie was rescued by a shapeshifter like Sam and a pack of werewolves. Maryanne (Callisto in the book) isn't really a character at all, they know she's around, and the vampires offer tribute to try and placate her, but other than attacking Sookie in the woods and showing up at the end, I think those were her only actual appearances. Her presence is all it takes to kick off the orgies, and Lafayette gets killed during an orgy and stuffed into Andy's car.

So yeah, they use the books as a guide book for the season, and they so far have hit most of the major plot points, but reading the books won't really ruin the season for you, outside of a general understanding of what might happen. Same thing with Dexter, I guess if you want to get 24 episodes out of a novel, you have to take some liberties with the story to flesh it out a bit.

I'm just glad that so far they've left Elvis to rest in peace. I think Harris kind of pushed her luck a little with that character.
( Last edited by ThinkInsane; Aug 13, 2009 at 10:10 AM. )
Nemo me impune lacesset

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Aug 13, 2009, 09:34 AM

So yeah, they use the books as a guide book for the season, and they so far have hit most of the major plot points, but reading the books won't really ruin the season for you, outside of a general understanding of what might happen. Same thing with [Dexter/], I guess if you want to get 24 episodes out of a novel, you have to take some liberties with the story to flesh it out a bit.
Also like Dexter (can't wait for the new season!) in that the writing for the show is vastly superior for the writing in the books... I tried reading the first Sookie Stackhouse book, and seriously couldn't even finish the first chapter (I at least managed to read both of the Dexter books all the way through)...

Atheist
Mac Elite
Aug 13, 2009, 10:48 AM

Although I like this season, the plot lines seem to be going all over the place. It's almost like they're trying to do too much.

Bill and his constant angst is irritating. Sam looks like he has a headache all the time. I think Godric needs to die. I thought I was going to like Lafayette's character but I find myself distracted by Nelsan Ellis' acting. He comes off uncomfortable in the character. Eggs is fun to look at but the Tara/Eggs thing has grown tiresome. I still find Maryann creepy and would probably prefer if her character were more in the background as in the books. Definitely enjoying the Jessica/Hoyt courtship.

Don't get me wrong. I'm still a huge fan and will be watching as long as they keep producing it. (Glad to see HBO has picked it up for a third season).

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 13, 2009, 11:26 AM

I thought I was going to like Lafayette's character but I find myself distracted by Nelsan Ellis' acting.
I really liked Lafayette in the first season. I thought he was the best character on the show, and I thought Ellis did a great job committing to the character. This season it seems like they've considerably scaled back Lafayette's role, though, so maybe people agree with you.

I still find Maryann creepy and would probably prefer if her character were more in the background as in the books.
I think that's the intended reaction.
Chuck
___

Forum Links
Forum Rules